Findmall.com

Whites DFX Users Classroom Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Re: I'm a Whites DFX user any others?
Posted by: Kentuck11
Date: July 11, 2017 10:39AM
I never heard of Lorine, Shimek, Lakeside, Riceland, Raynor or Eldridge, so I will definitely check those out. "Benson's Crossing", they have it listed wrong, it should be Beason's Crossing, and I have been there before but never found anything old. The treeline covers a lot now, and the 'jungle' along the river is impassable. Santa Anna's arm supposedly crossed and camped there also. Old Osage has a church there, and a cemetery, but no evidence of businesses but I will go back there again and check it out. Ramsey is deep on private property. Borden and Bernardo each have a store still there but no evidence of other businesses. Mentz also has a church and a cemetery but no evidence of other earlier businesses. Thanks a lot for that list and I will definitely be checking the 'new' ones out and rechecking on some of the older ones. Thanks Again!!

Posted by: Blind Squirrel
Date: July 12, 2017 12:31AM
Kentuck11--

I hope that you find those sites to be useful and productive. At the very least they will give you some new sites to research and if you are like I am - half of the fun is in the hunt! The finds are just icing on the cake. The spelling in the listings were probably not inaccurate - just my poor typing skills. I'm still a 2 finger typist hahah.

Not being familiar with the area, I was wondering if there was an Osage and an OLD Osage? In the listing it specifically said "Old Osage" and that there was now a county park on the site. That got my attention. It may be a site that could yield a good find or 2. Anyway have fun and best of luck and...

Happy Hunting!
Blind Squirrel

Date: July 12, 2017 12:02PM
As far as I know Old Osage and Osage are the same. They have yearly gatherings there, big country picnic and feast. I will try to go there this weekend and look around as I haven't been there in that area in years even though it is only about 10 miles from here. It is out in the back country, away from heavy traveled roads. There is a church and cemetery in the area, and a large area for having their feasts but I know of no other places where buildings stood but I will surely check it out. You are right, half the fun is in the hunt. Thanks again, and I will keep you posted on what I find!

Kentuck

Date: July 13, 2017 08:08AM
Update: There are 2 cemeteries. Old Osage and Osage Cemeteries. Old Osage Cemetery is deep on private property and is apparently where the site of the town was located. There is also an article stating that the town was farther away located near the fork of two creeks, but this is also deep into private property. The church was moved away years ago, but I remember seeing structures where the feasts were held, so maybe I can search that area even though 'finds' may not be that old in that area but I will check it out and see what I find. Thanks again for your help. Happy Hunting!
Kentuck

Posted by: Blind Squirrel
Date: July 21, 2017 01:07AM
Kentuck11, before I go to a new site, I usually look at it on Google Earth. Often, the aerial view can reveal evidence of old foundations, trails etc. At my relic site I can see the ruts from wagon wheels that are 150 years old. Best of luck and...

Happy Hunting!
blind Squirrel

Date: July 21, 2017 03:58PM
That's a great idea, and I have been using Google maps and other aerial photo sites on the internet but unfortunately in the Osage area, and the Buescher area, they have been repeatedly farmed, ranched, and now new structures, mostly houses, are on the site where most of the buildings would have once stood.
Many years ago here at my house during the severe drought weather, all ground topgrowth died off and I was able to see where a road once went through my property along a creek, but beyond the property, it disappears, and part of the old wagon trail is still visible since it cuts deep into the hill in front of my house. I have found several hotspots where I detect tons of iron, nails, a few coins and other junk, and I have found 3 homesites on this property alone.
The old Buescher site has the lone sidewalk slab and you can see where the road used to go before the curve was lessened but buildings/businesses may have been along this old road and worth a check, but other than that, there are no visible signs of any structures. I know where the sawmill was and approximately where the school house stood. The man that the community was named for had an old house that stood until about 1970, and that should yield some great finds, since that house was built just after the Civil War and was huge, but a lot is covered by new structures also so I will have to hunt around these new buildings. I'll be looking into some of the others that you listed, but I think I've gone about as far as I can with those sites. Thanks for your help.
Kentuck

Posted by: Mega
Date: July 21, 2017 09:19PM
@Kentuck11,when doing some reearch on some of my very old sites and trying too locate pathways,old roads and other strategic targets as well as using 'Google earth' which was a massive leap forward in providing additional information that we could not normal see from ground level but what has provided us with the next ultimate level of data is using 'Lidar' the amount of additional detail that it can provide is just mind blowing especially the fact that it can provide say road detail from woods,forests and other canopy cover that Google earth just cannot provide.

