Findmall.com

Digital Photography Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Posting this for newer members...probably a repeat
Posted by: Detector Man
Date: September 23, 2017 07:00PM
notice the flower it is star shaped ... i just love it.
it starts out with a "bud" that has 5 sides. The "bud" will open where you see the "seams" and the flower will be exposed when it opens.
Its a no name (for me) succulent. I have a picture of the red rectangular pot where the succulent resides to give you an idea what the whole plant looks like. For those of you who know nothing of this or similar plant, they are not very hard to grow....frost does not seem to bother this plant...and if you wish to have more of the same plant ? all you do is snap off a piece and simply stick it in cactus soil or soil that will drain water easily.....it will root itself.
More details can be seen if you hold the control button and scroll back.....i use the wheel on top of my mouse....instead of scrolling.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/23/2017 07:03PM by Detector Man.

Re: Posting this for newer members...probably a repeat
Posted by: Dave J.
Date: September 26, 2017 12:52PM
The stems look like a euphorbia (e.g. E. knuthii) but I've seen cacti with somewhat similar stems. The bloom doesn't look either cactus or euphorbia. I've seen photos of this species before but that was probably 40 years ago and I don't remember what it was.

I'm usually pretty good at identifying plants if the photos are good, but ya stumped the chump on this one.

Posted by: Detector Man
Date: September 27, 2017 12:51AM
The most unusual flower i have ever seen ..you know i gave up on the names a long time ago...the scientific names are too complicated and often times there are several varieties within the same "family"...
Im not sure any more where i found this one....lol

i did a quick google search and i found a picture of the flower and this is the REAL name i found.. Orbea variegata (Stapelia gigantea) what do you think?
I have to say one of my favorite cactus/succulent is a Bishop's Cap..(common name) and as the name implies it looks like a Bishop's Cap....

Posted by: vito
Date: October 01, 2017 09:32AM
Wow, that is an amazing flower, detector man.
Thanks for sharing and taking us along.

Posted by: Dave J.
Date: October 02, 2017 01:37AM
Detector Man
The most unusual flower i have ever seen ..you know i gave up on the names a long time ago...the scientific names are too complicated and often times there are several varieties within the same "family"...
Im not sure any more where i found this one....lol

i did a quick google search and i found a picture of the flower and this is the REAL name i found.. Orbea variegata (Stapelia gigantea) what do you think?
I have to say one of my favorite cactus/succulent is a Bishop's Cap..(common name) and as the name implies it looks like a Bishop's Cap....

Neither cactus nor euphorbia. Member of the dogbane family, milkweed subfamily. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stapelia_gigantea Here's a bit about the Stapelias: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stapelia

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login