Findmall.com

White's Main Detecting Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Re: Is now the time to purchase an MX-Sport ?
Posted by: El
Date: November 22, 2016 02:22PM
tboykin
hairymonsterman
maybe the firmwares not as solid as Tom@White's suggests?

"The engineers and repair techs here are betting it's a coil issue. The way DD coils work, it could be that the two windings moved out of alignment during shipping. That would explain the null spot as the two fields would cross over in a weird way."

That's worry some to me if that is the case. The coil in the field will see much more stress than during shipment and how would you know if it indeed move while in the field or for that matter during shipment unless you do the test that were done to find this problem.

Posted by: tboykin
Date: November 22, 2016 04:37PM
We will know more when we get the unit here at the factory and do a post-op.

One of the benefits to being on some of the forums is getting a jump on issues like this. I will take the licking on Dankowski if it means making the machines better. But I do appreciate the friendlier tone here in findmall!

T

Social Media Guy @ White's

Posted by: HanoverDigger
Date: November 22, 2016 06:17PM
tboykin
We will know more when we get the unit here at the factory and do a post-op.

One of the benefits to being on some of the forums is getting a jump on issues like this. I will take the licking on Dankowski if it means making the machines better. But I do appreciate the friendlier tone here in findmall!

T
I have to agree with you on Findmall having a friendlier tone. Seems a few, and I do mean a few, of the guys over there have an axe to grind. Whites will definitly take care of the issues on the MXS. They fixed mine and got it back to me in less than 2 weeks and that was from the East Coast to the West Coast...and back! Easy fix I guess...took longer traveling! It works as it should. I found an old overall button that was 9'' deep after removing 3'' of cover before digging. So depth looks to be good with the stock coil. No complaints.

T2SE* Nautilus 2b w/ GG DMC headphones * VX3* Lesche Piranah* Garrett propointer* The "bomb" sheath w/Lesche digger* Deteknix W6 pro headphones* Oldest coin 1776 2 Reale

Posted by: slingshot
Date: November 26, 2016 07:42AM
I'm just glad to know there's communication from the factory. We could be in the dark and wondering- as in another case I know.

Posted by: Des D
Date: November 27, 2016 07:50AM
Quote:"The engineers and repair techs here are betting it's a coil issue"

I'd bet on that being the likely issue as well? They're not the prettiest of coils. The coil I was sent was over poured on one side, lack of fill pour on the other, and the 'heel' of the coil looking like it was poured three or more times?

Posted by: basstrackerman
Date: November 27, 2016 08:45AM
Wow that looks like crap! quality workmanship was obviously not high on the list.

I retired from ohio department of corrections in 2008. Been a foster parent 20 years. Adopted 2 teen boys in 2013 ;) been swinging a detector since 1978 at age 11.. Ive used many different detectors and brands.. I use what works .. I wont stop til my heart does! Bill

Date: November 28, 2016 10:32AM
Des D
Quote:"The engineers and repair techs here are betting it's a coil issue"

I'd bet on that being the likely issue as well? They're not the prettiest of coils. The coil I was sent was over poured on one side, lack of fill pour on the other, and the 'heel' of the coil looking like it was poured three or more times?

Thank you for the pictures Des, they are extremely helpful in ID'ing QC issues. I will send them to the loop room supervisor, head of production, and mechanical engineer to see what they say.

Posted by: ChuckVT
Date: December 22, 2016 03:40PM
Thank you for the information, Tom. I have a new MX Sport on the way! I started this hobby back in 1968 and just love White's machines. Believe me, I have used ALL makes and almost all models out there. and liked so many of them, but I always come home to Sweet Home! My first "real" discriminating detector was a White's Coinmaster 4Db, and that got me off and running!

Date: January 04, 2017 01:13PM
Chuck, good to hear. MX Sport is gaining some momentum now, thankfully!

