Findmall.com

Minelab Safari/Quattro Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Re: Thinking about upgrading to Etrac....
Posted by: Happa54
Date: August 17, 2017 04:13PM
Check out these 2 youtube videos by TexasTigerDigs Tech. They are only about 10 minutes each.

"FBS choice safari or etrac: on what should you base your pick"

"Safari tone machine with TID... etrac a TID machine with tones"

An interesting statement to make about the two machines. He says the Safari is basically a TONE machine, but not a TID machine, wherein the Etrac leans more towards target identification.

Please give me your opinion on TexasDigs wisdom on these two.

Posted by: Champ Ferguson
Date: August 17, 2017 06:04PM
Nice fattie gold!

Minelab CTX
Minelab Excalibur II
Minelab Safari

Posted by: Bigtom123
Date: August 17, 2017 08:26PM
Champ Ferguson
Nice fattie gold!

Thanks.that was about 4 to 5 inches down,and any machine coulda got it,but not when you run heavy disc,forget anything like it.

Posted by: GroundHug
Date: August 24, 2017 08:25PM
Goldstrike
B.T.123......that's a very nice and what looks to be a heavy 14K ring! I wish I had found that one!!!!!

My preeeeeeeeeeeeeeeecious! Those hobbitses stole it from us!

Posted by: sasquache
Date: October 02, 2017 05:07AM
I too am on the fence shpuld i upgrade to a Etrac or stay with the Safari as far as i can tell my Safari does just ad good pulling silver, relics. I think i will stay put after reading other peoples opinions. Thanxs you were a big help.

Posted by: Southwind
Date: October 02, 2017 06:59AM
If you like Beep-N-Dig keep the Safari. If you are a more selective hunter, get the E-Trac.

The real treasure is in the hunt...

Posted by: enderman
Date: October 02, 2017 08:28AM
Stay with the Safari.

People get talked into the Etrac all the time, people automatically think it's better, but it's not IMO.

The Safari is easier to use, has a nice screen and is $500 less.

I have lots of hours on an Etrac, when I would swing a Safari, I could close my eyes and not tell the difference. I always found silver whenever I used one, easier to ID things then the with Etrac.
What I mean is, the 2nd "Fe" number really doesn't gain you any ID accuracy with the Etrac except on shallow targets.

The Etrac can't ID anything that a Safari can't, practically speaking.
You don't need the "Fe" number of the Etrac, if the tone goes squirrly on the Safari, rest assured the Fe number has dropped, if it were there.
So the screen can seem useful, however it consumes time and doesn't seem to result in any "extra" targets.

Perhaps with the Nox out now this may not be relevant, however maybe someone looking to pick up a deal on a used machine will find it useful.

I loved the Etrac, but it was a touch overrated when compared to the Safari which for whatever reason became the red headed step son of the lineup.

IMO they are all Explorers. They are more alike then different.

Posted by: Happa54
Date: October 04, 2017 08:29AM
enderman
Stay with the Safari.

People get talked into the Etrac all the time, people automatically think it's better, but it's not IMO.

The Safari is easier to use, has a nice screen and is $500 less.

I have lots of hours on an Etrac, when I would swing a Safari, I could close my eyes and not tell the difference. I always found silver whenever I used one, easier to ID things then the with Etrac.
What I mean is, the 2nd "Fe" number really doesn't gain you any ID accuracy with the Etrac except on shallow targets.

The Etrac can't ID anything that a Safari can't, practically speaking.
You don't need the "Fe" number of the Etrac, if the tone goes squirrly on the Safari, rest assured the Fe number has dropped, if it were there.
So the screen can seem useful, however it consumes time and doesn't seem to result in any "extra" targets.

Perhaps with the Nox out now this may not be relevant, however maybe someone looking to pick up a deal on a used machine will find it useful.

I loved the Etrac, but it was a touch overrated when compared to the Safari which for whatever reason became the red headed step son of the lineup.

IMO they are all Explorers. They are more alike then different.

I've been away from this forum for a bit and see people are still commenting on this post.

Yes, I'm now leaning towards keeping the Safari instead of the Etrac upgrade.

It seems I've arrived at a certain plateau now where my silver/wheatie count has shot way up. I haven't been skunked on silver for the last 12 consecutive hunts in heavy trashy parks in Los Angeles.

My successes are due to knowing my machine. Once you master those tones and learn to separate the good stuff from the trash you will be finding the silver and lots of wheaties.

