Findmall.com

Whites DFX Users Classroom Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Re: I'm a Whites DFX user any others?
Posted by: Blind Squirrel
Date: July 03, 2017 12:32PM
Kentuck11, I would agree - you are not missing much with your DFX - you KNOW how to use it! The DFX to me is like putting on an old comfortable pair of boots - they just fit perfectly. The V3i can go a bit deeper and sometimes that is the difference between putting a good find in the pouch - or not. And like you, I enjoy experimenting - trial and error to maximize a detectors performance at a given site. The V3i affords me the opportunity to customize the detector to MY liking. That's a feature that I really enjoy. I have dug some very deep good targets with my DFX though. At my relic site, a large ranch on the Pecos River in west Texas, on an old military trail that was blazed in 1849, I have made some of my best finds with the DFX ( quite a few with my V3i too), I dug 23 spent Spencer rounds at 16" - all in one hole. Knowing that there were some deep targets in that area, on my next hunt I slowed my physical sweep speed and increased my A. C. Sens to 68 and my D.C. Sens to 45 and dug an 1851-1874 Cavalry Officers Sword Belt Plate at a measured 14". About 50 yards from there I dug a Mexican Plate circa 1847 amidst several spent percussion caps. I have often wondered if they were shooting at each other? Who knows? But it sure was fun finding these relics.

Kentuck11, most of my hunting is at vacant lots, old vacant houses and house tare downs. I get to that relic site 3 or 4 times a year - it's a 200 mile round trip. I don't do too much beach hunting - South Padre Island is about 400 miles each way. What kind of hunting to you focus on? If you want to see some of my finds (with the accompanying story ) search Blind Squirrel on the DFX and V3i forums. Here is a picture of the 2 plates that I mentioned. Best of luck and...

Happy Hunting!
Blind Squirrel

Posted by: Mega
Date: July 03, 2017 01:15PM
Blind Squirrel
Kentuck11, I would agree - you are not missing much with your DFX - you KNOW how to use it! The DFX to me is like putting on an old comfortable pair of boots - they just fit perfectly.

Happy Hunting!
Blind Squirrel

I totally agree with you,must be honest i dont use my DFX hardly at all these days,the only coil i use is the 12'' Hotshot coil which is ultra light weight for its size,and although its a largish coil it still hits very small targets.The crops are in full growth at the moment so only doing pasture sites till harvest time,then deep ploughing begins and the cycle starts all over again.At the moment the ground is also like concrete,so have been doing some magnet fishing for a change and it is most enjoyable as well.

Deus and Nexus MP main everyday detectors

Displays on a Detector are really the equivalent of relying on sub-titles,give me a Analogue machine anyday.

Some of my site specific use machines.
TDI Pro 20'' Mono
Nexus SE dual 9'' coil
Nexus MP 14x13
Fisher TW-5 twin box
Crossbow PI Coiltek 14x9 Mono
Mirage PI 5'' Mono
DFX 18'' Detech
T2 SEF15x12
IDX Pro 15'' Concentric
Arado120b
B1 and B3
Trident11 Extreme NEL Snake

Mainly hunt deep ploughed and pasture sites,trashy roman/saxon and celtic permissions.

