Findmall.com

White's Main Detecting Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Re: IDX Pro any value now adays?
Posted by: lytle78
Date: February 15, 2017 10:07AM
One thing about non-Whites coils on the IDX - the ground balance may be way off and need adjusting - either via a knob as on modded detectors or adjusting the GB trimmer on the circuit board via the hole hudden under the USA sticker.

Rick Kempf

Posted by: Mega
Date: February 24, 2017 01:00PM
Taking my IDX Pro out on sunday on a saxon site,never been on this site before but will use the 950 coil and detect at a slow methodical pace,this detector although a old design compared with all the latest machines coming onto the market,but it still finds the goodies for sure,not allowed onto the field beside this one as it was a very early iron age and saxon settlement which is protected.But some very early Saxon 'sceats' have been found which are always nice silver hammered coins too find.

What better than just going back to basic's with a simple switch on a go detector that fills your finds bag with some nice items and not having to worry about have i got the right settings.

Deus and Nexus MP main everyday detectors

Displays on a Detector are really the equivalent of relying on sub-titles,give me a Analogue machine anyday.

Some of my site specific use machines.
TDI Pro 20'' Mono
Nexus SE dual 9'' coil
Nexus MP 14x13
Fisher TW-5 twin box
Crossbow PI 14x9 Mono
Mirage PI 5'' Mono
DFX 18'' Detech
T2 SEF15x12
IDX Pro 15'' Concentric
Arado120b
B1 and B3
Trident11 Extreme NEL Snake

Mainly hunt deep ploughed and pasture sites,trashy roman/saxon and celtic permissions.

Posted by: Hombre
Date: February 24, 2017 04:00PM
Mega

What better than just going back to basic's with a simple switch on a go detector that fills your finds bag with some nice items and not having to worry about have i got the right settings.

The IDX Pro is a simple machine, basicly a 'turn on and go' if used with the same coil and after it is ground balanced. I set mine up whilst in all metal with a very slight positive rise in threshold when pumping coil down to a clean patch of ground.

" If in doubt, dig it out"

I use various analog detectors, knobs and switches rule.

Randy from south central Kansas

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/24/2017 04:01PM by Hombre.

Posted by: Mega
Date: February 25, 2017 01:43AM
@ Hombre,sometimes its very nice and use some of these 'classic' switch on and go machines that still can keep up with alot of the modern day detectors,will be using the 950 coil and the RNB battery pack out of my DFX when using this battery pack it just keeps going for ever with just the one charge,just fire the detector up and basically away you go it does not get much better than that,and the depth with the 950 coil is pretty reasonable as well.And a constant flow of nice finds between when you switched it on until you switch it off again,

If i am honest in the last 12 months i have use the IDX Pro far more than my DFX.

Deus and Nexus MP main everyday detectors

Displays on a Detector are really the equivalent of relying on sub-titles,give me a Analogue machine anyday.

Some of my site specific use machines.
TDI Pro 20'' Mono
Nexus SE dual 9'' coil
Nexus MP 14x13
Fisher TW-5 twin box
Crossbow PI 14x9 Mono
Mirage PI 5'' Mono
DFX 18'' Detech
T2 SEF15x12
IDX Pro 15'' Concentric
Arado120b
B1 and B3
Trident11 Extreme NEL Snake

Mainly hunt deep ploughed and pasture sites,trashy roman/saxon and celtic permissions.

Posted by: IDXMonster
Date: February 25, 2017 09:22AM
If I think back to my progression in metal detecting,I believe the most valuable thing about the IDXPro,since it was my first machine,is that it is simple enough for the beginner to use and understand,while still being capable of finding coins at good depth. It still took me 3 years to get really good with it,but it wasn't so difficult to learn that I hung it up and went on to some other hobby. If I had started with an Explorer or VX or some other more complicated machine the results may have been very different. I owe ALOT of enjoyment and comraderie to the IDXPro,and it continues even to now. A simple,capable machine with plenty of intelligent help from forum members has made for a great hobby,one I wouldn't trade for anything.

Posted by: Elton
Date: February 25, 2017 10:31AM
IDXMonster
If I think back to my progression in metal detecting,I believe the most valuable thing about the IDXPro,since it was my first machine,is that it is simple enough for the beginner to use and understand,while still being capable of finding coins at good depth. It still took me 3 years to get really good with it,but it wasn't so difficult to learn that I hung it up and went on to some other hobby. If I had started with an Explorer or VX or some other more complicated machine the results may have been very different. I owe ALOT of enjoyment and comraderie to the IDXPro,and it continues even to now. A simple,capable machine with plenty of intelligent help from forum members has made for a great hobby,one I wouldn't trade for anything.

