Findmall.com

Whites DFX Users Classroom Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
dfx beach hunting
Posted by: countryboy
Date: September 27, 2006 09:04AM
how well does dfx work in salt water sand , what depth do you get on say a quaterthanks tim

Re: dfx beach hunting
Posted by: Tioga
Date: September 27, 2006 01:03PM
I've found it to work quite well in both dry and wet sand on North Carolina beaches. Never had any problem with instability.

Depth will depend on your program settings; I use the pre-loaded jewelry/beach program with AC Sensitivity and Pre-amp boosted up, along with a few other tweaked settings dependant on how much trash there is. Wet sand will give you greater depth than dry.

One thing to note: if you detect in the surf, make sure you don't tilt the control housing below the level of the coil, or else you run the risk of having water run down the rod into it. That's a bad thing. :cry:
To prevent that from happening, I sprayed Great Stuff foam sealant into the lower rod section, and it works great. If you do that, though, be sure not to spray it to the inside of the spring clips that hold the sections of the rod together. Once the foam dries, the spring clips will no longer work and you'll have a non-adjustable rod. :rant:

- Tioga

Posted by: countryboy
Date: September 28, 2006 07:29AM
iguess that ansered my quistion it must not work very well no one will say what it will do

Posted by: deep_digger
Date: September 28, 2006 09:05AM
In Mississippi we have a beach area that I hunt in fairly often, I can get 6 to 8 inches or more in wet sand. Really doesn't matter what the denominations is, dimes are harder obviously.

Posted by: Pap
Date: September 28, 2006 09:16AM
with a few changes to the "Beach" program quarters can be targeted to maybe 10-12 inches wearing headphones. Areas of severe black sand may reduce that depth. Frankly, most of the better jewelry finds aren't all that deep.

Posted by: Larry (IL)
Date: September 28, 2006 10:16AM
Your "quistion" WAS answered and the DFX is one of the best detectors on the market. What someone else can't tell you is how deep YOU will detect a quarter on YOUR beach with YOUR settings and YOUR ability to operate the machine.

Posted by: coinnut
Date: September 29, 2006 08:50AM
The DFX is a great all around machine. It is deadly in the northeast and probably better than average on the beach. If you want a beach machine, then buy a beach machine. But if you want only one machine for all treasure hunting then the DFX is the one. Remember that every type of detecting (deep woods, beach, small gold, meteorite, etc... will require you to totally change the programs if you want maximum depth. Each program may take years to tweak to perfection. If you travel the country you may have to change you best settings to suit the place and soil conditions you are at. It is not for the faint hearted if you want MAXIMUM depth. You will have to learn how all the settings affect each other. But if you want a good, simple machine straight out of the box, then use the factory preset settings and be happy.

Posted by: markinga
Date: September 29, 2006 01:17PM
I run a pretty hot version of the beach program. I was awarded a 7mm mens platinum wedding band on St. Simons Island a couple of years ago. The dfx is sweet on the beach. I find that it detects deeper in the wet sand.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login