Posted by: Kentuck11
Date: July 04, 2017 10:06AM
Blind Squirrel, those are some interesting and excellent finds! You're right, I wonder if maybe they were shooting at each other? That's very interesting. Sounds like you do similar detecting to me and in similar areas. If I go to the beach it would be on Mustang Island down at Port Aransas, but I only go there once or twice a year. Most of my detecting is done on properties we own. In front of my house is the old stagecoach trail dating back to the early 1800's long before the Civil War. I found dimes dating 1834 and 1868, and a nickel dating to 1857. Pennies were found farther from that area and some dates are from 1919 to the 1930's. I found a token(Daquin Bros.) from Louisiana 'Good For A Free Loaf Of Bread' , or a hard times token dated to 1836-1840, and one that is in good shape sells for $1350.00. I find tons of buttons and saddle buckles hoes, files, etc, as this area was also a farm where slaves apparently took care of the property. I also found a rusted derringer. No one alive today can tell me exactly where the road went, but the landscape shows some signs, so I detect all areas and find the 'hotspots'. I recently found another homesite and am searching that area now as time permits. There is also a slave cemetery somewhere on this property but no one knows where it is. I have been searching for it but never found it. I would like to find it and fence it in and clean it up just as respect for the deceased buried there.
There is also an old community located about 3 miles from here, that no one has ever detected, that disappeared back in the early 1900's after the train was re-routed and bypassed the community. In 1899, there are still articles mentioning it had a sawmill, dry goods store, grocery store, saloon, dancehall, school and train depot, but all is gone. It's was called the community of Buescher. The only remaining evidence of the town is a cement sidewalk in my parents front pasture that was either in front of the depot, store, or saloon. There has to be pictures somewhere of this community or some other info somewhere that would help locate these buildings. I know where the sawmill was since it stood until the 1970's and I know where the school was, but all else is just a guess. I have been wanting to go search my parents property to see what I can find, and I will as soon as it gets cooler this coming Fall. Should be a very interesting hunt.
I'll have to find out which parts of Port A are open for metal detecting before we go this year.
Again, nice finds and pictures, Blind Squirrel.
Kentuck

Date: July 04, 2017 10:39AM
Mega, I know what you mean about the 'concrete' ground. We finally got another good rain here, so I can go out and 'dig' again, and detecting and finding deep targets is easier after the ground is moist. I could only dig about 3 inches deep before the rain so I had to give up on some targets and come back later. I have been finding brass buckles and other copper straps, cogs, and buttons at 9+ inches, and some at a foot or more. I guess the many years of being buried makes the targets 'larger'. I am in search of coins mainly, but the fun is in the 'dig' and never knowing exactly what I have until I uncover it, so I am happy no matter what I dig up.

Posted by: Zinc Penny
Date: July 04, 2017 01:19PM
Kentuck11
Mega, I know what you mean about the 'concrete' ground. We finally got another good rain here, so I can go out and 'dig' again, and detecting and finding deep targets is easier after the ground is moist. I could only dig about 3 inches deep before the rain so I had to give up on some targets and come back later. I have been finding brass buckles and other copper straps, cogs, and buttons at 9+ inches, and some at a foot or more. I guess the many years of being buried makes the targets 'larger'. I am in search of coins mainly, but the fun is in the 'dig' and never knowing exactly what I have until I uncover it, so I am happy no matter what I dig up.

Wish I had targets like that majority of mine are with 1-4 inches or 12-16 not even joking nothing in between but that's with a v3i I sold my dfx

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/04/2017 01:19PM by Zinc Penny.

Date: July 04, 2017 02:13PM
Zinc Penny

Wish I had targets like that majority of mine are with 1-4 inches or 12-16 not even joking nothing in between but that's with a v3i I sold my dfx

Zinc Penny, the deepest coin I ever dug, was a dime at 9 inches but likely a bit deeper. Most coins I dig are 6 inches or less, but I get trash down to 2 feet and more, if it is a large object, which is everywhere here. Copper, brass, and other such metals, if the item is large enough, say 1.5 to 3 inches in diameter, I will find them at 12 to 14 inches regularly if the ground is moist.

Date: July 05, 2017 04:14PM
Mega, reading this thread makes me think that it is time to take the DFX out on my next hunt. Detector weight is not a concern for me with either the DFX or the V3i - I use a "swingy thingy" so regardless of coil selection from the 4x6 up to the 14" DD coil the detector has a weight of one ounce. It's a necessity when hunting in 100 + degree temperatures to avoid arm and shoulder fatigue. Good luck to you while pasture hunting and when the fields get plowed!

Happy Hunting!
Blind Squirrel

Date: July 05, 2017 05:49PM
Kentuck11, Thanks! Those are some nice coin finds that you have dug! You have some good dirt to detect. While searching for old building locations , have you tried using Google Earth? Often trails and outlines of old structures can be identified by using Google Earth. I know, I have had success finding likely detecting sites by using it.

