Findmall.com

Fisher Classic Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
coil question
Posted by: One arm willy
Date: February 01, 2015 12:07PM
I have a white 8" spider coil with a 4 pin connection plug. Marked fisher m-scope by mount tab. Any idea what machine it is from or would fit? Thanks

Re: coil question
Posted by: MarkCZ
Date: February 01, 2015 12:51PM
One arm willy
I have a white 8" spider coil with a 4 pin connection plug. Marked fisher m-scope by mount tab. Any idea what machine it is from or would fit? Thanks

I'm going to toss this out there and say it's most likely either an very early model 1266 or a CZ coil. All the Fisher coils before these models where fully BOXED and not the open frame design. Not very long in the production of the 1266 and the CZ the company changed over to the now standard black open frame coils.

Mark

Posted by: WV62
Date: February 01, 2015 03:01PM
A picture of the coil and one or two of the plug end may help.

Does it look like this?

Worked and lived in the Huntington West Virginia area all my life, retired 2010
US Air Force Vietnam Veteran (68-69 & 70-71)
Started getting into metal detecting around 1975

Date: February 01, 2015 04:32PM
Thanks for the replies& help. Going to see if I can get pics to post. Thanks

Date: February 01, 2015 09:34PM
I can say for sure it is not for the 1266x or a CZ detector. You have something there that I have never seen before. The picture I sent you was a coil plug for a 1266x detector, which a female connector. The CZ would be a five pin male connector.

Sorry can't help, maybe one of the old timers will pick up your post.

Ron in WV

Date: February 03, 2015 10:34PM
Thanks for help. I didn't know about the male & female ends. I tried to put a 11" fisher coil on my 1265x only to discover both had male ends. I guess I have a cz coil. I think the 4 pin coil might be for a cz6. I think the cz6 was the odd duck for connectors. Looks like I have some coils up for barter. Thanks for your input.

Date: February 04, 2015 08:14AM
If that 11" coil is box type coil, not spider, I would say it goes on the 1220x or 1260x. If it is spider type I would say it is for the CZ.

Ron in WV

Date: February 06, 2015 12:28AM
It is the box type. Thanks for the info. Doubt I ever come across a 1220x or 1260x.

Posted by: Dave J.
Date: February 06, 2015 07:51PM
That's a CZ6 connector, therefore a CZ6 searchcoil. They're a waterproof industrial connector, did well in in-house stress testing and in field testing. In production, after a few months of usage in the hands of customers, they started coming back. We had to switch back to the sturdy but non-waterproof Switchcraft Slimline connector, which also required some minor retooling. Thus was born the CZ6a.

I hate loop connectors. They scare the heck out of me, and that particular episode is an example of why. It wasn't the first time, either. Both Fisher and Teknetics a few years earlier had adopted an AMP plastic connector, seemed real good until they started coming back. Both companies had to scrap them and go back to the Switchcraft Slimline.

Over the years I've figured out some of the reasons why circular connectors that pass qualification and field testing fail in the hands of customers. I'm not quite as afraid of loop connectors as I used to be, because nowadays I can look at what the vendor thinks is a great connector and 98% of the time I can say no thanks without ever having to put it through any tests.

The most shocking one was a couple years ago, a waterproof circular connector from a well-known connector manufacturer, looked good enough to actually test a sample. When I tried to solder the wires, the plastic melted. The manufacturer themselves had never actually tested the connector, I was the first!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login