Findmall.com

Technology Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Re: Detectors in a Pelican Case
Posted by: Eric Foster
Date: August 07, 2016 07:53AM
That's the way to go.

Inductive charging should be relatively easy and is becoming popular on various domestic items. Interference would not be a problem as the detector would not be operating during the charging process. Can you do a fast charge I wonder?

Operating the controls remotely would be interesting, particularly for shallow water hunting. Wireless phones would be great and is already on some detectors, but again hunting in a sea water environment may be problematical.

It is good to push the boundaries and try out different things to make treasure hunting easier and more productive

Eric..

Posted by: stephenscool
Date: August 08, 2016 06:11PM
I have my tdi in a Plano box. Using wireless headphones with it. I have made a simple system where I can adjust the controls from outside the box. I had to use a cable clam for the coil. It's a salt water environment but I don't go past stomach deep. Right now the only time I open the box is to recharge the batteries. Submerged headphones would more than likely need some trial and error and the signal would.more than likely need to be adjustable /flexible to deal with the different environments

Posted by: icurabeachguy
Date: August 14, 2016 08:13PM
Glad to see you back and posting again Eric! I'm following your thread on geotech and read all 14 pages so far...interesting detector that Vallon is!

Based on the spec sheet, Vallon claims they are waterproof up to 4 meters, is that not the case with your unit?

Posted by: Eric Foster
Date: August 15, 2016 05:38PM
That is what is stated in the spec. and being a military grade detector, you would expect this to be the case.
Having completely disassembled and reassembled several units I am reluctant to submerge the whole unit for the following reasons.
The seach coil, swivel and up to the first coupling connector on the shaft, is all properly O ringed and sealed, so I would have no hesitation in submerging the coil and shaft up to that first coupling. Such is the quality of build that I would expect it to be OK for considerably greater depths. The battery housing, main case, control and connectors are all O ringed and fully sealed but for some reason the LED indicator and push button panel is not fully sealed. In fact there seems to be small holes that would let the water in. It is certainly safe to use in knee deep water and could take considerable splashing from waves going over the whole unit, but for true shallow water searching the control unit wants to be in a belt mounted case like the Pelican. I will post a picture in due course as I am just finishing a unit rebuilt this way.

Eric.

Date: August 17, 2016 08:16PM
Eric Foster
That is what is stated in the spec. and being a military grade detector, you would expect this to be the case.
Having completely disassembled and reassembled several units I am reluctant to submerge the whole unit for the following reasons.
The seach coil, swivel and up to the first coupling connector on the shaft, is all properly O ringed and sealed, so I would have no hesitation in submerging the coil and shaft up to that first coupling. Such is the quality of build that I would expect it to be OK for considerably greater depths. The battery housing, main case, control and connectors are all O ringed and fully sealed but for some reason the LED indicator and push button panel is not fully sealed. In fact there seems to be small holes that would let the water in. It is certainly safe to use in knee deep water and could take considerable splashing from waves going over the whole unit, but for true shallow water searching the control unit wants to be in a belt mounted case like the Pelican. I will post a picture in due course as I am just finishing a unit rebuilt this way.

Eric.

That sounds great Eric, thanks for the detailed response. Pics would be much appreciated when you're done with the project!

Re: Three Case Tips
Posted by: cjc
Date: September 21, 2016 10:26PM
1/ Where you see condensation--this means that there's moisture in the case to begin with. Load up the Silca Gel and if need be change them before submerging the machine in cold water. You can also use a hair drier to dry out the air inside the case before sealing. Took me a while to figure this out--nothing more unnerving than seeing mist inside your pulse machine.
2/ Use Windex to clean your gaskets--This will ensure that they are perfectly clean. Use a Q-Tip on the seating groove.
3/. Where you have a pin in the hinge--put a little silicone grease at the ends--this will stop it from rusting.
cjc
clivesgoldpage.com

Posted by: finnfoto
Date: September 24, 2016 08:15AM
WOW. that looks good. I new it was only a matter of time Id see my next project interest ,lol that being the TDI underwater mod.

Awesome. :thumbup:

Posted by: cjc
Date: March 09, 2017 07:18AM
Hi Eric
Hope your project is going well. I'll say this. From the boards I've put into Pelican 1040 cases, I've learned that the stock compression gasktet is not that great for more than a couple of hours. better to replace it with some kind of a tube type gasket like you see on the SMPI. TYhe stock gaskets seep gradually causing the performance to act up.
regards,
clive

Posted by: ionut_mtb@yahoo.com
Date: March 20, 2017 01:26PM
Hello guys!

For the spiral cable gland of the coil do you use o'ring inside of the case? is enough to stop the water?

Posted by: Sven
Date: March 25, 2017 07:38AM
I tap thread the case for the cable gland. Insures a tight fit.
Then I coat the threads with Marine Goop, PFM.
Once screwed in place, there is actually no gap between case and gland.
Then I coat the gland threads on the inside of the case and screw the nut in place.
Also fill the space between the gland and coil wire.
No o-ring.

Not sure if anyone makes a waterproof gland with a recess in the nut where a o-ring would fit into.
generally when you tighten the gland compression nut around the coil cable it provides the waterproof seal.

Quest Pro & Q40, Nokta Impact
Self built Mirage Pi's --- they work great in trashy areas!!

Date: March 25, 2017 03:45PM
Sven
I tap thread the case for the cable gland. Insures a tight fit.
Then I coat the threads with Marine Goop, PFM.
Once screwed in place, there is actually no gap between case and gland.
Then I coat the gland threads on the inside of the case and screw the nut in place.
Also fill the space between the gland and coil wire.
No o-ring.

OK, THANKS, that should do the job.

Date: July 05, 2017 01:41AM
Eric how do you find gsi gear box over the pelican case?

Posted by: stephenscool
Date: September 18, 2017 11:14PM
It appears tech's from certain companies also read these threads.

Date: October 11, 2017 06:37AM
stephenscool
It appears tech's from certain companies also read these threads.

Did something happen?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login