Findmall.com

Whites DFX Users Classroom Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Whiteso 12 inch coil
Posted by: sasquache
Date: April 20, 2017 05:08AM
Hello everyone I'm trying to really understand this machine the Dfx I use the 10x12 sef coil on it now but it seems to just be unstable so I'm going to put my 12 super whites coil on it and give it a try just to see if it acts up I'm just getting fustrated with all the noise when I'm swinging so what tips can you offer. I'm thinking there is something wrong with the dd coil. I recently added a dx-1 sunray probe and try ed my 4x6 dd whites coil and it seemed to work fine. Thanks Paul

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/20/2017 05:14AM by sasquache.

Re: Whiteso 12 inch coil
Posted by: Blind Squirrel
Date: April 20, 2017 05:40AM
Hi Paul--

My first thought was that your sensitivity settings could be too high for the site(s) with the larger coils. So, what are your settings for : Pre Amp Gain, A.C. Sensitivity and D.C. Sensitivity? Also, what are your settings for : Filters, Bottle Cap Reject , Sweep Speed and Recovery Speed? And What are you running : Correlate, Best Data or....?

The fact that your 4x6 coil works fine makes me think that your settings / large coil combination is too hot for the site. When you tell me your settings, maybe something will pop out to me and we will have an easy fix. Best of luck and...

Happy Hunting!
Blind Squirrel

Posted by: Mega
Date: April 20, 2017 06:05AM
The only large coil i use on the DFX these days is the 12'' Hotshot Concentric coil mainly because its ultra lightweight and also i feel that the discrimination is far better with a Concentric coil,when using a larger than stock coil on this detector i had too reduce the AC right down and also PAG if i recall AC70 and PAG2 and then it was as stable as anything.

I just used my regular Land1 settings and just lowered the PAG and AC down and then saved them in a spare slot,i do have a SEF 12x10 on my T2 and it works a treat,but my 2 favourite coils are the 10x6 and the Hotshot,but saying that although the DFX was my main machine for over a decade it has been relegated down as a backup machine and rarely use it these days if i am honest.

Deus and Nexus MP main everyday detectors

Displays on a Detector are really the equivalent of relying on sub-titles,give me a Analogue machine anyday.

Site specific use machines.
TDI Pro 20'' Mono
Nexus SE dual 9'' coil
Fisher TW-5 twin box
Crossbow PI Coiltek 14x9 Mono
Mirage PI 5'' Mono
DFX 18'' Detech
T2 SEF15x12
IDX Pro 15'' Concentric
Arado120b
B1 and B3
Trident11 Extreme NEL Snake

Mainly hunt deep ploughed and pasture sites,trashy roman/saxon and celtic permissions.

Date: April 20, 2017 05:14PM
Hello blind squirrel I was using the dfx coin and jewelry mode with a bump to 3 on the pre amp.

Posted by: Blind Squirrel
Date: April 21, 2017 08:29AM
Hi Paul--

I don't know what kind of sites you are hunting or what your primary goals are - coins, jewelry or relics? If you are looking for U.S. coins, silver jewelry and large gold , here is what I would recommend :

1) Reduce your PreAmpGain to 2 as Mega said
2) Reduce your A.C. Sensitivity to 64
3) Reject the following VDI #'s: From negative 30 to positive 16, From positive 24 to positive 49 and positive 94 and positive 95.
4) Turn Correlate On
5) Save the changes in one of your custom slots.

This should quiet your DFX down considerably using your 12 inch coil. With these settings you will get Indian Head Cents, Lincoln Cents, Nickles, Dimes, Quarters, Half $'s and Silver Dollars. You will also get silver jewelry and large gold. If you decide to change coils you can increase your PAG and A.C. Sens accordingly.

Please let me know if you try these changes and if it works for you? Best of luck and...

Happy Hunting!
Blind Squirrel

Date: April 21, 2017 08:54AM
I will give it a try. Thank you

Date: April 23, 2017 07:22AM
Well I finally decided to put on the whites 300 12 inch coil and what a difference calmed the drx down a lot why I'm not sure? Same settings etc.

Posted by: Spero
Date: April 23, 2017 10:17AM
Your 10x12 sef may be a bad coil, if you kmow anyone with a dfx, have them try it on their dfx. I have a 10x12 sef and never had any trouble with mine, very stable. Have you had a tune up on your dfx, may be a little off in calibration. A tune up from Whites recalibrates your frequencies in your dfx and it's not that expensive.

Date: April 23, 2017 07:58PM
Thank you spero I will look into the things you mention.

Posted by: Spero
Date: April 24, 2017 08:59AM
The only other thing that would cause the things you described that I know is a loose connection, like something stuck in your conection threads or just not tight enough, nor screwed tight.

Date: April 28, 2017 02:53PM
I honestly think it's my setting our soil is high in minerals so nothing wrong word my 10x12 see coil . lol

Posted by: Kentuck11
Date: May 25, 2017 04:30PM
I could not use my White's 12 inch coil here because of the interference from the powerline crossing the property. On some days, I had to stay about 75 yards away from it to keep it from falsing, and with all the trash here, target separation was not good. I use my stock 9.5 more than any other coil. The 5.3 is great but I lose some depth, and it is slow searching since it does not cover much ground. I have a Detech 10 X 5 that I will be experimenting with soon.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login