Findmall.com

Whites DFX Users Classroom Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Henny Penny?
Posted by: perchdoctor
Date: July 10, 2008 11:32PM
Well I'm finally back on line my computer deceided it needed a vacation and froze up , my wife spent many hours getting me back on line just to have it happen again, but the detector is working fine. I was testing the MXT when things went down, so I've got some catching up to do . But first this weeks find so far Monday another Black Hills gold ring with a blue stone it came in at 09-11(it was at 5 inches ) thats normally a piece of pop can hit by a lawnmower and I just about gave up on it, been tweaking the old DFX and thought it was a false signal plus I was close to some underground power lines but I stayed on it and this beauty came up. I live in the area where they make Blackhills gold jewerly, so its a great find ,it is in perfect condition too. Also found the small game coin Henny Penny does anyone know or ever heard of it? It read a high 85-86 I thought it was a tack head at first but it has a hen head on it that says "chicken feed play coin" and on the back it says "one henny penny" . other finds- game tokens and the usual clad, one 1955 wheat penny. And more good news another detectist stop by and we got to talking were going to start a club(of two) but its a start. We have hundreds of ghost town in theblackhill so it should be a fun club. I'm not sure what the silver long thing is on the left maybe some type of earring? Later Jeff

western ,South Dakota

Re: Henny Penny?
Posted by: Larry (IL)
Date: July 11, 2008 12:15PM
That's a nice ring Jeff, glad you stuck with it. Henny Penny was pretty popular play money, I have found many of them. I don't know the history on them, you might try Googleing Henny Penny for more info.

Good luck getting a club going, you can't have too many friends and having someone to hunt with makes it more fun too.

...the sky is falling!
Posted by: sangamon
Date: July 11, 2008 12:47PM
on April 11, 2003, Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld famously used the phrase "Henny Penny the sky is falling!" to deny rumors of an impending Iraq invasion...
on April 11, 2006, he used the exact same phrase to deny rumors that the US would invade Iran... but i digress. your coin is generic aluminum play money, probably from the '50s or '60s.

Jeff, the SIGNAGRAPH has been mentioned a few times here lately. i am curious about the difference in SIGNAGRAPH meter strength between your gold ring and the average "piece of pop can hit by a lawnmower". i would bet the reading on the meter would be much higher (stronger) over the gold. Larry says he doesn't pay much attention to it, but i was noticing that good, solid targets will give a stronger SIGNAGRAPH reading, and especially using CORRELATE instead of BEST DATA. you may want to do some testing on this, because i think you're on your way to becoming the King of Black Hills Gold! nice work!

"A nickel ain't worth a dime anymore." -Yogi Berra

Re: Henny Penny?
Date: July 12, 2008 08:08AM

Sangamon
funny you should mention the signagraph, I don't use it to much but after a few posts I've started to check the bars and with the gold ring I paid close attention to it, in fact that's what made me decide to dig this signal, I usually pass them up because I've dug so many pieces of pop cans I'm trying to be smarter but now I'm thinking I've passed up more rings, case in point on Friday I had 15 minutes of detecting time and I got a strong 28 -37 vdi signal but a real strong bar and it was close to the surface 2-3 inches , normally that's a pull tab and I just go to the next one, with 15 minutes I want to find the good stuff- well with the strong bar signal I decide to get the pull tab out of the ground one less to dig later on - right! well out popped the ring in the picture, now what dig all pull tab signals or pay closer attention to the bars? I use the d c phase alot maybe too much , I also found this 1943 Canadian penny earlier in the day down 6" , hoping for more silver in that area . Thank Larry for the tip I'll check for henny penny

western ,South Dakota

Re: ...the sky is falling!
Posted by: Chris/MA
Date: July 12, 2008 01:05PM
I've found one of those henny penny play money coins before. Real small aluminum thing.

BTW, Sangamon, I think you're off on those dates.
The initial invasion of Iraq was March 20, 2003.
By April 11 troops were already in Baghdad, so rummy would have had an awfully hard time denying it : )

Chris- thanks for the clarification!...
Date: July 12, 2008 01:52PM
...apparently i took the first quotation out-of-context; Rumsfeld was merely reacting to news reports that Iraq was in a state of "anarchy and chaos" shortly after the invasion. the date given, April 11, 2003, is correct.

of course, everything has been hunky-dory since we got there... :stars: Henny Penny, pshaw!

(and i apologize to the group for getting so off-topic)

"A nickel ain't worth a dime anymore." -Yogi Berra

300 pulltabs to 1 gold ring...
Date: July 13, 2008 04:27AM
...is what i was told by the guy who got me into the hobby. he found gold rings on a fairly regular basis. probably still does.

for my part, Jeff, i've dug tons of pulltabs and zero gold rings. i don't look for them. i really don't like to dig pulltabs, so i try to figure out how NOT to dig them. i hunt for silver. as a consequence, i dig a lot of copper but no gold.

in your case...you SHOULD look for GOLD ...in western South Dakota! i noticed the SIGNAGRAPH was strong on a few good targets, including brass tokens and buffalo nickels, whereas junk targets with the same VDI were weaker on the SIGNAGRAPH. then i noticed a similar enhancement using CORRELATE. i figure that would apply to gold vs pulltab as well, just a hunch. i think your ratio will be greater than 300/1 based on your location. at least, that's what i'm hoping for you.

ESP
Date: July 13, 2008 11:22PM
sagamon I've been using correlate all the time lately and its been working better at identification, but your right I pass up on pulltab VDI readings but relie on tone id and esp!

western ,South Dakota

Re: ESP
Posted by: Sarge
Date: July 24, 2008 06:50PM
Sometimes a person has to wonder about ESP. What makes a person go to a particular spot with no research & it's just a normal everyday type of area & find lots of good targets?

I think it's happened to us all. I take a look at a park registry & find that this particualr park was built in 1970 & was a farmer's field before that. What made me decide to go there? Sure. Easy clad. But why then didn't I start at the woodchip play area? I'll start finding silver & not just a few coins. All of my research after the fact showed nothing unusual about the spot other than it used to be a cornfield. It more than likely was a carnival site or maybe picnics were held there for years with no record of them being held.

What's particularly spooky is I had planned all along to go to this very old park where I've found silver before my purchase of the DFX which we all know goes deeper than the old machine. What ever made me decide to try this new park in the 1st place?

Proud Dad of a U.S. Army Airborne Ranger
Retired US Army 1st Sgt. Airborne All the Way
DFX & XLT

Re: ESP
Date: July 25, 2008 08:12AM
Sarge I think we all are good at something but some of us are pulled towards things without realizing it at least at first, I have a strange ability to know if I'm going to find a ring or silver moments before it happens but if I try to force it it doesn't work and sometimes its a notion two or so hours in advance, sounds weird but thru the years I've learned to pay attention to it. I learned it mostly by telling if a highway patrol men is coming at me on the highway, it works about 95% of the time, its that 10 sec gap to react.

western ,South Dakota

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login