Findmall.com

White's Main Detecting Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
WHITE'S COINMASTER PRO
Posted by: joe dirt_1
Date: September 28, 2010 02:07PM
I just got a Coinmaster Pro this morning and am ready to take it out for a hunt to see what it is capable of. Air testing it inside shows it to get good strong signals on coins and jewelry at pretty good distances, but of course we don't find coins and jewelry in air. This is the first Whites detector I have owned in about 30 years of detecting....pretty much used Fisher and Tesoro detectors all those years but wanted to try the Coinmaster Pro to see how it would work for a light weight yard hunter that had a meter. I will be comparing it to my Tesoro Silver Ámax for all around performance. If it is as good or better than the Silver Ámax I will be very happy with the Coinmaster Pro.

There seems to be very little information on the net about the Coinmaster Pro. Not sure if this is because it is a newer detector or just not that popular with detectorists yet. It has several nice features for a detector in the 200.00 price range although the armrest and rod system could be better designed. If anyone has tips or tricks for the Coinmaster Pro I would like to hear about them. Is there any type of ground adjustment in case the detector is set to positive or negative for my ground? I will give my views of the detector after spending a few hours with it this afternoon at a couple sites that have produced silver coins and older wheaties in the past.

Roger

Re: WHITE'S COINMASTER PRO
Date: September 28, 2010 11:00PM
I took the coinmaster pro to a couple different sites this afternoon to give it a work out. Also took the tesoro silver Ámax to compare with the whites detector since they are both close to the same price. There was no comparison... the tesoro ate the coinmaster pro alive. Depth, response, comfort, build quality etc..... all tesoro. I kind of expected this outcome even before using them side by side, but wanted to satisfy my curiosity about the coinmaster pro. The coinmaster might have performed better with a smaller coil in the trashy sites I was hunting in but all I had was the stock 9 inch coil. The coinmaster was very easy to set up and use so it might be good for someone to learn on, but for me it just didn't live up to my expectations, so it is being traded for another tesoro tomorrow...a tesoro bandido. :)

Roger

Posted by: nw1886
Date: September 29, 2010 11:01AM
Those little ol' Tesoros...... Big difference between a block metering and VDI readout so when talking lower costing machine, punch and response times rule over "spoon fed" info every time. To be fair though......at that price point, there's not much of a downside and spoon feeding does make for a more enjoyable experience to someone just learning. They do find the goods (and pay for themselves quick).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/29/2010 11:02AM by nw1886.

Re: WHITE'S COINMASTER PRO we got very different results........
Posted by: Ivan
Date: September 29, 2010 05:03PM
................up here in Washington State. Tested the Coinmaster Pro against the same Tesoro and the Tesoro was totally spanked!!!! Deep targets with the Coinmaster were hard strong hits......with the Tesoro you probably wouldn't have dug the targets. Whites loud alert saved the day. Depth on targets in dry sand was about 2" deeper probably because of the slightly larger Whites coil. The Coinmaster seemed to like nickels and foil even though it's not a high KHZ unit???Also in the slightly damp hard packed beach sand test..... we planted a nickel at 5 inches and.........with the Coinmaster the audio was a tad delayed and a bit weaker on first hit but came through surprisingly strong and clear after a few passes. On the Tesoro the original hit was weak and ....strangely got weaker on further passes????? That was odd!The bottlecap rejection of the Whites was simply superior. Yet it was marginally better than the Tesoro on rusted nails.The new Whites spider coil had very smooth audio and didn't produce the large number of annoying sputters and ticks.... that were common place with the Tesoro. The Tesoro was lighter and better balanced and had more coil options but both of us agreed that for performance up here in the areas we hunt the Coinmaster Pro was the winner hands down. I wonder if Monte in Oregon is getting similar results?? PS: Side note my buddy Rick traded away the Tesoro after our 5 hour comparison park/beach test.

