Findmall.com

White's Main Detecting Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
MX5 relic hunting
Posted by: dirt lizard
Date: May 25, 2017 05:31AM
Has any one relic hunted with this machine?

Minelab Safari, Golden mask 5, Oldest coins, 1749 King George II half pence, 1783 Nova Constalatio, 1772 Spanish half Reale

Re: MX5 relic hunting
Posted by: slingshot
Date: May 25, 2017 03:28PM
I only use mine coin/jewelry hunting, but I do know that it has great audio/visual characteristics. From personal use I felt the single tone was remarkable for signal quality. A/m mode was good but I only used it to double check some deep signals. Would love to hear from others, as sometimes I feel I'm the only one using this machine.

Posted by: Hombre
Date: May 25, 2017 09:12PM
Does iron ridden old house sites, torn down churches, picnic groves & ghost towns count? I hunt these old sites because there was no Civil War activity near me, but once in a while I find some relics like eagle buttons, Spencer carbine spent shells and Sharps buffalo rifle spent shells.

The MX5 does great in the iron nails using the Coin mode, 2 tone audio, and zero Discrimination. Set up this way,,,Iron nails gives a low tone and anything above gives a high tone. When the nails get really thick (inches apart) where you get a ½ dozen or more hits per sweep, I change to single tone with the first 3 iron segments notched out. Set up this way.....it behaves much like a good Tesoro and we all know how great they the handle nails.

" If in doubt, dig it out"

I use various analog detectors, knobs and switches rule.

Randy from south central Kansas

Date: May 26, 2017 04:35AM
How does it handle steel bottle caps?

Minelab Safari, Golden mask 5, Oldest coins, 1749 King George II half pence, 1783 Nova Constalatio, 1772 Spanish half Reale

Date: May 26, 2017 07:53AM
dirt lizard
How does it handle steel bottle caps?

Honestly, I don't know, haven't dug any yet........On some detectors, they ID as quarters, when the MX5 has a VDI of 83/84 it's a quarter.....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/26/2017 07:54AM by Hombre.

Date: May 27, 2017 06:05AM
I hear all good things about this machine but no one seems to want them.

Posted by: slingshot
Date: May 27, 2017 07:40AM
dirt lizard
Yeah-if I didn't enjoy mine so much I would wonder. Not a relic hunter so I reside mainly in the 8 tone mode. I know this sounds weird, but I go thru medium trash sites about as fast as with a notch detector! I know the tones by heart, and sometimes a peculiar tone will be heard to make you investigate that a notch detector would bypass.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/27/2017 07:41AM by slingshot.

Date: May 27, 2017 01:29PM
dirt lizard

If I sold mine, I would regret it and buy another one. I think a lot of people new to the detecting world think that a high dollar detector will do better. In fact, I have better luck with mid priced units and of coarse my analog machines that I buy used. JMHO

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/27/2017 01:30PM by Hombre.

Date: May 27, 2017 05:05PM
Every machine I ever bought was used and they worked great. I know all about the regret part. I still feel it to this day.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login