Findmall.com

White's Main Detecting Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
5.3 eclipse vs 6x10 DD eclipse
Posted by: oldandtired
Date: October 27, 2016 01:43AM
In mild ground which coil would you prefer ? I always liked concentric coils, but already have a 6x10 DD, and was considering selling it and getting the 5.3, Wanting decent depth, separation, and most accurate pinpointing. In moderate trashy areas.

Thanks for all input, James

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/27/2016 01:44AM by oldandtired.

Re: 5.3 eclipse vs 6x10 DD eclipse
Posted by: Mega
Date: October 27, 2016 04:08AM
How has the 10x6 coil performed over the time that you have had it ?? have you been happy using it and have you found items on a regular basis ?? if the answer is yes then i guess i would stay with some think that works.As the old saying goes 'if it ain't broke dont fix it'.

I have both coils and have had them a very long time,if i would choose one out the 2 it would be the 10x6 as a general all round replacement coil for the stock coil and it does a very good job,the 5.3 in my mind is more for specific site uses like trashy park environments,in my case getting in between stubble when the crops come off,the 5.3 is also good at what it was designed for but in my mind not a general all coil as the 10x6.

Deus and Nexus MP main everyday detectors

Displays on a Detector are really the equivalent of relying on sub-titles,give me a Analogue machine anyday.

Site specific use machines.
TDI Pro 20'' Mono
Nexus SE dual 9'' coil
Fisher TW-5 twin box
Crossbow PI Coiltek 14x9 Mono
Mirage PI 5'' Mono
DFX 18'' Detech
T2 SEF15x12
IDX Pro 15'' Concentric
Arado120b
B1 and B3
Trident11 Extreme NEL Snake

Mainly hunt deep ploughed and pasture sites,trashy roman/saxon and celtic permissions.

Posted by: vito
Date: October 27, 2016 05:47AM
The following is just MY opinion for using the 6x10 DD eclipse with the MXT and DFX
Other detectorist opinions may be different.

To me the 6x10 Eclipse has, depending on the footprint, very good ground coverage AND superb target separation.

And this is for most ground conditions. Pinpointing is dead on in both ways;
center pointing like doing with a concentric or tip pointing.

If target separation is not that accurate, I try it from an different sweeping angle and/or reducing the gain.
Liftiing the loop helps, too.

To me THIS is the coil of choice for the White's detectors I use.

Posted by: GA1dad
Date: October 27, 2016 08:10AM
I have the 5.3 and love it for trashy sites. It seems like all you have to do is get it reasonably close to good targets and it reaches out and grabs them. That said, the 6x10 is on my want list as a general use coil. I don't know that I would sell the 6x10 to do it, but I think you would find the 5.3 a great addition to your toolbox.

Posted by: Wayfarer
Date: October 27, 2016 08:28AM
The 6x10 covers a lot more ground, but the 5.3 separates better. Also, the 5.3 is just as deep as the 6x10. For general purpose or jewelry hunting, I'd say the 6x10 is the better coil. For heavy trash, the 5.3 is better. I have mild ground and both coils work well for me.

Current detectors: White's V3i, MXT, XL Pro, Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Past: White's XLT, 6000D Series 3, Coinmaster 2DB, Minelab CTX 3030

Posted by: slingshot
Date: October 27, 2016 11:20AM
Slightly off topic- I'm considering the 4x6 shooter coil. Any thoughts on this coil appreciated.

Posted by: airscapes
Date: October 27, 2016 01:55PM
It is for small areas with lots of trash, it will only cover a small area with each swing. When you need it like in a nail infested front yard of a 200 year old home, or cellar hole, it works very very well.

Doug White's DFX, 950,U13, 6x10 & 4x6 coils | CoinMaster GT, 4x6 Shooter Coil, NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer and DIY Wireless FM Transmitter and Etymotic Research ER-6i in-ear phones

thanks for all the help folks
Posted by: oldandtired
Date: October 27, 2016 10:35PM
Bunch of great people on this forum. Really appreciate the input.

I'm still leaning toward the 5.3 eclipse, maybe trade the 6x10 DD for it? I have a eclipse 950 for coverage that I like.

Thanks all ............James

Posted by: hivoltfl
Date: February 03, 2017 12:00PM
Very informative thread, thank you posters.

Posted by: JJdigs
Date: February 03, 2017 01:50PM
The 8x6 Sef coil worked best for me around trashy colonial sites with very impressive depth in mild ground !

Posted by: KindManTall
Date: February 03, 2017 03:44PM
I use the 6x10 on the VX3 works great .. I tried the SEF 6x8 but it seems to sorta null on the high frequency ... The 5,3 sure helps with the very trashy areas

White's = MXT Pro ~ DFX 300 ~ VX3
Garrett = AT Pro ~ AT Gold

Posted by: BarberBill
Date: February 05, 2017 10:30PM
I have the 4X6, 5.3, 6X10DD, and the 950 stock. I find the 6X10 has become my most used all around coil. The 5.3 is quite good in trashy areas and the 4X6 is surgical in trash. IMHO I'd trade the 9.5 for a 5.3 and keep the 6X10. Just my two bits.
BB

North Idaho - A bunch of Tesoros, 3 Whites, Gray Ghosts, Sunray probe
If you don't dig it, you'll never know!

Posted by: IDXMonster
Date: February 06, 2017 08:00PM
vito
The following is just MY opinion for using the 6x10 DD eclipse with the MXT and DFX
Other detectorist opinions may be different.

To me the 6x10 Eclipse has, depending on the footprint, very good ground coverage AND superb target separation.

And this is for most ground conditions. Pinpointing is dead on in both ways;
center pointing like doing with a concentric or tip pointing.

If target separation is not that accurate, I try it from an different sweeping angle and/or reducing the gain.
Liftiing the loop helps, too.

To me THIS is the coil of choice for the White's detectors I use.

Sounds like you're ready to unload that 14" Deeptech then Vito? I'm ALL ears...:lol: Seriously,I'm all ears.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login