Findmall.com

Technology Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Re: Goldscan 5 damaged:sadwalk:
Posted by: Reg
Date: July 17, 2013 10:38PM
Hi Draco,

When I ask a question the answer will help me determine what might be wrong. That is why I ask them.

For example, when you wave a high conductor and the tone goes low, what happens. I don't care what the tone is doing once it takes off because strange things can happen.

What happens when you turn the gain down? Does it get worse or better?

When you look inside close to the center of the main lower board, some of the GS 5's have a jumper across two points that say switch. Close to this jumper is another point with a G. The G stands for ground. The Jumper at the location where it says switch is a test setup that can be used to align the detector. What it will do is effectively short out the signals coming from the coil and early circuitry.

On other GS 5's, there are two pins instead of a jumper and those pins have a small black shorting plug placed on the pins. Please look and see which you setup have. You may want to take a pic of the center of the board but make sure it is wide enough because the area I am talking about is a little to one side which would be the high side in your pics.

I am hoping you have the shorting plug. If you do, I will ask you to pull the black plug off and see if the audio still changes if you let it set for a while.

I have attached two different pics, one showing the black shorting plug and the other showing the jumper on the pc board. Hopefully, from the two pics you can find the same location on your detector to see if you have the black shorting plug or the jumper

The two pics are taken looking at the same place but from the opposite side of the board. That is why they don't appear identical. They are looking at the same point and each has a red arrow pointing to the area of concern.

If you have the black shorting plug, let me know and we will have you remove that shorting plug and see if the audio wanders or not. Removing this shorting plug will not harm the detector but it will or should make the detector fail to detect anything and have a nice solid non changing hum. If this eliminates the audio changing, then the problem is before or at the shorting plug.

Do you have any test equipment?

Reg

Posted by: draco
Date: July 18, 2013 06:54AM
Hi Reg, sometimes the problem is the online translator.
I have taken several photos from different angles, so you can see nice pictures. I have found no bridge pins.

Whether you are in PI mode rectum as ground balance mode. After switching on, the threshold tone changes, is heard as if a tall object detecting driver and when I pass the ring near the coil is detected, but a bit away, about a vacuum threshold tone. Do not know how to explain better.

After removing the wires to take the pictures, looks better, but not like before.

Hope this helps, I have explained.

Thank you again.

http://subefotos.com/ver/?2208990a252765668dff7d71627d106bo.jpg
http://subefotos.com/ver/?1d84ec8a91abcc2ba7971ab4ae9b3e3co.jpg
http://subefotos.com/ver/?e005357b268fe83d084fd4ebb5b26714o.jpg
http://subefotos.com/ver/?640a9fb6a3ad8e76f3b83afeaebb038co.jpg

Used: Tesoro Euro Sabre, Minelab Excalibur, Goldscan 5.

Date: July 19, 2013 07:41AM
Hi Draco,

I am certain the three wires I asked about go to the GB switch. Let me know if this is true.

Now, before going any farther, what happened before you began having trouble with your GS 5? Did you let it sit for a long time? Did you drop the detector or bump it hard? Was there something else that might have caused the problem?

The reason I ask is to try to determine what the problem might be. If a detector sits for a long time and isn't used, sometimes one of the capacitors can fail. Dropping the detector may cause one of the small internal pots to break. Severe static might cause one of the internal components to fail. Then there is the nature failure of a part.

So, there are lots of different reasons why a detector fails. It helps to know just what happened to cause the failure if there is a reason such as dropping the detector.

Fortunately, the operational amplifiers are all in sockets so if one of those fail, they can be easily replaced without having to take the detector all apart. Unfortunately, lets hope you don't have to change one because some of them require special equipment to calibrate the detector once certain amplifiers are changed.

Do you work on metal detectors? Do you have test equipment or have a friend who has test equipment that can work on them? Answers to these questions can help find someone who might be able to fix the detector so you don't have to spend excessive money sending it somewhere.

Getting back to the GB circuitry, I consider this part of the detector about the half way point in the design. So, if we can determine whether the problem is before this point or after this point will help in determining just where to look for the problem.

Finally, I hope you don't mind all the questions. It is my way of helping you to determine what might be wrong and where to look for the problem.

Reg

Date: July 19, 2013 09:26AM
Hi Reg, I do not mind if I do all the questions it considers necessary, is an honor.

The detector was kept for some time, never received any blow.
I do not work in metal detectors, although I have done some out of a technology forum. I have no computer, but my brother if you ask to see.

The problem is in any position of the GB and regular PI mode. After removing the cables to take pictures, it seems that the GS5 is better, but not like before. Now is more sensitive to the low drivers, but less high. The potentiometer on and setting of treshold, before damage, it was a little to the left of center, to hear a buzz and now I have to put a little to the right of center. The threshold before and now was soft chirps. If under the range, then I can put treshold adjustment to the left of the center and be heard ringing becomes soft.

Thanks for helping.

Date: July 23, 2013 04:46PM
The Goldscan already been fixed, thanks to the invaluable help of Reg

Thank you very much friend.:clapping:

Posted by: seeker41
Date: July 23, 2013 08:25PM
draco
The Goldscan already been fixed, thanks to the invaluable help of Reg

Thank you very much friend.:clapping:

great!!! what was done to fix it? what was the problem?

chuck.

In seeking wisdom thou art wise; in imagining that thou hast attained it -- thou art a fool.

Date: July 25, 2013 06:50PM
Attached two videos, after arranging. The first video was a difference in the background tone, changing the selector. In the second video, it is already set.

A tap there, remove wires ... Without the help of Mr. Reg Sniff would not have been possible, since I do not understand electronics, and do copy only.

Thanks Reg. :please:

Posted by: jetapneiste
Date: April 13, 2014 02:46PM
Maybe if one day you sell it i could buy it until 1000 euros have a good day.

Posted by: 6666
Date: April 14, 2014 12:17AM
Interesting videos thanks

Date: April 14, 2014 12:40PM
Muchas gracias Jetapneiste, de momento no tengo intenci

Date: April 15, 2014 04:47AM
OK good detection

Date: April 26, 2014 04:21PM
Ok my dream is to buy a foster.
Good detection.

Date: August 19, 2014 04:09AM
Hi Reg, my GS5 has failed again, this time will be necessary to send to whoever can fix.
Would you be so kind as to send me a private message with the address of your or your friend so I can fix it?

Date: August 19, 2014 09:20AM
Hi Draco,

Just what is the GS 5 doing wrong this time?

Reg

Date: August 19, 2014 10:51AM
The background tone is not smooth, better video ...

Whenever I get time I do, thanks

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login