Findmall.com

Minelab Safari/Quattro Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Coinshooters: Conductive or Ferrous?
Posted by: Happa54
Date: August 19, 2017 02:27PM
Hey All;

If you are primarily a coinshooter, do you hunt in conductive or ferrous and why?

Still learning the nuances between the two.

Thank you for your input and HH.

Re: Coinshooters: Conductive or Ferrous?
Posted by: RLOH
Date: August 21, 2017 08:31AM
I usually hunt in conductive, but if I have an "iffy" signal, I will check it in a mode with a ferrous setting. That is a very neat feature of the Safari. You can be a press of the button away to switch quickly between modes. Sometimes I will check a target in three different saved modes, all on the fly. I have noticed many "high tones" when running manual sens at 16 and above. I usually re-sweep from two angles and the signal disappears if junk.

Re: Coinshooters: Conductive or Ferrous?
Posted by: Happa54
Date: August 21, 2017 09:15AM
This is how I hunt too RLOH.

I'm not a long time detectorist but I do have over 500 hours on my Safari and have tailored it to fit me.

I can't seem to wrap my brain over the "ferrous" mode. It throws off too many high tones on the non-ferrous targets.

And when I combine non-ferrous high tones with the coin high tones it becomes a distraction as it takes my focus away from my objective which is simplicity in hearing the tones.

When I hear a smooth mid tone in "conductive", I will cross check it in "ferrous" for that smooth tone which prompts me to dig. This works well for me on nickels.

And just you said, "it's just a button away to make the switch between the two modes".

There was one poster who said that 75% of gold rings ID at 9-12 and 28-32. This has produced a couple of thin gold plated jewelry for me thus far... I was impressed.

At this point n time, I'm stuck hunting in the "conductive" mode and can't see any reason to hunt in "ferrous".

I look forward to hearing more from other posters on this subject.

HH

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login