The shallow coins sitting by themselves is the easy way (ie; clad) but then all it is, is clad. I'm not complaining cuz I love clad too.

With the SEF 8x6 butterfly coil, manual sens at 16 - 18 and a lot of manipulation of the coil (wiggling) I've been able to suck up coins from the trash.

It's really fun and amazing how you can see the good stuff mixed in with the trash and selectively separate it out and retrieve.

I find that as I'm swinging (slow and low) and hear the slightest high tone (mixed in with trash) I will back up and work the hell out of those signals. It's amazing how the good signals surface after working for a good 10 seconds of wiggling. The TID display will roll around throwing various signals, but when I see a high TID among all the numbers and it is in sync with the tone, I know it is a good coin, or it can be a screw cap or rusted nail, etc. But more times than not, it is a coin.

I've switched back and forth from stock coil to the 6x8 and there is no comparison on separation. The 6x8 is permanent now.

Also, I've gone back and forth from auto sens to manual and without a doubt I am getting deeper signals and more coins running in manual sens. The more sens I apply, the deeper the machine detects. I stay between 16 and 18 and toggle back and forth depending on what the machine is telling me. The more power lines and electricity in the area seems to drive my sens down a bit, but all-n-all, I rarely run my machine in auto anymore.

Just the other day, I bumped into a fellow detectorist who has a reputation out there for killing it with the silvers. He has been swinging an Etrac for many years. After a long introduction to each other we hunted a small area side by side. I dug a rosie, then he dug one. He dug 3 wheaties, I dug 2 wheaties plus a pesos coin. He digs screw caps the same as I do because they sound like silver on the Etrac. He disc's out very little and I disc out only iron. His Etac has bells and whistles and mine doesn't. But the bottom line is, we are both getting silver and wheaties. I don't see a difference on performance between the 2 machines.

For me it's all in knowing the tones and aggressive manipulation of the small coil.

At this point in time, I'll keep my Safari and wait it out on the reviews of the Equinox and just maybe, I'll buy one of those.

Posted by: enderman
Date: October 04, 2017 11:12AM
Ya maybe splurge for the Nox when it comes out, it does have features that would be usefull that the Explorer's don't have. (Safari, Etrac etc.)

It's lighter, apparently has multifrequency.

I've had a similar experience to you. I've hunted side by side with a Safari and Etrac and the coin count and type are eerily similar. Even when machines are switched. I just found the Safari easier to use.

Posted by: E-TRAC-OHIO
Date: December 12, 2017 07:04AM
A friend of mine and I bought two new Safari's about 8 years ago - I really liked the machine and so did my friend.
My first week I found three Large Cents in one day on an old cellar hole in the woods, near our farm.
No doubt about it - the Safari is a great machine !

After about a month or so my friend called me and said - "do you think we should have gone "all in" and bought E-Trac's" ?
Is the E-Trac really that much better ? - Are we missing any targets because we don't have the best ?
I told him that I had been thinking the exact same thing for the last two weeks ... Dual target ID - more setting options - a night light ( I love night hunting ), etc.

We both decided to sell the our Safari's and bought E-Trac's - after many thousands of great finds over the last 8 yrs. was it the right thing to do ?
Would the Safari have done just as well - there's no way of ever telling - but myself - I'm really glad I went to the E-Trac !

Good Hunting ! :detecting:

XP Deus * 9" Coil * Vance / Killer B Hybrid Headphones
Minelab E-Trac * 5" - 4.5" x 7" - Stealth X-8 Coils * Killer B + Gray Ghost Headphones

1724 - K.G. Half Penny * 1736 - K.G. Half Penny * 1783 - Half Real
1817 - Large Cent * 1829 - Capped Bust Dime * 1837 - Capped Bust Half Dime * 1852 - Three Cent * 1857 - Flying Eagle Cent * 1865 - Two Cent * 1877 - Seated Quarter

Posted by: Goldstrike
Date: December 12, 2017 10:14AM
This may have been mentioned before but the other option is to keep your Safari and also buy an E-Trac if you can afford to do that? You can always sell one of them afterwards! The display backlight on the E-Trac is a great thing to have. I hate having to pack up when the sun goes down and like E-Trac-Ohio pointed out, I too like to continue detecting when it's dark, especially on a beach when the crowds leave and it isn't so darn hot. I've tried a cap light and other light configurations but your dealing with glare off the screen etc;.One of these day's, I'd love to try an E-Trac in the field and see how it performs!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login