Findmall.com

White's Main Detecting Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Re: Does anyone remember the Eagle 2 sl '90 ?
Posted by: HaloEffect426
Date: December 20, 2016 07:18PM
Thats great you just acquired. An sl 90. I know it is a real performer...ever for its age...maybe i will get lucky and stumble across a good used one...the first one i had was brand new from the factory.. And like i said, it was awesome... ! Im thinking positive as to grabbing up another one. Just for the heck of it! HH.
:^)

Detecting since 1974 !
Detectors owned = D-Tex, Tiny Tex (BFO) Whites 1db. 6db. 6000Di. Teknetics 8500b. Mini Red Baron
(Bounty Hunter) Whites Eagle two sl '90. Spectrum.
Garrett AT Pro.

Posted by: Rich (Utah)
Date: December 21, 2016 11:05PM
Southwind
I was just the opposite. Didn't care much for the sl 90 but the Eagle Spectrum and I clicked and went to coin city.

In fact it was the Eagle Spectrum that opened our city park to a whole new world of coins.

Up until 1991 there were three of us who had hunted the city park with every detector we got and never found as much as a few recent drop wheats. In 1991 I bought a new Eagle Spectrum, my buddy had a Grand Master Hunter and the other a Tesoro Toltec 100. As common practice we took all new detectors to this city park for the first hunt. Since we had never found anothing we just assumed this park had been hunted clean or there was just nothing there. A park established in 1883 and we thought there just might not be anything there LOL. We all got out of the truck and fired up the detectors. My first swing gave me a nice clean tone and read a 83 at 6 /12". As normal I had my buddy's check the signal with their machines. The Grand Master got nothing and the Totec made a snip but nothing worthy of further investigation.

I just about walked on but the tone was just too clean and loud and I figured with a new detector I wanted to know what it was. All our jaws dropped as out of this one single hole I pulled 3 wheats, 3 silver dimes, 2 mercs and one barber, and a 1944 silver war nickel. I could walk two steps and the same thing would happen. Over and over I pulled multiple old coins from single holes. There were so many coins that they were piled on top layer after layer year after year. Just around the band shell I pulled over 2000 old coins. And we thought this place had been hunted out. What we did come to realize was that this 1883 park sit along side the Arkansas River which used to flood on average ever 30-40 years. Each flood had deposited mud in the park burying the coins to extreme depths. There are still areas we cannot reach yet because we have hit the limitation of current detector technology. There are coins at least 24" deep in some areas.

Anyway, it was the Eagle Spectrum that started me on the quest for the best. After a simply amazing 5 years the park slowly stopped giving up the good to my Eagle Spectrum. I thought I just needed to find a deeper machine because I know the coins are there. Tried many and nothing brought that park back to life until I got a DFX. After two year it was the E-Trac that brought the park back to life. Now for the last 3-4 years it has just been a few oldies from location I had missed before. Now I sit back and wait for the next leap in technology. I try a few that might look and sound promising, but I have yet to find that next detector.

Funny how we move along to 'newer, better' detectors over the years. I had an original eagle. Loved it. I've mentioned before that I used it in conjunction with a jimmy sierra six-shooter stacked coil. Great combo for yards and parking strips.

We have a old local park that I wander to on occasion. Always seems to have a little something to give up with each visit, even with older detectors.

I'm looking forward to seeing what this coming year has for us along the lines of 'new'.

Rich (Utah)

enjoying the vistas and horizons of the Old West.

Posted by: Digging Fool
Date: January 25, 2017 10:26AM
A friend of mine had one, and he out-hunted me with it almost every time. He did well with his at salt beaches and claims that no other "vintage" machine did as well in salt-affected sand than it did. It was a good relic machine, also.

Posted by: Southwind
Date: January 25, 2017 11:25AM
Rich (Utah)
Southwind
I was just the opposite. Didn't care much for the sl 90 but the Eagle Spectrum and I clicked and went to coin city.

In fact it was the Eagle Spectrum that opened our city park to a whole new world of coins.

Up until 1991 there were three of us who had hunted the city park with every detector we got and never found as much as a few recent drop wheats. In 1991 I bought a new Eagle Spectrum, my buddy had a Grand Master Hunter and the other a Tesoro Toltec 100. As common practice we took all new detectors to this city park for the first hunt. Since we had never found anothing we just assumed this park had been hunted clean or there was just nothing there. A park established in 1883 and we thought there just might not be anything there LOL. We all got out of the truck and fired up the detectors. My first swing gave me a nice clean tone and read a 83 at 6 /12". As normal I had my buddy's check the signal with their machines. The Grand Master got nothing and the Totec made a snip but nothing worthy of further investigation.

I just about walked on but the tone was just too clean and loud and I figured with a new detector I wanted to know what it was. All our jaws dropped as out of this one single hole I pulled 3 wheats, 3 silver dimes, 2 mercs and one barber, and a 1944 silver war nickel. I could walk two steps and the same thing would happen. Over and over I pulled multiple old coins from single holes. There were so many coins that they were piled on top layer after layer year after year. Just around the band shell I pulled over 2000 old coins. And we thought this place had been hunted out. What we did come to realize was that this 1883 park sit along side the Arkansas River which used to flood on average ever 30-40 years. Each flood had deposited mud in the park burying the coins to extreme depths. There are still areas we cannot reach yet because we have hit the limitation of current detector technology. There are coins at least 24" deep in some areas.

Anyway, it was the Eagle Spectrum that started me on the quest for the best. After a simply amazing 5 years the park slowly stopped giving up the good to my Eagle Spectrum. I thought I just needed to find a deeper machine because I know the coins are there. Tried many and nothing brought that park back to life until I got a DFX. After two year it was the E-Trac that brought the park back to life. Now for the last 3-4 years it has just been a few oldies from location I had missed before. Now I sit back and wait for the next leap in technology. I try a few that might look and sound promising, but I have yet to find that next detector.

Funny how we move along to 'newer, better' detectors over the years. I had an original eagle. Loved it. I've mentioned before that I used it in conjunction with a jimmy sierra six-shooter stacked coil. Great combo for yards and parking strips.

We have a old local park that I wander to on occasion. Always seems to have a little something to give up with each visit, even with older detectors.

I'm looking forward to seeing what this coming year has for us along the lines of 'new'.

Rich (Utah)

Yeah Rich, I've always had a special liking of Whites detectors due to the Eagle Spectrum. It not only opened a whole new aspect of detecting for me but was my only machines for many years. I would love to see Whites introduce a new top of the line game changer. Not that their V series isn't good, but I just didn't hit it off as well as I did the Eagle and the DFX. I still keep my DFX as my backup and fun machine. I still fill it has one of the best and accurate target ID system on the market. Not a deep hitter like the E-Trac or Deus, but more precise target ID. And sometimes great target ID trumps depth.

The real treasure is in the hunt...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login