What a nice post !

Supporter Of Findmall Sponsors
Proud to be a findmall Moderator !

Posted by: Wayfarer
Date: February 25, 2017 02:34PM
Elton
IDXMonster

What a nice post !

Totally agree. The IDX has a great easy-to-use vs performance ratio. There are machines that will get slightly better performance but at the cost of MUCH more difficulty. The IDX is special too because it can get that depth at a slow sweep, letting beginners have to time to process what they are hearing (and experts sneak in between the trash!). I still regret selling mine and am on the lookout for a nice one to buy and keep forever.

Current detectors: White's V3i, MXT, XL Pro
Past: White's XLT, 6000D Series 3, Coinmaster 2DB, Minelab CTX 3030, Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Detecting since 1980

Posted by: Seakin
Date: April 04, 2017 06:58PM
Another IDX Pro fan here.
I bought mine very gently used and was astounded by its performance. It came stock, black max loop and no mods... in NW Virginia red iron soil it hits dimes at ten inches consistantly.
At VA. BEACH in wet/dry sand it hit rings, quarters and crushed cans at two feet. Saturated sand and salt water, overwhelmed it but that's why I took the trusty 4900/D Pro Plus.
The IDX Pro is a freak...it way out does any projection stats I've come across. I'll never get rid of this machine.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Seakin
Virginia Mountains

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/04/2017 07:04PM by Seakin.

Posted by: Hombre
Date: April 04, 2017 08:05PM
Seakin
Another IDX Pro fan here.
I bought mine very gently used and was astounded by its performance. It came stock, black max loop and no mods... in NW Virginia red iron soil it hits dimes at ten inches consistantly.
At VA. BEACH in wet/dry sand it hit rings, quarters and crushed cans at two feet. Saturated sand and salt water, overwhelmed it but that's why I took the trusty 4900/D Pro Plus.
The IDX Pro is a freak...it way out does any projection stats I've come across. I'll never get rid of this machine.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Seakin
Virginia Mountains

Welcome to the Forum...My IDX Pro is modified by Mr. Bill, this was back when he was doing that mod. I have most of the coils for this machine and the outside Threshold and Ground Balance controls comes in handy. Do you ever mess with the GB control located inside of the case under the 'Made in America' decal? I have found that once set the GB rarely needs adjustment until you change coils. I also found the Holy Grail coil for it...the little 5½" concentric made by The defunct Discovery Electronics corp. It is called the Ferret Hot Head coil....for such a small coil it goes deep and gets inbetween the iron trash. This is a great relic hunting combo, last time out with it I scored a Barber dime and an IH ¢.

" If in doubt, dig it out"

I use various analog detectors, knobs and switches rule.

Randy from south central Kansas

Posted by: lytle78
Date: April 05, 2017 11:13AM
One of the new things about the IDX pro – once you have the ground balance adjustment Modh installed – is that you can use a couple of amazingly interesting coils.

I'm talking about the products of the guy that used to call "the wizard of the loop". Jim Karbowski - May God rest his soul.

May God rest his soul.

He designed and marketed - mostly through Jimmy Sierra - and also whites -na series of coils - the best-known of which is the famous "big foot". This 18 x 3" monster call is a regular coin vacuum scooping up shallow targets a hell of a rate.

Lesser-known is another coil he made called the gold foot cord ash it also had another name but I can't remember at the moment. It was sort of a mini big foot 9 x 2".

The Bigfoot was made for the old whites 6.59 kHz detectors call me also for the newer ones like the IDX and then later for the DFX - those will also call work on the V3 and even the Prizim.

Now the big foot for the DFX and later machines is very sought after - if you've got a clean one you canprobably get $400 $500 for it on eBay. The big foot for the earlier machines runs around $200 to $250.

Of course the big foot is for clearing large areas it but surprisingly on my IDX Pro it goes about as deep as the 8" coil. The goal foot however is a razor - it's slices and separates better than almost anything I have ever used.

You need to adjust the ground balance pretty radically however to use these with the IDX pro. You need to adjust the ground balance pretty radically however to use these with the IDX pro. they don't ground balance anywhere near the point that the standard coils to and if you don't adjust the ground balance you'll find that the ID skews radically and a silver half-dollar won't be detected a they don't ground balance anywhere near the point that the standard coils do and if you don't adjust the ground balance you'll find that the ID excuse radically and a silver F dollar won't be detected at all.

Great fun of course - but I probably need to get rid of my whole rig. I'm "deployed" at the moment – working on a US Air Force contract in Abu Dhabi in the UAE. But when I get home sometime in May I probably have to put the whole mess up for sale. So many detectors – so little time.

Rick Kempf

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login