Findmall.com

Minelab Safari/Quattro Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
SAFARI PROS & CONS ???
Posted by: St Bernard
Date: March 16, 2016 02:32PM
Interested in a Safari. What if any are the PROS & CONS of this detector?? I would like to have an E-Trac but out of my price range. Feedback appreciated Thanks

Re: SAFARI PROS & CONS ???
Posted by: Wheat Cent
Date: March 18, 2016 06:27PM
Go ahead and get yourself a safari, i was in the same boat as you and found a pretty much used once safari with all the warranty for $520 with rechargeable battery and covers.It will find silver just as good as a Etrac or CTX, it just needs to be swung a little slower to really find the deep silver targets.

i love mine :)

Posted by: KinTN
Date: March 18, 2016 09:49PM
Personally, I wouldn't go eTrac. FINE detector, but go either lowest $ FBS or top FBS imo. (and that's what I did)

Safari is the best silver hound I have ever used. Period. I miss that flutey tone on my CTX (which still finds the silver just as well).

Safari = slower response, so slower swing as Wheat Cent said.

Safari not as programmable (discrimination wise) as its more expensive brother FBSs.

Safari = No grid screen. Now before everybody's cousin starts lying that "I don't look at a screen, I go solely by sounds", I agree that you need to hunt primarily by sounds. BUT in my hunt area (planet Earth) it isn't always clear precise tones like they have in Unicorn Land and a FBS screen helps A LOT in deciphering those borderline/iffy signals. Depriving your brain of information to prove your manhood is not just silly, its stupid. Information = Power.

Safari = not waterproof. Carry a plastic bag in case you get caught out in the rain.

CTX has Target Trace which imo is worth the extra price over an eTrac. But that's me. Sooooo much info in that feature.
Since I learned the CTX, my knowledge of what my Safari was trying to tell me has exploded. Target Trace is a gold mine of info.

My advice, based on your price range, is get the Safari and get it soonest. I don't know your experience level, but after over a decade away from the hobby, it took me about 50 hours on my Safari for something to click in my brain where I started to understand my machine. Yes, its a turn on and go machine pretty much, but to master it will take some work. And that's probably pretty true with any metal detector.

Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Excalibur II
Minelab Safari

Posted by: petew
Date: March 19, 2016 05:02PM
Hope I don't catch any slack over this,but I have a etrac now.I had a safari,sold it because of the weight but just missed fbs performance....No safaris were available used,so I went with a used etrac.Truth is,I liked my safari more.i think the horsepower is the same in both machines,and the safari is easier to setup,it's hard to set it up wrong.My only wish is that the safari had a backlight,I nighthunt a lot...cons of a safari,not so much of any.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/19/2016 05:08PM by petew.

Date: March 19, 2016 08:47PM
petew
Hope I don't catch any slack over this,but I have a etrac now.I had a safari,sold it because of the weight but just missed fbs performance....No safaris were available used,so I went with a used etrac.Truth is,I liked my safari more.i think the horsepower is the same in both machines,and the safari is easier to setup,it's hard to set it up wrong.My only wish is that the safari had a backlight,I nighthunt a lot...cons of a safari,not so much of any.

i agree on the backlight :) but yeah cant go wrong, its a deep accurate detector, and i have never looked back or even at any other machine since getting mine. Its just a breeze to use

Posted by: klever
Date: March 22, 2016 12:13AM
I agree with you KinTn I hit a yard this week that the sounds were all over. A high pitch mixed in with a low pitch or then no sound at all. I looked at the screen and the numbers were all over the place but good numbers. Picked up a Silver quarter at 9 to 10 inches. So I proceeded to dig a number of times like this. Most all were good targets at deeper depths.

Posted by: cashmole
Date: March 24, 2016 11:28PM
Can the Safari discriminate beer bottle caps(rusty and new) right out? I know the Etrac will block them out but I saw a Safari Youtube video and the beer cap was a high tone coming in at 33-34. That's close to penny and silver dime territory isn't it? Can it handle beer bottle caps as well as the Etrac?

Date: March 25, 2016 01:38AM
cashmole
Can the Safari discriminate beer bottle caps(rusty and new) right out? I know the Etrac will block them out but I saw a Safari Youtube video and the beer cap was a high tone coming in at 33-34. That's close to penny and silver dime territory isn't it? Can it handle beer bottle caps as well as the Etrac?

no, and no other machine can. The etrac cant block them out because you would lose a large list of potential targets by doing so. On the safari, Zincs are 32-33,34-37 copper,38 dimes or silver,39 silver, 40 usually iron or trash. Those are where items are hitting for me in soil with a decent amount of mineralization.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/25/2016 01:39AM by Wheat Cent.

Date: April 27, 2016 12:22AM
Wheat Cent
cashmole

no, and no other machine can. The etrac cant block them out because you would lose a large list of potential targets by doing so. On the safari, Zincs are 32-33,34-37 copper,38 dimes or silver,39 silver, 40 usually iron or trash. Those are where items are hitting for me in soil with a decent amount of mineralization.

Since using my Safari I'm finding that rusty beer caps are coming in as a 14-15 and I can block them out. I have dug very few and only for curiosity's sake to learn all the numbers. But if I notch 14-15 out I don't dig any..very happy about this when I'm silver hunting.

Date: April 27, 2016 12:47AM
cashmole
Wheat Cent
cashmole

Since using my Safari I'm finding that rusty beer caps are coming in as a 14-15 and I can block them out. I have dug very few and only for curiosity's sake to learn all the numbers. But if I notch 14-15 out I don't dig any..very happy about this when I'm silver hunting.

What are nickels coming in at for you? Ive really only found them by luck safari doesnt seem to be as strong a nickel machine as something like a CZ-3D.

:)

Posted by: Champ Ferguson
Date: April 27, 2016 09:50AM
I wouldn't block out 14,15. I've seen too many nickels come in at 14. What I do with my Safari it to leave 11-15 open and then just not dig any 15s unless they are REALLLY tantalizing.

And if the etrac can block out all metal bottle screw caps yet leave coins open, it can do something my CTX cant do.

Posted by: Simpsonslammer
Date: April 30, 2016 06:12PM
Personally I would never notch out 14-15. I've found a lot of war nickels in this range, and some gold too. Most of my older nickels come in at 13

Minelab Safari Tesoro Compadre Garrett Propointer

Posted by: Goldstrike
Date: April 30, 2016 07:26PM
Yep, I also wouldn't notch out 14-15. This 14K ring that I detected a year ago last January came in at 15 so you may be missing gold rings if you notch out those numbers!

Date: May 14, 2016 11:23PM
We don't have many war nickels here in Toronto. I have found one last year. Bottle caps were coming in at 14-15 and in most places that I'm hunting older silver coins I don't want to hear the caps. Yeah I will be missing gold but I will go back later once I have found all the silver and open up my disc and dig for gold.

Date: May 14, 2016 11:26PM
Champ Ferguson
I wouldn't block out 14,15. I've seen too many nickels come in at 14. What I do with my Safari it to leave 11-15 open and then just not dig any 15s unless they are REALLLY tantalizing.

And if the etrac can block out all metal bottle screw caps yet leave coins open, it can do something my CTX cant do.

I very rarely dug any beer bottle caps with my Etrac and same with my Safari and I can still hear a penny or a silver coin. I'm hunting silver coins mainly so I only have 30-39 open on the disc. So far after 3 weeks or so of hunting I'm at 24 silver coins with the oldest this year being a 1918.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/14/2016 11:28PM by cashmole.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login