Findmall.com

Whites DFX Users Classroom Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Detech 10 x 5 SEF WSS Search Coil
Posted by: Kentuck11
Date: July 23, 2017 01:22PM
Does anyone have any experience with the Detech 10 x 5 SEF WSS Search Coil with your DFX as compared to the 9.5 or 5.3 coils? I was curious as to depth, separation, and EMI with this coil in your area. Thanks.

Kentuck

Re: Detech 10 x 5 SEF WSS Search Coil
Posted by: Mega
Date: July 24, 2017 09:52PM
That Detech coil size is nearly the same size as the Whites factory 10x6 coil which is factory tuned for the DFX/MXT and M6 so why would anyone buy a after market coil that is basically the same size and may not perform as well as the factory one.If i am honest i think Detech struggled with that size range coil,the SEF range of course was possibly the companies big selling range by a million miles.

But in the last few years Detech seem to have lost direction for some reason,they have bought out a few detectors but very few have ever been sold as they are very mediocre and also nothing new on the coil side of the business,NEL and a few others have taken over the after market coil lead from Detech.

I am not knocking the company or the products its just seem to lost focus in the detecting arena for some reason and in this game you cannot rest on your previous laurels lol

Deus and Nexus MP main everyday detectors

Displays on a Detector are really the equivalent of relying on sub-titles,give me a Analogue machine anyday.

Some of my site specific use machines.
TDI Pro 20'' Mono
Nexus SE dual 9'' coil
Nexus MP 14x13
Fisher TW-5 twin box
Crossbow PI Coiltek 14x9 Mono
Mirage PI 5'' Mono
DFX 18'' Detech
T2 SEF15x12
IDX Pro 15'' Concentric
Arado120b
B1 and B3
Trident11 Extreme NEL Snake

Mainly hunt deep ploughed and pasture sites,trashy roman/saxon and celtic permissions.

Date: July 25, 2017 03:43PM
Thanks for the reply, Mega.
If I were to spend money and buy any new coil, it would be one made by the same company as my detector, as I would know it would work well with that specific detector. I want a Whites Eclipse DD 6 X 10 inch search coil, but I happen to already own a new Detech 10 X 5 SEF coil which came with my second hand detector when I bought it, which is why I was asking, and if it is as good, or close to the Eclipse 6 X 10 in depth and separation, then I will not have to spend the extra money for another coil. I tried the Detech the other evening and I couldn't get any depth out of it here. It might work well on the beach though. My 9.5 is the best all around coil for me, and I use it 99% of the time. I rarely use the 12" or the 5.3".
I see that you own and use a Detech 18" coil. How does it work for you? Great depth for that size?
Thanks again!

Kentuck

Posted by: KindManTall
Date: July 25, 2017 09:00PM
Do you mean the ...
Detech 8x6" SEF Butterfly Search Coil
(White's V3I / VX3 / MXT / M6 / MX5 / DFX)

Ok I found it
Detech 10x5" SEF WSS Search Coil
(White's MXT / M6 / MX5 / DFX)

I have 2 white's 6x10 maybe do a trade
(I do not like a white color coil)

White's MXT Pro
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett AT Gold
Makro Racer 2 ( 2)
Nokta Fors Relic
www.detectingequipment.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/25/2017 09:07PM by KindManTall.

Date: July 26, 2017 12:56PM
Maybe a trade later on. I still need time to work with the 10X5 Detech to see if I can use it with good performance in my area here. It's a nice looking black coil and very light and has a coil protective cover. I don't like white colored coils either. I will try it more when we get some rain and the grass is shorter, and hopefully I can get some depth and great separation with it. I will be doing comparisons with the Whites 5.3" coil and see which has the advantage over the other. If it is only equal to my 5.3" and not better, I will trade it.
Kentuck

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/26/2017 12:58PM by Kentuck11.

Posted by: Spero
Date: July 26, 2017 09:19PM
When the 10x5 came out , they said it had real good seperation and more depth then Whites 10x6. Read back through older posti, I think that coil was talked about. The coil I use instead of the 9 1/2 is the 10x12 sef, lighter and slightly deeper. Sef coils are good, that's why Whites went to them for the 13 inch Ultimate coil.

Date: July 27, 2017 12:32PM
Thanks for the reply, Spero. Your 10X12 SEF is a Detech coil? I have looked back 80+ pages of posts and cannot find any real info mentioned about the Detech 10 X 5 coil, but It may be under a different title other than that specific coil. I need to be using a smaller coil then the 9.5 because of the extreme trash here. I sometimes hit 3 to 4 targets per swing here, and I have a tough time picking out good targets from trash. Tone ID does not help since it chirps out good signals almost every swing, but after digging hundreds of iron targets, I switched back to Tone ID off and listen for 'good' solid sounds, then check VDI and signagraph on repeating good signals. I read on another site that the 10 X 5 was better than any similar size coil of any make and very deep searching, but I have found no one who actually used it and proved this to be true. It was not deep searching for me compared to the 9.5 and even the 5.3. I will try it again and do some extensive adjustments and give it one last try.
Kentuck

Date: July 27, 2017 09:16PM
10x5 has a smaller footprint than the 9 1/2 does, it only covers 5 inches width at a time, will see less at a time then the Whites coil, but a little bit deeper.

Date: July 28, 2017 12:48PM
Spero, I was under the understanding that the 10X5 would cover about the same or slightly more ground with each sweep, but with better detail or separation. The depth was stated to be about the same if not deeper, but since it does not have the 'cone' detecting area under it like the concentric coil, you can cover more ground without overlapping sweeps, and see more underground with each sweep. This is just what I've read elsewhere, but no one who has actually used the coil has stated this, that I can find anywhere.
I think you are correct.
Thanks.
Kentuck

Date: July 28, 2017 04:40PM
Yesbut, it covers less at one time, it's not as wide as the 9 1/2. In length it does cover as much but as it moves it has less area under it at one time. Think of it as two same lengths of paper folded different and see what is covered without moving them.

Posted by: KindManTall
Date: July 28, 2017 07:06PM
It is sorta like ..

9.50 is a 10" flat book
5x10" is the book standing on edge ..

So if a target is say 7" apart the 9,50 will see both
5x10 will see them at different time ..

But ... you will still have to do the 90 degree also .. Because of the 10" .. That will help with seperation

White's MXT Pro
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett AT Gold
Makro Racer 2 ( 2)
Nokta Fors Relic
www.detectingequipment.com

Date: July 28, 2017 10:20PM
Thanks Spero and KindTall man. I now understand the point you both are trying to make me understand. I will try out the 10X5 and see if it suits my needs, if not, I will trade or sell it. I hear a lot of good about the 6X10 DD. I've gotten pretty good with the 9.5 over the years and use it almost exclusively. I'm not worried about covering more ground with each sweep, just good target separation with best depth.
Thanks for both of your replies.

Kentuck

Date: July 29, 2017 11:44AM
Best way to put it, the more trash targets there, the less you'll see at one time.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login