I hope that you can find that cemetary. That would be great to clean it up and fence it in. A few years ago, I was contacted by a church group south of Fredricksburgh where in the 1920's there was a flood that disturbed headstones in their cemetery and I and a friend went down there and located the graves. We used a White's 2 box detector and DFX's.

My wife's brother lives in Hauma La. and I've done some detecting down there. His sister-in-law has some property that goes back to the 1820's with slave quarters behind their home. Unfortunately, so far, I haven't been able to get permission to detect that area. She said that I would only find nails! hahah. I said I only find nails if I WANT to.

That old token that you dug sounds really neat! Can you post a picture of it? Best of luck and...

Happy Hunting!
Blind Squirrel

Date: July 06, 2017 02:48PM
Thanks, Blind Squirrel! Yes, I have searched Google Earth many times but it was little help. I know there was an old road going through my place here, and also a wagon trail, and there are only a few features remaining showing any details of the old roads. My neighbors property is still owned by slave descendants and they know there is a cemetery here also, but they don't know where, and they even have grandparents buried in it. There was a small church next to it also. I have a pretty good idea where it was, but can't locate the sandstone tombstones anywhere. The slaves could not write, but the tombstones had carvings in them, that is all I know. I think my neighbor knew more but he would never tell me, and he has sinced passed away. One guy who is now in his 90's told me a while back that the cemetery was closer to the creek and in the bottom land, and when a heavy rain came through many years ago, the creek got enlarged and the banks washed away and some of the tombstones apparently fell into the creek, but I have found no evidence yet. I have 300-500 year old oak trees in front of my house where I found the token and coins, and countless other items that I will try to get some pictures of later. I attached some coin photos and the token photo. The token is in very bad shape, but if you look it up online, one in better condition sells for $1350. Mine has probably been in the ground for over 150 years and it does not look very good, but just it's rarity alone makes it probably worth a couple hundred dollars, or more.
The same wagon trail that went through here made it's nightly stop about 8 miles past here, on it's way to the Austin area. A woman told me many years ago that when she was little, her family would go looking for gold that was lost during a stagecoach robbery years earlier. This woman would be at least 130 years old if she was alive today, and she went with her family back when she was a little girl looking for this gold. The story goes, that the coach driver and shotgun rider, would take all the valuables and put them underground somewhere for safe keeping in case they were robbed at night. Well, they were robbed and all were killed, but the money was safe, but it has never been recovered. A friend of mine has searched for it for many years and we went on Google Earth to help find the location but there is no clue, and there are no old maps either showing any roads or exact stagecoach roads.
As far as locating anything about the old Buescher community, there is little to go on but there are articles online about the community but no maps or photos.

Here are a few pictures. Front and back of the token. A front and back picture of the 1834 dime. Back of the 1868 nickel, and front of the mexican 5 centavos piece.

Date: July 06, 2017 03:31PM
From Houma, LA? She's not related to Troy Landry, huh? :)) Anyway, there should be some interesting finds if you ever get to go detecting there, but just like here, the moist gulf coast wreaks havoc on buried items down here. Nothing seems to last long like it does say, in Colorado, far away from the coast and salt water and high constant humidity. I found a 1924? Colorado car license plate in the mountains around Dove Creek a few years ago, and it was in pretty good shape considering being there for so many years. Here, it would have disappeared to the elements many years ago.

Date: July 06, 2017 03:50PM
Here are some more photos of another dime, the other side of the nickel and Mexican nickel, and a piece of iron 6 inches long, 4.5 inches tall and about 1 inch thick. It is heavy and I thought it was a pistol when I first dug it up. I have no idea what it was used for or what it most likely broke off of. Any ideas?

Date: July 10, 2017 11:47AM
Oh, and the token is written on one side in English, and written in French on the other side, Daquin Brothers. N. Orleans. Good For One Loaf Of Bread. Minted between 1836 to 1840. Known as a 'Hard Times Token'. It is the size of the US quarter, but thinner.

Date: July 10, 2017 01:56PM
Kentuck11--

Those are some REALLY nice finds! I get fired-up seeing finds like that! Your Shield Nickel is a nice one. A buddy of mine dug a nice 1868 at the relic site that I took him too. I've dug 2 Shield Nickles but neither one of them has a legible date. Your 1857-O LSD is a dandy!! And what can I say about your token?? That token combines rarity and history and it had to have made your day! Thanks for posting those pictures - they represent a lot of good times for you!

