Findmall.com

White's Main Detecting Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Whites IDX
Posted by: hivoltfl
Date: January 27, 2017 07:21AM
Have found a Whites IDX for sale, am thinking about picking it up for my wife to play with, would it be a good choice for a new user? At less than 200.00 if she does not continue to pursue the hobby I might use it from time to time, Thanks for any input.

Rick

Re: Whites IDX
Posted by: Hombre
Date: January 27, 2017 12:23PM
I'd say it is a good buy if in 90% + condition, Bonus if it has the Mr. Bill's modification ( Threshold and Ground Balance) adjustments on the outside of the control box. Then it would be worth $75 more. The IDX can be Ground Balanced by lifting the flag shaped Made In USA decal.and using a small slotted screwdeiver for the internal GB adjustment pot through the hole in the case ....It's a real fun detector if it is adjusted with a ground balance setting with a very slight positive off set. JMHO

" If in doubt, dig it out"

I use various analog detectors, knobs and switches rule.

Randy from south central Kansas

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/27/2017 12:49PM by Hombre.

Date: January 27, 2017 01:01PM
Thanks for the reply, it is the classic SL model, has a switch for black sand or normal soil, pot for Freq. pot for discrimination, and a pot for sensitivity, nothing for ground balance (did I just show my lack of knowledge?) as far as the condition only thing I see is a little missing paint on the left side of the box If it does not have the mentioned mods can they still be done, by whom?

Thanks again

Rick

Date: January 27, 2017 01:41PM
Just under the Frequency Adjustment knob is a Made In USA decal...under that decal is an access hole in the case. Through that hole is a 1 turn adjustment pot for the Ground Balance. Be very careful with this fragile trim pot and use a small slotted screw driver.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/27/2017 01:42PM by Hombre.

Date: January 27, 2017 03:52PM
Thanks again If I make the purchase I may very well play with that pot.

Date: January 27, 2017 05:32PM
hivoltfl
Thanks again If I make the purchase I may very well play with that pot.

It might be set right, you never know until you have the machine in hand. Put it in trigger pulled threshold all-metal mode and check the ground reaction on a clean piece of ground with no metal present. easy peasy...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login