Date: September 29, 2010 05:14PM
A couple things I really didn't like about the coinmaster pro was the slow response time and no padding in the arm cup. The plastic arm cup was irritating my arm where it was rubbing on it and the lack of a locking nut on the stem caused some wobble to the lower shaft. It just felt like a bare bones detector and cheaply made. The control housing was pretty nice actually....very easy to use and simple to set up. If Whites would add some padding to the arm cup and address the wobbling lower stem and ship the detector with a smaller coil more suited for trashy enviroments it would have made a better impression on me I believe.

Re: WHITE'S COINMASTER PRO we got very different results........
Posted by: Larry (IL)
Date: September 29, 2010 07:44PM
I have to agree with you Ivan, your results are more in line with what I have experienced. I once owned a Silver uMax and a nice little detector it was but it was no competition to the Coinmaster and CM Pro. IMHO

Bells and whistles are nice, but nothing will substitute for the basic understanding of the hobby.

:minelab: CTX 3030, :whites: V3i

Ivan, since you asked, here is my 'report' on the Coinmaster Pro, the Tesoro, and other competition on the market.
Posted by: Monte
Date: September 30, 2010 10:04AM
This is not to be taken as "brand comparison" because, quite frankly, there isn't a perfect detector on the market that is suited for everyone. instead, this is just a response to Ivan's post and points to the benefits every make and model might offer to a wide-range of shoppers.

First, you have to consider the site environment, such as the density or compactness of the soil and the ferrous (iron) mineral make-up. In addition, there can be iron trash targets to deal with, and you can also encounter challenges from sweep speed, target response and recovery, audio target response, and all sorts of variables. Let's not forget the detector's Ground Balance setting to deal with the ground's challenges.

Ivan
................up here in Washington State. Tested the Coinmaster Pro against the same Tesoro and the Tesoro was totally spanked!!!!
If I recall the comparison was the Coinmaster Pro Vs a Silver ÁMAX. I have used these two models, and others in a similar price range, in an assortment of field comparisons here in NW Oregon. When both were set up for maximum functioning Sensitivity and each used the least amount of Discrimination, I found both to produce similar depth of detection, but the deeper targets sounded off a little better with the Coinmaster and Coinmaster Pro simply due to the more saturated audio used in the response. Note that I said similar depth of detection because the site conditions caused some differences.

Ivan
Deep targets with the Coinmaster were hard strong hits......with the Tesoro you probably wouldn't have dug the targets. Whites loud alert saved the day.
I noted the same results with models that featured a saturated audio, but that is due to the designs signal processing. The Tesoro uses a modulated audio response which means mid-range to deeper targets will have a diminished response as the coil-to-target range increases. It should be noted that I had picked up a Coinmaster, simply due to the retail price, to use as a 'loaner' for friends and family as well as to property owners so they could join the thrill of the search when I gained property access. The benefit was that it provided some visual Target ID info so the user didn't feel slighted compared to using a meter-less Tesoro.

In fairness, I decided to part with the Coinmaster for the same reasons I parted with the Prizm models I had for the same purpose. Mainly, I didn't care for the delayed response. I prefer to have a quick-response and fast-recovery, and most who used the Coinmaster or Prizm's I had also were familiar with an assortment of makes and models, mainly the White's MXT or M6 or Classic series models, and just hated the delayed response time. Additionally, I picked the Coinmaster from three available at the time because in the Dealer's yard the one had a better preset Ground Balance for both the Disc. and All Metal functions which meant reduced falsing in our bad ground. I have helped a few people who have a Coinmaster or a Prizm, however, who have falsing issues and that can be annoying.

Many new users, however, like the saturated audio response of some models and visual TID info so i chose to replace the Coinmaster with a Teknetics Delta. That action led to other decisions I have made in personal detector selection, too. But, let me state that the Tesoro models produced much better response in dense surface nail testing even compared with my Delta or the Coinmasters. There-in lies perhaps one of the better strengths of the Tesoro models, or many of them, compared with most other makes and models available today.

