Findmall.com

White's Main Detecting Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
MX 5 THRESHOLD VOLUME INCREASE
Posted by: Bill ( So. Ca.)
Date: November 04, 2016 02:51PM
I recently purchased an MX 5 and when operating it (with headphones) I've noticed that after about 1 hour of detecting the threshold volume will start to increase. It went from an initial setting of 13, and as the sound amplitude increased I had to adjust it down to 1. Has anyone else had this issue? Thanks, Bill

Re: MX 5 THRESHOLD VOLUME INCREASE
Posted by: RLOH
Date: November 04, 2016 03:03PM
Bill, I have had two MX5's with the same issue. I never found it to hinder the performance of this fine detector. I just re-adjusted the threshold and kept on trucking. I called Whites several times and never got an answer to satisfy me. Send it in and we will look at it is what I was told.

Posted by: Hombre
Date: November 04, 2016 03:25PM
There have been recent posts about this issue and also another one involving a change in tones...and these MX5 were new in the box (new old stock) sold by a dealer.
I'm computer illiterate and don't have a link to prove it. The change in tones is a well known issue and it involves sending back to factory for a minor fix by removing 1 resistor.

" If in doubt, dig it out"

I use various analog detectors, knobs and switches rule.

Randy from south central Kansas

Posted by: taterbill
Date: November 04, 2016 08:43PM
These are two different issues! I've had the same issue of threshold getting louder as mx5 gets warmer...had it this summer. On a warm day... about 85 deg...the outside of detector will get much warmer when exposed to the sun. As control box gets warmer, you have to keep turning threshold down to keep sound at a low level, which is where most people like to hunt. On a real hot day.....90 deg, & control unit in the sun, threshold sound gets so loud that you can't turn It down any further...no adjustment left. I remove coil, rod, & batteries, and place control box in a refrigerator for 5 minutes....or cool place to allow the box to cool down. Put it back together and it works great! I've repeated this process many times.
I talked with Whites, & sent it in three times...they couldn't

duplicate the problem. They replaced circuit board....didn't fix it.
To their credit, they sent me a new-in-box replacement. It does
the same thing, though I think it's a little less sensitive than my original. I really like the mx5, but I personally think its a design problem. This same problem has been described in another forum, but a fix was never described. If anyone has the problem of mx5 threshold getting too loud on a hot day....try cooling off the control box. Let me know if it works. I was thinking I was the only one having this problem.
Taterbill

Date: November 05, 2016 05:20AM
More info.... after cooling off control box, then re-assymbling, unit works great. However, after taking unit back out into hot sun, & warms up, problem returns. There's something in the control box that doesn't like the heat....maybe a weak component. This problem is only noticeable when using ear phones.
Taterbill

Posted by: Bill ( So. Ca.)
Date: November 05, 2016 02:26PM
Hi Tater, I've come to the same conclusion you have that the problem is thermal. When the detector gets hot in the sun it starts a thermal runaway condition. Whites engineers should be able to correct this issue with a component change or circuit redesign. I sent whites a message regarding this problem, lets see what their response is. Thanks for your input. Bill

Posted by: Hunt4Fun
Date: November 09, 2016 01:23AM
Hi Bill, wishing you good luck finding the solution to the threshold problem.

We cannot dwell on our problems while concentrating on detecting.
Simi Valley, CA *** MXT, XL Pro, Modified IDX Pro, V3i & MXT Pro
Member of Gold Coast Treasure Hunters

Posted by: amberjack
Date: November 09, 2016 07:54AM
:buds: its an mx5 what else is there to say.

AJ

Date: February 13, 2017 01:54PM
"Bill (So Cal)"...did u ever find out , from Whites, anymore info on the mx5 threshold thermo problem?
taterbill. You can email answer if u wish..

Land Ranger Pro
Whites MXT All Pro
Whites mx5
Fisher F75 85th Anniv Edition
sold....Titan 3000XD (Discovery 3300)
HarborFreight 9 function,
Teknetics Gamma, Omega 8500,
Whites MXT, Whites SST

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login