Findmall.com

Relic & Bottle Hunting Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Bottle probe
Posted by: mike k.
Date: February 05, 2016 04:19PM
Can someone please tell me what size of metal rod to use for a bottle probe (diameter ,required length , what kind of steel etc. -thanks

Re: Bottle probe
Posted by: bootyhoundpa
Date: February 05, 2016 08:39PM
Ive been out of that game for decades but as i recall the better probes are about 1/2" diam round spring steel with a slighly larger ball shape on the very bottom so as to break the vacuum when penetrating moist soil and clay...the shaft is about 5ft long and the handle should be 3/4" pipe stainless i think... the hollow handle allows you to feel and hear subtle texture changes in the soil... you could probably do a google search for privy probes to get some better ideas....

Posted by: JodyReb
Date: June 24, 2016 03:03PM
Mike, Find an old whip antenna; the type they used when CB radios were being used. They are long but you can cut them down to your desired length plus they have a built in handle. (the spring) You might find one in an old salvage yard or something like that. That's what I use. Jody...

Posted by: Daddy
Date: August 09, 2016 04:24PM
I've heard of using the torsion bar out of an old car. they're used to assist in the raising of the deck-lids. The bigger the boat, the better. I'm thinking ... Buick Electra. :biggrin:

Metal Detectorist - Dig hard and deep.

Posted by: mike k.
Date: February 01, 2017 04:38PM
ok guys I went to an auto wreckers ,and got the round bar , spring steel trunk hinges from a 80,s Cadilac, welded a ball bearing on the bottom ,and a pc. of tubing for a T handle on top . - Works excellent .

Posted by: Daddy
Date: February 01, 2017 06:05PM
mike k.
ok guys I went to an auto wreckers ,and got the round bar , spring steel trunk hinges from a 80,s Cadilac, welded a ball bearing on the bottom ,and a pc. of tubing for a T handle on top . - Works excellent .

:clapping:

Metal Detectorist - Dig hard and deep.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login