Findmall.com

White's Main Detecting Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
vowow#1, here are my opinions about the :whites: MX5 and Coin GT.
Posted by: Monte
Date: September 28, 2013 09:12AM
yowow#1
Just wondering what people think about the whites MX5, maybe compared to the coinmaster GT, they appear to have pretty close the same functions. just thinking out loud.
Well, I guess you could say I am "thinking out loud" as I write this reply as I have only been using the new MX5 for a couple of days to evaluate it, but I think my assessment, so far, is quite correct.

I like the Coinmaster GT for the price bracket it is in, especially with the number of detectors in that price range that only have a preset GB or lack other nice features the Coin GT has. The Coin GT really is the former Prizm 6T, just in a burgundy-colored housing and using a 2-piece rod system w/o rod-locks. I felt the Prizm 6T was over-priced for the bracket it was designed to compete in, but the Coin GT, the same unit, is now priced very well.

I felt the Prizm 6T was high especially because it had the same suggested retail price as White's M6. While I liked the Prizm 6T for what it offered and how it preformed for what I consider to be the 'average' Coin Hunting hobbyist, I found that I needed more or different performance demands to accomplish successful hunts at the types of sites I seek out, and I consider myself to be a more 'avid detectorist' who understands touch challenges and knows what's needed to be functional under really tough conditions.

That said, a lot of the measure of what is needed in a detector for a consumer is in the types of sites they hunt, the mineralization they face, and the type of trash they generally deal with as well as the density of the trash at a location. For example, here are some examples of what I hear from people faced with common questions or some typical descriptions they offer.:

"I hunt in average ground." ... 'Average?' Just what is 'average?' Some people are lead to believe that gold nuggets are found in very mineralized ground, and since they don't have gold nuggets in their area, they must not be in mineralized ground. Wrong! I have hunted gold nuggets in areas with a more moderate ferrous mineralization level than some of the ghost towns I hunt out west, and more mellow than some urban parks or renovation sites I encounter.

"My ground not too mineralized."... Dirty bad nasty ground mineralization can really have a negative impact on a detector's performance. It is important to know what type of iron mineral ground we are dealing with, and equally important to know how the detector handles the ground (Ground Balance and/or Auto-Tracking) and how to achieve the best sweep speed in varying conditions. There are a lot of differences between various detector circuitry designs when I comes t filtering ground signal and target signals. The typical metal detecting hobbyist generally doesn't know mild from mellow from moderate from severe.

"I like to use Tone ID all the time."... Why, I ask? I usually hear the answer that it helps them find just the good targets, and they usually express the feeling that they think it works great. Near perfect! If their detector is capable of turning 'Off' the Tone ID, I frequently ask if they have tried it, but most often get a 'No' response, and others say "Yes, but everything sounds the same."

That is sort of correct, but a trained ear will start to pick out some subtle audio differences, better with some makes and models than with others. A model with a saturated audio response won't convey subtle information like a good modulated audio can.

If you attended one of my full-day seminars, you would hear the comments of attendees before some demonstrations, and then get some different opinions after I have used their detectors to demonstrate audio responses from several desired targets we would like to find. You would also hear the shocked replies when I demonstrate finding good targets in bad conditions.

I like some Tone ID circuitry, and I use Tone ID when I feel it works reasonably well for the area and can be to my benefit for some casual coin hunting, but seldom for working some older sites with ample ferrous junk.

"I like a light-weight detector so I can cover the ground in a hurry." ... A detector's weight is not what allows a fast sweep of an area, but a combination of the ground mineral conditions as well as the detector's circuitry design. Additionally, we also have to consider the size and type of search coil used, and the amount and density of targets (accepted and rejected) at any hunt site. More often than not, a quick-sweep coverage of most sites is not going to be highly efficient an rewarding.

"I like or need a bigger search coil so I can get better depth."... Depth, depth, depth. I have heard that since I built my first detector back in March of '65 when I asked myself about getting more depth, and, to this day, I always get asked "How deep will it go?" My answer? Deep enough.

