Findmall.com

Technology Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Need Help Identifying Pulse Coil
Posted by: foggynotion
Date: August 10, 2017 03:17PM
I bought this coil because it looked like an Eric Foster coil and that it would work on my Headhunter Pulse machine.
I metered the coil, and the inductance is 996 uh and the resistance is 10 ohms. I changed the connector to a HHPI connector.
The problem is it will only detect a very large object an inch or two from the coil.
The coil looks brand new, with no wear whatsoever and since the inductance and resistance are reading correctly, it seems like the coil should not be defective.
So, I would like to know if this coil is compatible with the Headhunter Pulse, and if so, what can I do to that might get it to work?

Re: Need Help Identifying Pulse Coil
Posted by: kt315
Date: August 10, 2017 10:48PM
hi, sorry for my language just its not native for me.

there are two concepts of PIs - 350uH coil and 1mH coil. seems you took last one. did you measure HHPI original coil?

Date: August 11, 2017 02:57AM
Yes, it uses 1mH coil. The one I am trying to get to work measures 996uH.

Date: August 11, 2017 07:18AM
and original coil also has 10 Ohm value measured?

Date: August 11, 2017 09:28AM
The original coil measures 10.95 ohms and the one I am trying to get to work measures 9.56 ohms.

Posted by: Carl-NC
Date: August 11, 2017 12:34PM
Inductance & resistance are "close enough" so now you need to measure self-resonance to see if there is a big difference in parasitic capacitance. That would affect the required damping resistor.

Date: August 11, 2017 05:16PM
Eric uses especial cable for coils. can you give pics of markings on the cable isolation? i assume the cable was changed.

Posted by: Old California
Date: August 13, 2017 09:24PM
That's what I was thinking, Eric uses special cable and this particular black coil above with black cable is a different cable? Eric's cable were orange for this same size coil, i have the same coil a 10uS for the GoldQuest with orange cable.

Hopefully, all goes well the HH Pi is a neat pi I have a couple.

Paul

AKA..Paul (Ca)

Whites GoldMaster BFO
Compass Klodike BFO
Bountyhunter BFO
FisherScope TR
Metrotech TR
Detectron TR
Rayscope TR
Mity Mite TR
Garrett BFO
D-Tex BFO
Goldak TR
Relco BFO
Jecto BFO
Teknetics
Roach TR

Date: August 14, 2017 05:00AM
Thank you everyone for your advice.
I have a feeling buying this coil was a waste of money.
I actually bought two of them. The other one is all black (no orange color) meters at 460 uh.
Fortunately, I have 2 HHPIs that are working great. I just bought the 2 new coils because some forum members have mentioned they have other coils fitted to their units and I was curious to try it.

Posted by: ROBOCOP
Date: August 14, 2017 07:53AM
I have a custom coil on my HHPI. It was made by Eric Foster and installed by Bill Crabtree. It has the orange cable. It is the best performing HHPI I have (of 3).

If you put Eric's name in your header maybe he will respond.

I remember Gary Storm said when his coil maker passed away he stopped carrying the pulse model.

Maybe there is something very special about making these coils?

also probably, only my opinion
Date: August 15, 2017 10:46AM
i guess a winding was been filled by epoxy... not right decision for speed pi coil.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login