This particular point was driven home in actual demonstration at a park last month when we held our Detector Owners Rendezvous meeting. We had great weather and held our program at the park setting and I handed out a copy of my 'Nail Board' and a write-up for testing detectors. Just because a quick-response model is used it won't always guarantee top-notch performance when a coin is on the same plane as nails. I'm working on getting a copy of my "Nail Board" sample and a write-up on our website soon and then you and others can down-load it and compare.

Briefly, the "Nail Board" came about when I was hunting an old southern Utah ghost town in '94 and when I reached the hill-top where the school was, it was blanketed with nails. There, in plain sight, was an Indian Head 1ó laying on the surface and it was bordered by 4 nearby nails. Briefly, a number of club members at the location tried their detectors and coils and found them total failures to signal in the iron nail trash, on the surface, with a coin in plain sight! most were White's Spectrums, or 6000 Di Pro SL's or Eagles and all were using either the 8" or 950 coils. A Garrett was tried, a Treasure Baron, and two others, but the only models that signaled on that Indian Head included an 'original' Tesoro Silver Sabre and a Silver Sabre II and Bandido. Coils used were 7" or 8".

At our Detector Owners Rendezvous this month a topic was dealing with trash and thus the Nail Board paper was laid out and four different-sized nails were placed in their spots. (I used some note paper at the time of discovery to mark the positions of the nails and the Indian Head.) I used a Delta w/8", Omega w/5" DD, and others used a Fisher Coin Strike w/8", White's DFX w/950 and 5.3 Eclipse, and a couple of MXT's with 5.3 Eclipse and the Shooter DD coils. While some mentioned got a signal on some controlled sweeps, only two models present gave regular, solid, repeatable beeps on the coin I placed on the paper .... a Compass 94 TR w/8" coil and a Tesoro Silver Sabre II w/8" coil. Those attending were a bit surprised at the so-so performance of their more expensive and much more featured models in such an iron nail test.

Ivan
Depth on targets in dry sand was about 2" deeper probably because of the slightly larger Whites coil.
Yes, the larger coil might have been part of the benefit, but I personally am not thrilled with any detector that is intended for day-to-day casual coin hunting but comes equipped with a coil larger than 8". To ME, an 8" coil ought to be the best general-use coil, and on a lower-end model I'd personally offer it with anything fro 6" to 8", but not larger. In some of our dry sand sites where I worked the Coinmaster, and these were very dark gray and quite mineralized sandy sites in volleyball courts, I noted that both the Coinmaster and Ace 250 and Silver ÁMAX models I was comparing needed to be worked with a very controlled sweep speed as a too-fast sweep would swamp the filters with ground signal and not allow a target signal to pass. All had stock coils. The Tesoro and Coinmaster both beat out the Ace 250, but I couldn't tell too much difference in max depth between the two of them.

Ivan
The Coinmaster seemed to like nickels and foil even though it's not a high KHZ unit???Also in the slightly damp hard packed beach sand test..... we planted a nickel at 5 inches and.........with the Coinmaster the audio was a tad delayed and a bit weaker on first hit but came through surprisingly strong and clear after a few passes. On the Tesoro the original hit was weak and ....strangely got weaker on further passes????? That was odd!
Many models operating at a lower frequency still can do well on the US 5ó coin. It is 75% copper and only 25% nickel. Matter of fact, I have done quite well for over a dozen years with a White's Classic model, such as the Classic III SL, Classic ID and IDX Pro. Same 6.59 kHz as the XLT and XL Pro, but they hit well on the 5ó coins and small gold jewelry. I do well now with a couple of 7.8 kHz detectors, too, so I don't lump such great success on the "higher frequency" types such that others are not performers.

As for beach hunting, which isn't my favorite thing to do, I'd be hard pressed to pick between some models, but I'd use a simple TID model to a simple non-metered unit so, in this case, I might opt for the Coinmaster to the Silver ÁMAX. Honestly, though, I would use something else than either of them.

