Findmall.com

Minelab Safari/Quattro Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Re: Safari & Gold Chains?
Posted by: Fishers Ghost
Date: October 23, 2016 04:12PM
Something I noticed yesterday re the safari is that in combo with the 9.5 x 5.5 DD it can find and correctly ID gold down to 0.15g to 7cm in lightly mineralised ground. That was a surprise.
The safari seems to do better (runs quieter) on salt beaches than over mineralised ground. Also it is noisy over granite whereas my Sov XS, a similar machine is not bothered by this type of rock.
This Safari detector is a curious beast.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/23/2016 04:12PM by Fishers Ghost.

Date: November 04, 2016 05:50PM
I am still trying to work out if my Safari is faulty??

The Safari is noisy in mineralised ground. Is this normal? Whereas my Sov Xs can handle the same tough ground mineralisation much better no matter which coil I use. on it.

Date: November 04, 2016 10:31PM
Put a Nell Tornado 13 inch DD on the safari.
This a great coil and goes very deep on coins . A very impressive coil although I have to turn the detector sensitivity down to around 14 - 16 or run in Auto to get stability. It is at least as good as my 15 inch WOT on the Sov XS.
Itching to try this coil at the beach

Date: November 05, 2016 11:38PM
Well I seem to be talking to myself here but that is fine. I talk to myself a lot these days. :crazy:......And I get answers sometimes, that nobody else can hear. :wacko:.

Even though I have made some negative comments re the Safari, that does not detract from the fact that it is an extremely good metal detector when used for the prime purpose it was designed for which is coin, jewellery and relic hunting in quiet ground.

The Safari is right up there with my top of the heap keepers like my Infinium, Sov XS, XLT, SDC2300 and Lobo ST.

Posted by: Champ Ferguson
Date: November 06, 2016 08:55AM
FG, I have been reading your posts, but don't have the experience necessary to comment on highly mineralized ground or different coils. The only coil I have put on my Safari is the SEF5x8. I did run into a guy at the beach who's Safari wasn't functioning properly after putting on a new brownish coil. But he was unable to say if the coil was made to fit a Safari or not, so I suspect the coil was his problem.

Minelab CTX
Minelab Excalibur II
Minelab Safari

Date: November 08, 2016 03:20PM
G/Day CF.

The original 13 inch DD is OK, the Cors 5 x 8 DD supposedly designed for the FBS sderies detectors was tradgic. It was far to sensitive and behaved as though it had zero electrostatic shielding.
The Nel Tornado 13 inch DD is performing very well and I suspect will be an excellent beach coil for the Safari although I have yet to try it there..

The detector itself has disappointed me a bit in that it has difficulty (is noisy) in even moderately iron mineralised ground when compared to my Sov XS and in fact when compared to all of my other detectors.
Even My Go Find 60 is much better than the safari in lightly mineralised ground. So It would seem that the Safari is primarily designed for salt beach detecting when using the large coils and I can say that it performs very well in that environment.

It would be interesting to read some other opinions through experience with the safari.

Posted by: Tinfoil
Date: November 08, 2016 11:05PM
Ghost did you try a Coiltec Joey 5x8 or the 6x8 small SEF coil. I used to run the Joey but switched to the SEF. HH Jerry aka Tinfoil

Date: November 10, 2016 01:31AM
No I have not tried those coils.
The Nel Tornado 13 inch DD is performing extremely well and the Cors 9.5 x 5.5 is working well and is handy for tight spaces.

Hopefully I will be able to try these at the beach this weekend.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login