Of course i dont have a clue if this type of free data is available across the pond,but here in the UK is becoming more freely available from government and other business resources,so basically it can add additional info and give you greater research data.

Anything that provides research material has to be seen as a added bonus for detecting,i also have and use a 'quad copter' on some site research,old maps etc are good for providing the basic data but the massive technical leap forward in digital information in recent years is nothing short of mindblowing.

Deus and Nexus MP main everyday detectors

Displays on a Detector are really the equivalent of relying on sub-titles,give me a Analogue machine anyday.

Some of my site specific use machines.
TDI Pro 20'' Mono
Nexus SE dual 9'' coil
Nexus MP 14x13
Fisher TW-5 twin box
Crossbow PI Coiltek 14x9 Mono
Mirage PI 5'' Mono
DFX 18'' Detech
T2 SEF15x12
IDX Pro 15'' Concentric
Arado120b
B1 and B3
Trident11 Extreme NEL Snake

Mainly hunt deep ploughed and pasture sites,trashy roman/saxon and celtic permissions.

Date: July 22, 2017 02:18PM
Thanks, Mega. I can't find where Lidar is openly available to the public here in the States, but I will keep looking into it. The land changes greatly here on the Coastal Plains of South Texas. Floods, heavy rains, hurricanes, tornadoes, and man has changed the landscape in some areas drastically.
I look for old fencelines and old trees with nails in them to find areas where things once stood. I have a good idea where the cemetery was on my property here, but have found no signs of the nearby church other than an occasional square nail or two, but they could be from just about anything. When I was younger, I climbed tall trees to get a birds eye view of certain areas.
I have always noticed subtle changes in ground such as old roads where the ground was raised, or where ruts are in the ground, or trees growing in lines even among other trees, these are all signs of past human settlement. Flooding and changes in the river's flow here make it difficult to find old roads in the vicinity of the river or to even follow written accounts or old maps since the landscape has changed so much in the past 200 years alone.
I'll look into the Lidar again and see what I find.
Thanks again.

Kentuck

Posted by: Mega
Date: August 14, 2017 03:00PM
Just blown the dust of the DFX and changed coils over too the 5.3 one,about 100 acres have just be harvested today on one of my permissions and its left soft barley stubble about 5'' high,but with the smaller 5.3 coil i can get right down close to the soil still,so it should be the right tool for the job as they say,thing i like about this coil for stubble busting as i call it,the coil has a chamfer on the bottom edge of the coil case so this allow the coil to glide through the stubble.

The RNB battery pack is still nearly has a full charge from when i used it in the IDX Pro,so its all systems go for tomorrow as they say,well looks good as well.

Deus and Nexus MP main everyday detectors

Displays on a Detector are really the equivalent of relying on sub-titles,give me a Analogue machine anyday.

Some of my site specific use machines.
TDI Pro 20'' Mono
Nexus SE dual 9'' coil
Nexus MP 14x13
Fisher TW-5 twin box
Crossbow PI Coiltek 14x9 Mono
Mirage PI 5'' Mono
DFX 18'' Detech
T2 SEF15x12
IDX Pro 15'' Concentric
Arado120b
B1 and B3
Trident11 Extreme NEL Snake

Mainly hunt deep ploughed and pasture sites,trashy roman/saxon and celtic permissions.

Posted by: Sal/ohio
Date: August 18, 2017 08:47AM
Still using my dfx in 15 khz and have the rnb battery which lasts for many hunts a great detector.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login