Findmall.com

White's Main Detecting Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Re: Places to MD In Jacksonville FL
Posted by: CWRelichunter
Date: January 31, 2013 11:34AM
All,

I have been on the phone for 30mins calling State, County, and Local governments. In Clay county, GREEN COVE SPRINGS is OFF-LIMTS...No detecting.

Just because a site is NOT on the Florida Master Site File does not mean you are good to go. Local laws are also in place.

Be careful.

J in FL

Posted by: Tom_in_CA
Date: February 02, 2013 07:48PM
Rick182
Basically Clay County Florida Ordinance 2009-34 covers County-owned properties listed on the Florida Master Site Plan. The Florida Master Site Plan is Florida's official inventory of historical and cultural resources. If the County-owned property is not listed there then it does not fall under this ordinance, IMO.

The initial wording of the proposal stated: "All objects in or lying upon the ground on County park or property, including historic artifacts, old coins, pottery shards, jewelry, or other valuables, are the property of the County and shall not be removed from the site."
However this wording was removed before the ordinance was approved.

The actual ordinance reads: "(j) Removal of artifacts prohibited. The following activities are unlawful and a violation of this subsection:

Operation of a metal detector and digging with any instrument to retrieve objects or artifacts embedded in or lying upon the ground on any County-owned burial site or cemetery or on any County-owned property listed on the Florida Master Plan by the Division of Historical Resources of the Department of State pursuant to Section 267.031(5)(m), Florida Statutes."

Hmm, very interesting Rick. This is a case where, as you can see, state level rules (regarding state parks) don't necessarily subrogate down to county and city level parks UNLESS SPECIFICALLY INCORPORATED by a city or county, by choice. You know, for example, like state parks may not allow fireworks, yet a county park might allow them. Or state parks might have a dogs-on-leash law, while a city park is silent on the subject (doesn't address dogs either way). And so forth. But in the case you cite here, the state level verbage on the subject is brought down, by incorporation, to that particular county's park's specific inclusion.

How much you want to make a bet, that the ONLY reason this was done, in that county, was d/t years ago people went asking "can I metal detect?" type questions. And then sure as heck, they have to "address the pressing issue", and give an answer. Doh!

Just curious
Date: February 02, 2013 07:53PM
Just curious CW relic-hunter, when you got that "no", did they cite an actual rule, that actually/specifically said "no metal detectors"? Or did they just morph something else to apply to the "pressing questions" you posed to them? Eg.: disturbing vegetation, cultural heritage, etc....? The reason I ask is, I've heard of places that were routinely detected, and no one ever had a problem before. But then someone takes it upon themselves to go ask, and finds themselves a "no" from some desk-bound bureaucrat. If they had an actual rule saying such a thing, then so be it. But if not, then you might have been a victim of "no one cared, till you asked". You can always look up rules for yourself, to get to the same objective of knowing whether rules exist. If you saw nothing saying "no metal detectors", then .......... presto, I guess it must not be prohibited, right?

Posted by: Rick182
Date: February 09, 2013 09:20PM
Guess we need to find out if all Clay County owned property is listed on the Florida Master Site Plan.

http://www.flheritage.com/preservation/sitefile/

Posted by: Rick182
Date: February 10, 2013 08:47AM
Here is some further research that I have done concerning the ban on metal detectors in Clay County Florida.

You can go to the Clay County Commissioner's web site at:
http://www.claycountygov.com/commissioners
Scroll down and click on the link: www.claybcc.com/public
Username: press
Pasword: presspass
in order to read past emails to/from the County Commissioner's, look at the emails dated in September 2009.
Since these emails are public record and available to everyone I have posted responses from the County Commissioner's to save you some time. I removed the original senders name and edited the email to get to the point, but you can read the full emails at the link above.

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Monday, September 07, 2009 4:20 PM
Subject: RE: Metal detecting in your county

FYI: the Rules committee which I serve on did not support staff's
recommendation to ban metal detecting throughout the County, but rather only
in certain historial sites.

Take care,
Travis Cummings
County Commissioner, District 3

Sent: Tuesday, September 08, 2009 5:30 PM
Subject: Re: Metal Detecting proposed ban in Clay County

the ban is specifically for historical sites owned by Clay County only; not all of Clay County.

Sincerely,
Chereese Stewart

Sent: Saturday, September 05, 2009 4:03 PM
Subject: Re: Metal Detecting proposed ban in Clay County

Thank you for being interested in our county. I hope if an ordinance is passed to do with metal detectors, it will be only prevent the use of detectors on sites that are on the Historical Register, Burial sites or Cemeteries.
Sincerely,
Ronnie Robinson

To me it is clear that the county DID NOT ban the entire county owned properties but those areas that I stated earlier. I will attempt to contact the state via contact information posted on their web site at
http://www.flheritage.com/preservation/sitefile/ and obtain information about the Master Site File and also email the Clay County Commissioner's and attempt to get clarification/confirmation. In the mean time could you provide me the individuals/departments contact information that stated MDing was off-limits.

Excellent Rick
Date: February 10, 2013 02:58PM
Excellent sleuthing work Rick-182. But I have a question for you: Why would you want to go try to further "clarify" or "confirm" such good news ? I mean, why argue with that ? Seems to me that you can just print that out and carry that with you (for if a busy-body approached).

By going and seeking more blessings, you might do nothing more than create a big bullseye on yourself , that they think needs "more rules " for. Thus I'd go with that answer you have right there , from those very people in authority who have the say-so to interpret. Why argue with a yes?

Posted by: abjames28
Date: December 01, 2014 01:47AM
I am new to detecting and trying to win the wife over, but all the parks here say "Do not disturb or cut vegitation.? Does that mean it is not allowed or that you just canr dig anything up in the grass?

Posted by: lt1z350
Date: December 01, 2014 10:42AM
Where in jax are you trying to hunt? Most parks I go to around here don't say that.

Posted by: Leesurf04
Date: December 05, 2016 06:07PM
Hi I'm wondering what is the name of the park in beaver st.? I'm new in this Hobbie and I went to Jax beach today an di found 1.24 cents was pretty fun. If you know the name of the park please let me know thanks.

Posted by: Des D
Date: December 06, 2016 02:01PM
"Barbara...I'm comin' over! I always said I'd marry the first gal I met with a metal detector!" Lol.....:twodetecting:

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login