Findmall.com

White's Main Detecting Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Re: Whites 5900 di pro sl.
Posted by: MarkCZ
Date: March 24, 2012 09:35AM
MarkCZ
Back to actually hunting in GEB ALL METAL, not to start off with!
And not for coin hunting, relic hunters many times will hunt in All Metal.

I just use the GEB All Metal mode for ground balancing, once balanced I switch back to GEB NORM mode.

Enjoy your new friend!

Any questions just shoot me a PM!

Mark
Sometimes I'd like to kick myself in the fanny when I miss quote stuff like the above!

The above should have read,
I just use GEB/NORM (that is the GEB All Metal) for ground balance, once balanced I switch back to GEB/DISC mode (that is the discrimination mode) my my normal hunting.

Man, Monte sure puts a lot into his post!
Thanks Monte,

Mark

The broken detector syndrome :spin:
Date: March 24, 2012 12:19PM
Back on the broken detector faze.
My brother and I laugh and joke with each other when one of us gets a new to detector about getting past the "Broken Detector Faze" (or the broken detector syndrome).

The both of use has had a good number of detector and I believe at one time we thought all of them to be broken but I know for me I only had one that was actually broken, (my Coinstrike had a bad coil, drove me nuts I just thought I was having trouble getting past the broken faze LOL)
And I believe my brother (WV62) has had only one, other than in the beginning with a half dozen of "Jetco's".

Just last night I went through some of the broken faze with the ID Edge I trade for. In my mind you access ALL settings via the menu (the coinstrike is like that) Well, as much as I tried and tried I couldn't get to the notch settings, I pushed the menu button, I pushed the up/down arrow buttons and the notch function just wouldn't display, yep! its broken I concluded LOL! but as I reflected back on the possible "Broken Detector Syndrome" an pondered the situation a bit, I noticed that on the other side of the control housing is a button marked "NOTCH" well I wonder what that does DUGH! it turns out that the notch function is really just fine.
Now, I know that that sounds really stupid! and to a point it is, be I know that others has done the same thing, you have something clear in your mine and we get blind to a different reality, we will read it it the manual but not make the transition from one way we know it to be, to the new or different way that it really is.
Now, for others here last night was my first time to lay my eyes and hands on an ID Edge, fresh out of the packing and I just went at it the way I thought it to be, like the Coinstrike and in some ways it is, but in some ways it isn't.
Now, I'm ready for the next "broken syndrome" moments with the edge and I'm sure as simple of a machine as it is I'm still going to have those brain dead times with it LOL!

I already told of the time my brother went through the "broken faze" with that older Teknetics 9000/B well later in time I ended up with that detector, but shoulder to shoulder with him I don't remember me having to deal with the "broken faze".

But I do remember my first whites 5000/Di ser2 and the broken faze!
It was a hot summer day, it was family hunt,
use three brothers,
our dad, his brother (uncle jack)
I had the 5000, we were in town curb hunting.
Everybody was hunting way, but me! I turned this knob, that knob, turned it off, bad on. Took the batteries out, but nothing I did would settle it down at one point I just laid it down on the ground while it chirped and cracked and popped. I was MAD, and I knew that the Da** thing was BROKEN.
So I cussed, and ranted. Now that day was ruined, but in my fit I lost focus, my mind locked up and I couldn't see the tree's for the forest. To later find out that I didn't know how to deal (set the detector) for in town EMI interference.

That's why I said that once you get past the learning curve of the manual ground balance you'll look back and laugh!
You are off to a really good start because rather than having a fit, you just set up the presets and went about hunting :thumbup:

I have another multi-knob vintage detector, its basically the analog version of the Teknetics 9000/B
The point being is when you learn the way around analog controls and the manual settings of them it really helps as a BASE for understanding detecting as a whole.

Below is a couple of pictures of my OLD Tek 8500 (the controls on it are the same as the 9000) notice the control knob for "A" Batt, "B" batt, and OPA (OPA= stands for operate) My brothers broken day at the church was this control was set to one of the battery test positions, instead of "OPA" LOL!

The 8500 below has become my "Cherry Picker" detector.

