Findmall.com
 
 






Minelab Safari/Quattro Forum


Welcome! Log In Register
Shaft problem
Posted by: Sanderling
Date: August 12, 2015 05:26PM
The upper shaft clip on my Safari no longer holds the lower shaft in place. The lower shaft slips up and down which is annoying. I have tried putting a piece of electrical tape around the lower shaft, but it just gets eaten by the upper shaft. I have tried spraying the lower shaft with polyurethane which worked temporarily, but it wore off. Any suggestions out there? I need to be able to collapse the shaft for storage and also so I can put it in my vehicle.

avatar
Re: Shaft problem
Posted by: Goldstrike
Date: August 13, 2015 07:49PM
I had the same problem a long time ago. I cut a piece of plastic out of a thick plastic laundry detergent container and made it to fit in the 'lock' (see pic's). It has lasted a long time and locks the shaft in place and if you cut it right, there is no need for glue or tape to keep it in place:thumbup:




Re: Shaft problem
Posted by: Sanderling
Date: August 14, 2015 09:49AM
Thanks GS I will give that a shot.

Re: Shaft problem
Posted by: braveheart1954
Date: August 16, 2015 04:16PM
TRY PAINTING ON A THIN COAT OF PLASTI-DIP ON THE SHAFT! $8 BUCKS A CAN AT HOME DEPOT OR LOWES! ALSO DIP YOU PIN POINTER IN IT TO PRESERVE AND PROTECT IT FROM WEAR!



JOHN HARVEY

Re: Shaft problem
Posted by: Sanderling
Date: August 19, 2015 10:48AM
Thanks for the tip Braveheart. Problem is with putting a coating on the shaft that in time the upper shaft tends to wear it off. Good idea about coating the pinpointer though. I also tried Gold Strike's method noted above, but it has not worked for me. The shaft still slips. Maybe my plastic is not thick enough. I can slip another piece in there and see if that helps. Appreciated the tips guys.

avatar
Re: Shaft problem
Posted by: KinTN
Date: August 19, 2015 12:29PM
Maybe add a sliver of neoprene or something similar that will compress to you don't have to get it Exactly the right thickness?



Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Excalibur II
Minelab Safari

Re: Shaft problem
Posted by: braveheart1954
Date: August 21, 2015 12:27PM
GREAT IDEA!



JOHN HARVEY

Re: Shaft problem
Posted by: braveheart1954
Date: August 21, 2015 12:29PM
SOME SELL LIKE NEW SHAFTS CHEAP ON EBAY AT TIMES!



JOHN HARVEY

avatar
Re: Shaft problem
Posted by: Goldstrike
Date: August 23, 2015 04:33PM
Yep, buying a new shaft would be the solution but I suspect you are trying to use too thin of a plastic strip? The strip I'm using is still working great after many hunts so you might want to try thicker plastic. Another thought is that you may have a hairline crack near the end of the shaft and when you apply pressure on the cam lock, the shaft compresses a bit failing to lock the shaft? Just a thought.

Re: Shaft problem
Posted by: Sanderling
Date: August 24, 2015 07:33PM
I have tried adding a piece of neoprene on top of the plastic insert Goldstrike originally suggested, but that did not work either. I believe GS is on the right track as I think the problem might be the locking device itself. I will take a closer look at that. The inserts were certainly thick enough when used together, but it still slips. Might consider Bravehearts suggestion to check ebay and get both an upper and lower shaft. Thanks to everyone for their input.

avatar
Re: Shaft problem
Posted by: kschae4
Date: August 26, 2015 05:29AM
Great suggestions...will keep this page in my detecting mods folder



Minelab Safari/BH Land Star/ Garrett Pro-Pointer
"Cause down the shore everything's all right"
Oldest identifiable coin- 1775 King George lll half penny
Most bizarre find: http://www.findmall.com/read.php?3,1835200,1835200#msg-1835200

Re: Shaft problem
Posted by: Sanderling
Date: September 04, 2015 01:55PM
Following up, I went ahead and got new upper and lower shafts. The locking device on the old upper shaft barely showed it's red color when locked and when looking inside the upper shaft whereas on the new one it clearly protruded about a 1/4 inch on the inside of the shaft. I started working the tab and lock on the old one and got it to come down about 1/4 inch. Now $130.00 + later I am thinking there was just a build up of dirt and sand in the locking device that prevented the red tab from fully coming into contact with the lower shaft allowing it to slip. Maybe why the plastic and neoprene inserts did not work. An expensive lesson, but hoping it may help somebody else out down the road. Thanks to GS for pointing me in the right direction. Thanks again for the other tips too!

Re: Shaft problem
Posted by: FLIPTOP1942
Date: February 25, 2016 12:09PM
That's a great idea.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login