Findmall.com

Minelab Safari/Quattro Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Re: Another Minelab Safari vs Etrac thread :shrug:
Posted by: Wheat Cent
Date: March 25, 2016 03:04AM
cashmole
Thanks for that reply Magician. :smile: I did end up buying a Safari after all but I haven't got around to putting it together yet and there's still snow on the ground here. Once I get out into the field I will write my impressions here.

You will love it, run it in coin mode to start, and notch out 40

Posted by: Prep1957
Date: March 31, 2016 08:40PM
I had two E-tracs sold both kept and use Safari as number one detector.This will be my 5th season with this machine I would buy a new machine if I thought there was a better machine on the market that would be a great improvement over what the Safari can already do, but it is not out their yet.I have a 3 year old ATPro for water work and shallow junk hunting but it is 2 inch depth loss while coin hunting against Safari with stock coil.I think you made a great choice.I am at present taking a hard look at replacing my ATP with new MXSport for water work.

Posted by: Rex123
Date: April 03, 2016 03:55AM
The Magician
cashmole
Speaking of the AT Pro I was shocked to see it did better on Monty's nail board test than a CTX, Etrac AND Safari!

ATPro. http://youtu.be/ZmmsGTtN6O8
SAFARI http://youtu.be/LCy71k2yVY8
ETRAC http://youtu.be/X6X4uY98hkU
CTX http://youtu.be/djaAuDvdWpo

Kind of shocking to watch all three. The Safari fared about as well as the Etrac.

These type of nail board tests are charlatan level poor because they have the object perfectly level with low conductive objects.

1 Most of the time, junk is going to be above than the old coin that you're trying to get, the more shallow the junk object is over the good target, the more of an "umbrella" masking effect it's going to have.
2 The higher the conductivity, the more it's going to mask, the lower the conductivity, the weaker it is at masking. Iron is actually weak at masking it's just that there's lots of it and some are large.
3 Minelabs don't do well in air tests, everyone should know that by now.

These tests only give a false understanding, in-ground the exact oposite is often true as I have found in my experience. I have seen $60 Kmart detectors do well in these "targets are comfortably parrallel to each other" tests. I use both Tesoros and an Explorer and FBS and BBS machines constantly do poorly in these tests and Tesoros do well. In-ground, it's a different story.

I'm glad to see someone else with the same opinion as me over these so called "nail board" tests.
They are not really "live" situations unless you are only hunting in the top 1".
We are in the process of making a device that can hold an object and be surrounded by ferrous targets.
Current tests have shown interesting results.

Posted by: cashmole
Date: April 13, 2016 10:44AM
Prep1957
I had two E-tracs sold both kept and use Safari as number one detector.This will be my 5th season with this machine I would buy a new machine if I thought there was a better machine on the market that would be a great improvement over what the Safari can already do, but it is not out their yet.I have a 3 year old ATPro for water work and shallow junk hunting but it is 2 inch depth loss while coin hunting against Safari with stock coil.I think you made a great choice.I am at present taking a hard look at replacing my ATP with new MXSport for water work.

Thanks to everyone for the input. As of right now the Safari is still new in the box I just havent had the time to detect yet. Once I get going I will post my first impressions here. I havent been detecting long but with my AT Pro and my Etrac I found 120 silver coins and like 25 silver pieces of jewelry last year. I got good on the ATP really fast. I had a channel issue but Ive re uploaded half my video so far. My YT channel is CacheMole. Once my 2015 videos are back up I will be posting vids on the Safari with an unboxing, review and live digs. Hopefully some silver too :-)

Posted by: cashmole
Date: April 27, 2016 12:12AM
So I managed to get out with the Safari for a few digs. I've managed to pull 3 silver coins so far and 1 was an 1878 Netherlands 10 cents at 7". It's a very small coin but it came in pretty clear with a 35 on the TID...nice. The Safari feels very much like my Etrac. The separation and recovery are good and I don't notice a huge difference at all from my Etrac. It handles high trashy areas very well like my Etrac.

I'm still getting used to the target identification numbers. 14-15 seems to be a rusty bottlecap. Silver so far comes in between 35-39. Cherry picking silver with the Etrac could be done but pennies still need to be dug for silver dimes. With the Etrac I only knew for certain I had a silver quarter when I hit a 12-47 or 12-48.

At first I was not happy about the Safari having difficulty finding Canadian 1 dollar and 2 dollar clad coins, and coins made of nickel. But I have learned to hear them now as they come in as a very jumpy high tone going from around 19 to 33 and all in between. Its getting quite easy to know I have one now. This I like because those "loonies' and "toonies" add up.

So in my preliminary testing the Safari seems a lot like my Etrac and I am pretty happy with it. One thing I found was a bit weird was in coins mode often I would see a number that wasn't notched out come on the screen but I wouldn't hear a tone at all? I wonder why? It acted like it was disc'd out and I couldn't hear a tone. For example: I had 30-39 open on the disc so I would find that stuff. Sometimes I would see a 38 and hear nothing...other times I would see 38 and heard the appropriate tone. Any one know why? I don't want to miss anything because I don't hear it...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login