Findmall.com

Minelab Safari/Quattro Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Re: Long time no post
Posted by: Prep1957
Date: January 19, 2012 11:05PM
Great finds I am happy to get a few large cents in 1800's around where I live.Those coins you cleaned look like mine after use my Dremel.

Posted by: The Fog
Date: January 20, 2012 12:00AM
If I decide to clean a copper coin ---- I cut one of those red solo cups in half, break a toothpick in half and place at bottom, put coin on top of toothpick and pour in a few ounces of Hydrogen peroxide, let it sit and fizz for a few hours, dump and replenish with new hydrogen peroxide, let it sit and fizz over nite. By the next morning most of the crud should come off fairly easily. The coin will be really dry, work some vaseline over it between your thumb and forefinger, this will release more of the dirt. Then clean off vaseline with a paper towel. DO NOT USE THIS METHOD ON COPPER COINS OF VALUE! I did not use this method on the King George II, or the 1797 draped bust, I did use it on the injuns and the druid, the 1845 large cent actually came out of the ground like that, I just brushed off the dirt with a soft toothbrush, it was probably in mint state when it was dropped and the soil was kind. It's a personal judgement call on if I clean something or not. I've been considering trying an ultrasonic cleaner on coins with little or no value.

The pics below are from a post i had a couple of years ago showing a large cent before and after the method i described above, keep in mind that if the coin is in bad shape to begin with a peroxide bath won't bring it back to life, it's just a less harsh way to clean the coin rather than a dremel, wire brush etc. Keep in mind it will turn the coin to a chocolate brown color in most cases.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/20/2012 12:17AM by The Fog.

Posted by: warren in ga
Date: February 11, 2012 10:27PM
vary nice finds

Posted by: Prep1957
Date: February 12, 2012 09:21PM
Looks like your Safari is working well,great finds,thanks for sharing.

Posted by: crazyjoe999
Date: February 13, 2012 09:40PM
Wow. Fantastic! Never even heard of some of those. One simple question...are you hunting house sites or fields or woods? Thanks!

Date: February 13, 2012 11:35PM
Hello crazyjoe! I only hunt in the woods. If i can find an old field, or get permission to hunt an old farm field I'd be all over it... but I'd say 99% of my hunting involves wandering aimlessly through the woods. During a 5 hour hunt I probably dig about 10 targets on a good day, but usually 2 or 3 out of the 10 will be something interesting. For the guys that hunt parks and beaches their nemesis is pull tabs, for me it's shotgun shells! If you live in new england and you know where there are some flat wooded areas with some stone walls, go wander around there for a few hours... when your safari rings 38 at 6 inches.... you have yourself an old copper! AND DON'T FORGET TO FILL YOUR HOLES NO MATTER WHERE YOU ARE OR HOW REMOTE AN AREA YOU MAY THINK YOU MAY BE IN.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/13/2012 11:37PM by The Fog.

Posted by: Brookie
Date: February 14, 2012 07:48AM
That is just terrific stuff.

Posted by: Brookie
Date: February 14, 2012 05:01PM
Fog. Do you use typical 3% hydrogen peroxide found at the drug store or something stronger?

Date: February 14, 2012 05:35PM
Just the regular brown bottle cheapie stuff.

Posted by: park pirate
Date: February 18, 2012 03:36PM
Vary, Vary Nice finds. That 1873 indain is mint. Like them buckels to... Congrats to ya....:clapping:

Posted by: warren in ga
Date: February 19, 2012 07:30AM
nice finds

Posted by: az46
Date: February 24, 2012 07:17PM
Enjoy the pics,thank you:clapping:

Posted by: pulltaber
Date: March 01, 2012 07:43PM
nice finds

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login