Kentuck11, I'm guessing that you live in Colorado County? I have the 10 volume set of United States Treasure Atlas which lists detecting leads for every county in the U.S. Colorado County has 15 listings of ghost towns. You probably are already aware of them all but in the event that you are not, I would be happy to give you the list with directions. Best of luck and...

Happy Hunting!
Blind Squirrel

Date: July 10, 2017 03:53PM
Thanks, Blind Squirrel! Yes, the Seated Liberty Dime and the Shield nickel are my favorites, so far, but they are all treasures. The dime is in particularly good shape for being in the ground for so long. I know of a few ghost towns here. I know where the old school was in Rock Island, and a few other businesses, but they are now paved over or on private property and people there don't like outsiders coming in, they are very 'clanish' if you know what I mean. Vox Populi and Provident City are not allowed visitors for searching without custodians accompanying you. Nada and Garwood are nearby, but are heavily populated so I don't know about detecting in those small towns. No one will tell me about Matthews and whether I can search the area or not, and I have no idea who to contact locally. Oakland would be a good place to search but it is still occupied and Osage has a church there, but I don't know of where any other structures stood. I had relatives that lived in the Pisek area and a great grandfather had a blacksmith shop there and I have a picture of it, but no one knows exactly where the shop stood, and like most other towns, almost all other structures are long gone. It is not far from Lone Oak, where we own property and there is an old house/barn still standing on the property where a man used to live up till the 1950's. His water source was a spring in the nearby creek which still exists. I have detected there twice without any luck finding anything of value. Buescher is one of the lesser known lost towns and I know where the sawmill and school were, and the church was supposedly nearby. The slab in my parents front pasture was to one of the stores or saloon, or depot so there should be some good finds in that area as soon as I get a chance to search there. There are some other small communities that might be considered ghost towns since they were once thriving but there is little chance of detecting these towns as they are mostly rebuilt with new houses and businesses. Flower Hill is on private property. A list and any directions you can give me for other ghost towns in this area would be much appreciated, thank you for the offer!

Date: July 11, 2017 01:59AM
Howdy Kentuck11--

Here are the listings for Colorado County, Tx from the United States Treasure Atlas, Volume 9. If any of these leads put a goodie or 2 in your pouch it will have made my day!

1) PISEK: In the extreme N corner of the county on RR, 7 miles E of Fayetteville.
2) BERNARDO: On the San Bernardo River, 5 miles SW of Cat Spring.
3) LORINE: On RR, 7 miles NW of Columbus.
4) OLD OSAGE: 6 miles NE of Weimer at the present county park.
5) BORDEN: On RR, 5 miles WSW of Glidden.
6) MENTZ: 5 miles NE of Alleyton.
7) RAMSEY: On RR, 6 miles NW of Eagle Lake.
8) CHESTERVILLE: On RR and E county line, 7.5 miles E of Eagle Lake.
9) SHIMEK: near the W county line 5 miles SE of Oakland.
10) LAKESIDE: On RR, 2 miles S of Eagle Lake.
11) RICELAND:On RR 1 mile S of (GT) Lakeside.
12) RAYNER: On RR, 1 mile S of (GT) Riceland
13) ELDRIDGE: On RR and SE county line, 2.5 miles SE of Garwood.
14) PROVIDENT CITY: In the S corner of the county, 10 miles SW of Nada.
15) BURNAM'S FERRY (site): at the junction of the Osage River Road and Osage Road in Weimer.
16) BENSON'S CROSSING (site): SE of Columbus where Hwy. 90 crosses the Colorado River. Relics & artifacts have been found at the crossing and campsite.

The above are all of the listings for Colorado County. Old Osage looks like it may have potential without having to procure permission to detect and could yield some interesting finds. If you find these sites to be helpful and would like listings for other counties, I would be happy to oblige. Best of luck and...

Happy Hunting!
Blind Squirrel

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login