Back in the latter '60s and through the '70s, many detectors came with a 5" to 7" coil standard. Some did have an 11" coil, but the 'standard' was often smaller-sized, although many manufacturers settled on a coil of about 8" in diameter during this period.

Through the latter '70s and until the late '80s, many detectors came with a 7" to 8" coil as standard, and a slightly larger accessory coil was optional, in the 10" to 12" size range. Some larger coils, 14", 15" and16", were sold. but promoted mainly for cache hunting or serious relic hunters looking for bigger and/or deeper and bigger targets.

About '88 we saw a new trend to shift from an 8" size to something a little larger. White's went to their 950 coil, and later on Tesoro to an 8X9, Minelab used a 10

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells

Just a name that brings back fond memories of old alkali desert favorite sites in Utah, Nevada, and Eastern Oregon. There is no pastime I enjoy more than hunting old sites as best I can, doing research, and helping others learn more about this great hobby.:

My 'Tag-Along' buddies (with coils listed in order of preferred use):
White's MXT All-Pro (w/9" and 6½" and 12" Concentrics)
White's MX5 (w/6½" and 9" Concentrics)
White's Classic ID (w/4½" and 6½" Concentrics)
Tesoro Bandido II µMAX (w/7" Concentric)
Compass Coin Hustler (w/6" Double-D)

monte@stinkwaterwells.com
(503) 481-8147

Re: whites MX5 - coinmaster GT
Posted by: Tom Slick
Date: September 28, 2013 10:58AM
Monte,
Excellent post! Think I'll turn loose of one of my M6's and pick up the MX5 and give it a try.

Arizona
39 years detecting, ex White's dealer.
Current Detectors:
White's Spectra V3i
White's M6 x 2
White's TDI SL
White's GMT
White's Classic III SL
White's IDX Pro w/ Mr. Bill Mods
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Fisher F19
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Minelab Sovereign GT

Posted by: yowow#1
Date: September 28, 2013 11:18AM
Monte,
Thank you for that post, very informative.

Posted by: padgett79
Date: September 28, 2013 03:26PM
Well written Monte, this should make it very clear for everyone.

is there such a thing as too bad a day for detecting?????? I think not
Whites; XLT,VX3,V3i and now a Beach Hunter id 300

Posted by: bik-il
Date: September 28, 2013 05:05PM
looks interesting.
Am I reading correctly that the MX5 has fixed ground balance compared to the adjustable GB on the M6?
Ive been considering getting an M6, and now theres another choice.
Wondering what to do, and whether the fixed GB on the MX5 is an issue, comparatively speaking.
thanks

Posted by: dirtmaster
Date: September 28, 2013 07:13PM
No its got automatic ground balancing just as in the M6. Makes me wonder whether to cut loose of my M6 to spring for the MX5 too!! Wow thanks Whites lol

Proud owner of Whites MXT Pro and Whites MX5, Lesche Digger, Whites Star Pro Headphones and White's TRX pinpointer.
Coils: Standard 950 Concentric,10 inch D2, 6x10 DD, 4x6 DD, 5.3 Concentric.

Date: September 28, 2013 08:02PM
Ah. Gotcha. Thanks Dirtmaster.

Im definitely intrigued.

MX5 or M6? Im thinking. . .

I DO like the knobs on the M6.
I DO like the price of the MX5.
There only seems to be a couple ounce difference in weight so Im leaning towards the metal cased M6.
Mind you, this isn't a NEED issue, as I have other detectors of other brands, and this would be my first Whites, because I just WANT one.
Thanks Monte for your post, by the way. I cant say it made the decision any easier for me though! LOL. Explained things great though.
Still deciding. . .

Date: September 28, 2013 09:52PM
Well I can tell you with my experience with the M6, it is a great detector. I got the 950 coil, the D2 coil, the 5.3 and the 4x6 coil so I am all set for either detector. The only reason I would switch would probably be because its the new kid on the block and that is probably asinine. So I will probably hold on to the M6 as it is a great detector and I see no need to really change. The M6 does feel solid in the metal case and is built like a tank. The knobs do have an edge over the pushbutton notching in my opinion so good luck with your choice. Either one would be a great choice

Proud owner of Whites MXT Pro and Whites MX5, Lesche Digger, Whites Star Pro Headphones and White's TRX pinpointer.