Ivan
The bottlecap rejection of the Whites was simply superior. Yet it was marginally better than the Tesoro on rusted nails.The new Whites spider coil had very smooth audio and didn't produce the large number of annoying sputters and ticks.... that were common place with the Tesoro.
Grab a White's Classic ID, III SL or IDX Pro and you'll have one of the better 'bottle cap' rejecting units out there. Besides, bottle caps can be quite a challenge for most models and it calls for technique to better reject bottle caps. Iron nails are a different matter than bottle caps.

Ivan
The Tesoro was lighter and better balanced and had more coil options but both of us agreed that for performance up here in the areas we hunt the Coinmaster Pro was the winner hands down. I wonder if Monte in Oregon is getting similar results??
Well, there are Monte's results for you. I had a couple of Prizms, and I took to the basic Coinmaster due to the low price and 8" coil, but I am not all that impressed with it for the sites I hunt. I have gone with a different make and model to use as a loaner for friends and family.

Most of the folks at White's who know me through the years are aware that i have been, in the past, a fan of certain Tesoro models for the sites I usually hunted, and I am referring to iron-infested ghost towns. That was because they had moderate to fast-sweep detectors and didn't satisfy me until they brought out the Classic series, especially the ID, IDX Pro and III SL units. At that point I sort of annoyed the Tesoro owners with my frequent references to the performance I got from White's Classic's when responding on a Tesoro forum. Oh well, that's how it goes. No perfect detector so we sort things out and when avid enough to get out a lot we own at least two models that compliment each other.

Ivan
PS: Side note my buddy Rick traded away the Tesoro after our 5 hour comparison park/beach test.
If your buddy traded away a Silver ÁMAX, I don't fault him. It is short on performance due to the preset GB, it lacks any visual info, and I have found some that just didn't work well. I wonder what Rick decided to get, however, because there are a lot of very good performing detectors out there from White's and others that are better than the plain-Jane Silver ÁMAX.

Shoot me an e-mail to monte@ahrps.net and let me know where you and Rick are. I plan on making a trip up into Washington to visit some folks in the next couple of months and I'd be glad to meet up and talk detectors with you. Heck, I'll even help thin out a site with you, too. :)

Monte

Date: September 30, 2010 10:25PM
Monte, thanks for the great post..... you are a wealth of information and I enjoy reading all your posts. As I stated earlier I believe the coinmaster pro would have performed better with a smaller coil than the stock 9 inch coil. I had lots of problems with the coinmaster falsing on me and couldn't get it to stop no matter what I tried. The coinmaster might have a few features more than the Silver Ámax
but in the area I hunt the Silver does a great job for me with the 5.75 coil. Even though the Silver Ámax is a plain jane detector it has one of the highest owner ratings of the Tesoro line of detectors. If I could only have one detector it would be the Silver Ámax..............Roger

Posted by: oldcoon
Date: October 01, 2010 07:13PM
I do not know the circumstances these 'tests' were carried out.
Had I been conducting the tests my Silver uMax would have won.
Why?
Because I own and use a Silver uMax.
I know all that machine's nuances.
I would have been merely playing around with the Coinmaster Pro.
Hardly a fair test, don't you think?
The proof is in the pudding.
I care only about what I can do with a machine,
not what someone else does.

Dispenser of sage wisdom.

Posted by: mic.b
Date: July 29, 2012 01:28PM
Having bought a nearly new Coinmaster Pro I found the tone Id to be accurate and the depth above average if the sens was set right for the ground.NO gripes for the price,as good or better than a friends Ace 250.I had to downgrade and sell my previous machine(MXT)due to Xmas financial pressures and I am pleasantly suprised by this machine.Judicial use of sensitvity allows for wet or dry sand searching and tho not brilliant gives a good account of itself.Dont be too hard on this budget machine its good value if you dont expect too much.

Posted by: padgett79
Date: July 29, 2012 05:30PM
as for the no padding issue you can use the same replacable pads that the xlt dfx v3i use for about 1.50 from your local whites dealer may take he irritation off the arm and I agree I wish they would have put the locking lower shaft on the detector.

is there such a thing as too bad a day for detecting?????? I think not
Whites; XLT,VX3,V3i and now a Beach Hunter id 300

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login