Posted by: WaterHound
Date: January 15, 2017 10:20AM
Well I'M not impressed! with my new MX sport. No wonder loyal Whites customers are discouraged. This is my review! I am supposed to have the updated unit , so after many test runs in fresh water on most programs get ready to dig every thing..on all metal relic and prospecting small wire,,, bobby pins and all bottle caps, trust me I've read every forums pros and cons about this machine ,when someone said you can,t really Hunt by sound that's true ,! You have to keep checking the bouncing numbers on the target ID. I dont want to dig to China, l found more gold with my at pro than my mine lab friends this year by covering the bottom of the shore line consistently. This machine is a step back in technology ,, should have just saved for a mine lab, l made the mistake of watching whites movies and promo u tubs and trusting the stores that sell them . this machine is a mxt in a water proof bag ! My handle creeks like a saddle and people are sending the unit in for a second time, somones right they should have not used faithful buyers as testers. This @#$%& me off l worked my ass off to buy a better than at pro detector and get this , also pinpoint mode can hardly here it unless your on top of the target with full volume turned up, l sold an mxt because of things, and fell for it again ,that's my fault! And to return it theirs a 20 percent or more loss , thanks alot whites and the places that sell them,and don't,t tell me theirs alearning curve that's bull @#$%& ,all l wanted to do is dig pull tabs and change ,not all metal! All the time!

Posted by: WaterHound
Date: January 15, 2017 07:17PM
Please forgive me for such a nasty post , the MX sport I have could still be used for sand bars or out in the water farther or property markers and of course gold prospecting . lm sure many hunters are very happy with this machine ,and l can still use it for a back up detector. I'd be afraid to buy different coils now . wish their was a detector shop around here that had demos or even rentals of new models then a guy could at least try before they buy. Only in a perfect world ! Sorry again , not happy but I will live , to waste money again.

Posted by: JEF
Date: January 15, 2017 08:36PM
As far as the creeking noise, it is probably the upper rod where it locks into the camlock . Mine did the same thing, and after investigating, the upper rod was a little loose fitting. I put a little strip of black electrical tape on each side of the upper rod where it goes into the camlock, so it fits a little tighter, and no more creeking.

Corvallis, OR
Club: Beaver State Coinshooters

Current detectors:
Nokta Impact
Tesoro Bandido II Umax
Tesoro Outlaw
Tesoro High Tone Vaquero
Tesoro Mojave
Whites MX5
Whites MXT Pro
Tesoro Sand Shark
Whites Beach Hunter ID 300

Posted by: Old California
Date: January 16, 2017 01:21AM
Believe this is my forth MX Sport, each with different firmware. Recently, Received the latest, haven't spent too much time with it but what little time I've spend with the new sport I like it.

See some improvements, little more stability in mineralzion using prospecting or all metal mode. Can run SAT speed at lower settings with all metal modes, this is good as it enhances depth out in open areas. I'm more of an all metal relic hunter out in open areas away from iron, with the MXSport, all metal or prospecting mode has a depth edge over relic or any of the other modes.

Relic mode is my mode of choice for areas laced with iron, MXSport can hold it's own under these conditions. With relic mode, Use excessive SAT without loss of depth. But with all metal or prospecting mode, Excessive SAT will decrease depth but in heavy mineralztion if you need it use it for stability.

Recommend not using headsets with soft audio, stock headset are good maybe even the waterproof set and i plan on ordering one tomorrow. I found this out on a recent hunt after receiving my latest MXSport, was using a single cup headset and with a recent lose of hearing i wasn't hearing signals very well. As a result, was passing up weak signals masked by iron.

After going back to the stock two cup headset, signals opened up again now i was hearing those iron masked signals. Highly recommend using good headsets with the MXSport for those with poor hearing, stock headsets are good if your favorite headset audio are too soft.

I wouldn't worry about poor ocean ocean water performance, single frequently vlf don't fare well under these conditions. Inland mineralztion or fresh water black sand is what a user needs to be concerned with, that's were the MXSport does well for my type of hunting.

Paul

AKA..Paul (Ca)

Whites GoldMaster BFO
Compass Klodike BFO
Bountyhunter BFO
FisherScope TR
Metrotech TR
Detectron TR
Rayscope TR
Mity Mite TR
Garrett BFO
D-Tex BFO
Goldak TR
Relco BFO
Jecto BFO
Teknetics
Roach TR

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/16/2017 01:25AM by Old California.

Posted by: davidtn
Date: January 16, 2017 08:56AM
Good info to read as I will be purchasing my MX Sport today. Can't wait to get out and enjoy the day with it!

Posted by: El
Date: January 16, 2017 12:41PM
Hi Paul,

Were you able to make it to "Y" Road?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login