Date: September 28, 2013 10:03PM
One more thought.....I need to stick with my golden rule, when you find a detector you really like, stick with it and master it and you will be the king of the fields with it.

Date: September 28, 2013 10:39PM
Great advice! Thank you DM!

Im in no rush so ill probably wait until my dealer has the MX5 in stock and try both machine out. I mentioned I'm partial to knobs and the metal case, (two things that attracted me to Whites in the first place) so absent any major gains in performance I'm leaning towards the M6.

Thanks again. I'll keep you posted.

Bik

bik-il, this is for you.
Date: September 29, 2013 07:16AM
bik-il
looks interesting.
Many new detectors hit the market and can "look interesting," but when I get a hold of one to evaluate it I am sometimes satisfied, sometimes saddened, and sometimes I just plain wonder what the heck were they thinking. Then there are the other times when I am more than just 'satisfied,' and the MX5 is one of them.

bik-il
looks Am I reading correctly that the MX5 has fixed ground balance compared to the adjustable GB on the M6?
Not preset, just the same type of very quick automated Ground Balance with Auto-Trac

Stinkwater Wells

Just a name that brings back fond memories of old alkali desert favorite sites in Utah, Nevada, and Eastern Oregon. There is no pastime I enjoy more than hunting old sites as best I can, doing research, and helping others learn more about this great hobby.:

(503) 481-8147

Date: September 29, 2013 11:50AM
Cheers Monte!

Thanks much. I appreciate your help.
the backlight and two-tone option on the new model sure look nice.
Am I understanding you correctly that the M6 is one OR seven tone optioned? I hunt frequently in two -tone with my other brands of detectors so I am curious.
thanks again

Date: September 29, 2013 01:21PM
Yes you can hunt in one tone or 7 tones on the M6. Trigger forward allows 7 tones. The cool thing I have found is discrimination also works on the 7 tone mode.

Backlights, Tones, and other stuff.
Date: October 01, 2013 09:51AM
The first two are handy and useful at times, but a lot of the other stuff we see added to various makes and models in the industry and can be interesting, but not always very functional. By functional I don't mean whether the feature works or not, but whether it is really a valuable or practical asset to the cause of looking and finding.

A Backlight feature is pretty simple to figure out an apply its useful function. Can't see the display? Turn on the light!

Tone ID, on the other hand calls for more time in use to really learn how well it works, and when to and when not-to use the multi-tone function. All too often the less experienced hobbyists think of it more as a magic potion or something and believe it works .... perfectly .... and also works well .... all the time .... and it might take a long time before reality really hits them. Tone ID can sometimes be useful, but it can also be detrimental, be fooled by odd objects, mixed alloys, crazy target positions, and less accurate on mid-depth to deeper targets.

As dirtmaster mentioned in a response to your post, yes, the M6 has both a single tone response (with the trigger-toggle in the center position) or a 7-Tone audio ID (accessed by flipping the trigger-toggle forward).
They incorporated the same 7-Tone ID on the MXT Pro in the Coin &Jewelry program, as well, and with both the MXT Pro and M6, it is a personal choice to use, or not use, the Tone ID feature. I only use Tone ID on limited occasions, mainly when just coin hunting in newer-use areas with a lower level of trash.

I very, very seldom use Tone ID in any older site or a densely littered place, with the exception of sometimes using a 2-Tone option to just identify low-tone ferrous targets and high-ton non-ferrous targets. Even that's not perfect, but it can be functional at times. I have visual TID on all my current use detectors, but I don't always look a the display, especially when hunting older sites. I just rely on the audio response and most often it is a single-tone audio I am hearing. A single tone and any subtle information I might also hear in the audio.

It definitely can be a very individual or personal set of features we each look for in a detector.

Monte

Stinkwater Wells

(503) 481-8147

Posted by: Rob in (Ca)
Date: October 20, 2013 05:58PM
Is the mx 5 a silent search or threshold detector ?

Long Beach ca,

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login