HH
Mark

Re: The broken detector syndrome :spin:
Posted by: MichiganJason
Date: March 24, 2012 12:53PM
Well after reading all of your responses I went out today and tried again. I finally got it to ground balance properly and was actually able to up the signal balance without it freaking out. I didn't find anything old but I am getting much better depth. I really appreciate everyone taking time out of their day to help me out. Thank you. One thing I really like about the 5900 is how the signal is really choppy over crappy targets. I was getting bottlecaps that registered in the quarter range but the signal was really crackly and choppy which is really nice because the main area I detect is an old campground that is littered with them. With my Coinstike and Omega I found that bottlecaps sounded just like coins.

Re: The broken detector syndrome :spin:
Date: March 24, 2012 01:24PM
MichiganJason
Well after reading all of your responses I went out today and tried again. I finally got it to ground balance properly and was actually able to up the signal balance without it freaking out. I didn't find anything old but I am getting much better depth. I really appreciate everyone taking time out of their day to help me out. Thank you. One thing I really like about the 5900 is how the signal is really choppy over crappy targets. I was getting bottlecaps that registered in the quarter range but the signal was really crackly and choppy which is really nice because the main area I detect is an old campground that is littered with them. With my Coinstike and Omega I found that bottlecaps sounded just like coins.
To help on the junk targets you can cross sweep the targets a few times at the normal sweep speed, then to help the discrimination circuits out a bit, do a couple of a little faster sweeps and you'll find that good target will only come in better! and the junk bottle caps will most of the time completely null out!

It sounds like your getting a grip on running the 5900, depth will come, and so will the good finds!

Good Luck With All Your Hunting!

Mark

Posted by: WV62
Date: March 24, 2012 01:58PM
MarkCZ's brother here, just like to say I think it is okay and somewhat natural to think that something is broken if you don't understand what is going on. Trying to read a manual and do what it says is pretty hard if don't even speak detecting at that point. The more you are around detectors the easier it is to work through the broken stage.

I went through the a broken 1270 just early last year. It didn't take to long to go through several things to check and see if it was something like a cable, batteries, coil, or just operator error. I went through all that and even changed locations, I handed it off to brother MarkCZ for a final check and it was actually broken. So in that case it did go back to FT for repairs and it was repaired and returned to me. Another check out and all was okay.

Bottom line I know MarkCZ wouldn't send anybody a broken detector and I have been with him on several hunts with that 5900. So I feel sure you have a good working detector.

I would suggest that you work on one problem at a time until you get some feel of what the detector is doing. If you are having trouble with ground balancing I would spend a little extra time and get that down before moving on to something else.

I would add some tips on ground balancing but I haven't used a White's detector in 20 plus years.

Wish you good luck with your 5900,

Ron in WV

Worked and lived in the Huntington West Virginia area all my life, retired 2010
US Air Force Vietnam Veteran (68-69 & 70-71)
Started getting into metal detecting around 1975

Posted by: TerraDigger
Date: March 24, 2012 02:47PM
Those older analog White's are great on bottlecaps. My 6000Di Series 3 would do the same on BC's. Good meter signal but a really broken chattery audio signal. Faster the sweep....the more broken it would get. Loved that attribute.

Posted by: bootyhoundpa
Date: March 24, 2012 05:30PM
its a great machine with a slight learning curve.....i didnt quiet understand how gb either.... read and re-read the owners manual and the above posts...it will come to you too.....while in the process of ground balanc ing think of the g e b knob sort of as a volume control on a radio....you are trying to make volume level the same whether the coil is raised or lowered.......i dont know what the soil is like where you live but i find where i hunt the g e b knob usually ends up within one or two digits of where the pre set mark is.... and like you mentioned you can do pretty good just using the pre sets until you master ground balancing...thats what i did....

Posted by: TerraDigger
Date: March 24, 2012 05:56PM
Not to sound harsh...but.....learn to ground balance the unit properly...above all other things to learn about the unit...and everything else will easily fall in place. That's where your focus needs to be.

Posted by: MichiganJason
Date: March 24, 2012 06:39PM
I did learn today...the problem totally was not pulling the trigger after each adjustment. Still haven't pulled any old coins but at least now I am getting deep targets.

Posted by: CoinDuck
Date: February 15, 2017 01:33AM
greetings,skookum. Noticed you have a 1270 with various coils in your arsenal. Recently acquired a nice one with stock coil. Haven't used it much except a little in my yard. Manual doesn't say much about the iron disc. Would you give me a little insight about the machine in general; as well as how to utilize the iron disc? Duck!:bouncy:

Posted by: bootyhoundpa
Date: February 15, 2017 04:35AM
Go on you tube and watch the factory 1270 video it explains a good deal of what you want to know...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login