Findmall.com

White's Main Detecting Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
What is difference between a regular 950 coil & a 950 Deepscan coil anybody?
Posted by: Davy Jones Locker
Date: May 24, 2010 01:52AM
I'm curious does anybody know? what's the difference? what make a deepscan coil that as opposed to a regular coil.

Re: What is difference between a regular 950 coil & a 950 Deepscan coil anybody?
Posted by: srf2112
Date: May 24, 2010 08:28AM
I'm sure one of the experts will be able to answer this for you definitely but it's my understanding that they are earlier and later models of the same coil. Unless I'm confused.....which is always a possibility.
HH
Scoyy

Re: What is difference between a regular 950 coil & a 950 Deepscan coil anybody?
Posted by: Larry (IL)
Date: May 24, 2010 09:24AM
The 950 coil is a concentric coil and modern coils that are labled "wide scan" are a DD or SEF style. I think the older deep scan 950 is just a name change on the same coil, I might be wrong on that......it has been quite a few years..............:blink: This is "in part" of a post I just made on the XLT forum concerning the concentric vs. the modern "deep scan" type coils.

So much depends on the ground to determine if a DD or concentric coil works best. In my ground a concentric simply can not get the depth that a DD or SEF style coil can. I did a lot of the initial coil testing on the prototypes of the V3 and the D2 coils. Hundreds of hours went into comparing concentric, DD and SEF coils in the development of the D2 and which coil might be the best coil to issue as the "stock" coil on the V3. The DD style D2 and SEF coils won hands down in my testing. For almost every major manufacture to issue a "non-concentric" coil as stock may suggest that it is more than just a passing fad. I long used the 10" DD Excelerator coil as my "stock" coil on the DFX for many years, clearly getting more depth and quieter operation with the ground noise as well.

With the electronics technology hitting a brick wall on gaining more depth in the ground, the development of newer and better search coils is what is going to get us to new depths.

What coil works best for you is still a personal choice and that is why there are so many choices of coils for the average user.

Bells and whistles are nice, but nothing will substitute for the basic understanding of the hobby.

:minelab: CTX 3030, :whites: V3i

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 05/24/2010 11:11AM by Larry (IL).

Date: May 24, 2010 09:27AM
I stand corrected.

To my knowledge, it was simply marketing.
Posted by: Monte
Date: May 24, 2010 10:31AM
A 950 would "scan more deeply" than an 8" or other smaller-sized "stock" coil that was common with most brands at the time.

Back 35-40 years ago, a "Double-D" or "DD" term was used to describe the physical appearance of the internal Tx and Rx windings of a "Wide-Scan" coil and Wide-Scan was a popular term to describe them compared to a few other configurations in use at the time. Through the years since, there have been some manufacturers who favored the term Wide-Scan (such as Tesoro) while others opted for the term Double-D. They are both the same thing.

Wide-Scan suggests a Double-D design. Deep-Scan simply is used to market a deeper-seeking coil for, perhaps, larger-sized targets. It shouldn't be confused with a Wide-Scan design. All the 950's have been essentially the same coil.

Monte

Date: May 24, 2010 08:05PM
So what your saying then the coil on my QXT that says 950 deepscan is say no better than my 950 coil on my spectrum XLT ?

The Past is more interesting than the Present !
Digging up the past one item at a time !

Detectors Used:

Fisher 1236x2 8" coil

Quantum XT & Deep Scan 9.5 Coil &

Black Max 5.3 Coil

Bullseye 120 mm Pin pointer

Whites # 1

Posted by: Hombre
Date: May 24, 2010 08:39PM
Same coil..........just different decals is all. Both are for 6.59Khz White's detectors. What works on the QXT will work for XLT, 6000 Pro XL,XL Pro, 5900 Di Pro SL almost all Classics, IDX, IDX Pro etc,etc.

Date: May 24, 2010 10:43PM
:blink::look::huh:just a plain jane tell me it ain't so !! :thumbdown:

Detectors Used:

Fisher 1236x2 8" coil

Black Max 5.3 Coil

Whites # 1

Posted by: billbeep
Date: May 25, 2010 02:50PM
Not mentioned is the Eagle Series that uses a Blue Max 950 Deepscan Coil.:unsure:

Billbeep

Date: May 25, 2010 04:51PM
IN a word stock,plain,regular coil

Detectors Used:

Fisher 1236x2 8" coil

Black Max 5.3 Coil

Whites # 1

Date: May 25, 2010 05:51PM
Hey Davy, hows that plain old stock coil working for you on that QXT ? Pretty good ? Uh huh, mine too. ( I must confess I haven't used it a lot but I really liked what I saw )
HH
Scott

Posted by: baldy804
Date: May 26, 2010 01:28AM
same coil different sticker happy hunting

Date: May 27, 2010 01:08AM
Hey srf2112 you got a Quantum? what model :clapping:

Detectors Used:

Fisher 1236x2 8" coil

Black Max 5.3 Coil

Whites # 1

Date: May 27, 2010 08:22AM
I picked up a QXT pro with the stock Black Max 950 coil on it a couple months ago. It is one of critterhunters old machines. Being so new to MD'ing ( 5-6 mo's ) I was a bit confused and frustrated at first but recently took it out with more knowledge and experience under my belt and man am I impressed. After starting to get used to the tones I'm really seeing why so many hunters love the multi-tone feature on their machines. I almost sold it but am VERY glad I didn't. It will be a long time until I can maximize it's effectiveness but learning means hunting and that's ALWAYS good. I had also been having trouble getting comfortable with the relic mode on my MXT but after a little time on the QXT everything is falling into place and the relic mode will be getting a lot of use when I'm healed and can start hunting again. Sorry, I know that's a lot more than you asked but once I get started talking about detecting......
HH
Scott

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login