Findmall.com

Fisher "F" Series Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Re: Tried something new with DP...it worked!
Posted by: REVIER
Date: March 06, 2017 08:22PM
I have found gold from 24 on up on my Fishers.
Small chains and other gold can come in lower but very rare so if I do use disc I rarely go over 23 when in jewelry mode.
Ask bruinvikes about that.
He got an F70 after going from an F2 and started with factory settings but I got him to change it up a bit.
On the disc I told him I don't go higher than 23 so he doesn't either and then he finds gold at 25.
I don't dig everything from 24 on up either...just the solid stuff.
Still find gold.

"What if doing the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about?”
F70, F2, Compadre, Mojave, Judge2 - 2017....Clad, 13 silver targets including a freaking Barber quarter, a beautiful walker and two V nickels...
Plus other cool stuff.

Date: March 08, 2017 02:10PM
Going to an old park I have never been to before, meeting a friend later on after he gets off work.
I told him I will get there early and get all those pesky gold rings out of his way, first.
I just mounted my jewelry killer...the 10" elliptical concentric to give me a decent chance of actually doing it and really drive him crazy.
Yea...I am that evil.

I tried it earlier on my lawn and man, those tones sound really sweet in DP on this coil.
Wish me luck.

F70, F2, Compadre, Mojave, Judge2 - 2017....Clad, 13 silver targets including a freaking Barber quarter, a beautiful walker and two V nickels...
Plus other cool stuff.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/08/2017 02:12PM by REVIER.

Posted by: WV62
Date: March 08, 2017 03:19PM
Just wondering if you ever tried the 6" elliptical concentric on your F70? If so did you have any luck?

Ron in WV

Forgot, good luck

Worked and lived in the Huntington West Virginia area all my life, retired 2010
US Air Force Vietnam Veteran (68-69 & 70-71)
Started getting into metal detecting around 1975

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/08/2017 03:20PM by WV62.

Date: March 09, 2017 06:14AM
WV62
Just wondering if you ever tried the 6" elliptical concentric on your F70? If so did you have any luck?

Ron in WV

Forgot, good luck

Not yet with DP...that is next up.
I have used that small coil for many hours in both good soil and bad using all metal and other tones, however, and a huge amount of treasure has been the result including some shocking depth and a few bucket listers.
In my oh so difficult soil with a ton of extra iron I hunt in now that is probably my best and most productive coil.
Coverage is not as good as the big DD of course but it is a trade off due to the slightly better separation in this garbage devil dirt.
In great soil the big DD beat that one in depth but here I have gotten as deep as 8" and found good targets with decent ID's so far with all three of my coils but I can get deeper with all of them albeit with some crazy ID behavior....always looking to get better at figuring out targets deeper, though.
Digging deep in this soil is not easy in the dry times but even in better moist soil there is a layer of pretty thick red clay in many areas I hunt a few inches deep that is not all that easy to deal with sometimes.
I have zero interest in going after any target just because it is deep just in case...I need at least some positive indicators or I won't even try.

Yesterday I was not exactly thrilled with the concentric and using DP.
Really jumpy, not a great amount of depth near the big DD at all as far as I can tell...in that site, anyway.
I was low on battery power too but I don't know if that affected anything, usually doesn't most of the time and I usually get similar depth and behavior from a new set down to almost turning itself off.
Love the concentric in multi tones but the DD's might be better for DP overall.
The DD sniper will get its turn soon and I hope it works as well as DP on the big coil with even better separation but still with great depth.

Today I might hit that same site, among others, and I will bring both DD's with me and compare behavior.
That could tell me something.

Plus other cool stuff.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 03/09/2017 06:37AM by REVIER.

Posted by: Loadthis
Date: March 09, 2017 08:48PM
I've been running DP tones on my F70 with the 11" DD for the last 8 months or so and I've found it works great in an old military housing area to sift between the metal scraps, melted aluminum and general trash. Pulled many silvers, tons of wheats and too many zincolns out of this area. I've hit it pretty hard over the last year and felt that I've gotten all the good targets out.
Well, I finally decided I wanted to try the F75 and ordered the Anniversary Edition. It arrived last Saturday and I finally got to swing it yesterday and today during my lunch break. I hit two separate areas that I've hit multiple times with the F70. I was running DP tones, 55 disc, nickels notched in, and sense at 49. I usually have the sense at around 60 on the F70 in this same location but found the F75 to be much more sensitive. I managed to pull a '43 Merc, several nickels a quarter and lots more wheats yesterday. Today I pulled 2 clad dimes, about ten cents, 2 of them wheats, one a really crusty green memorial cent and a '54 Rosie. All this in areas I've hunted really well with the F70.

I've noticed with the F75 is that I'm getting a lot more depth. Typical depth on the F70 in this location is 0-4 inches. The F75 was accurately reading depths down to 7 inches and pulling up coins. The two silvers were both about 3 inches but the F75 managed to separate them from the trash.

Overall I feel DP tones give me a very accurate picture of what's going on under the coil.

Date: March 10, 2017 09:03AM
Well I skimmed all these post for settings and here is what I came up with. I didn't reread all word for word so if I missed any let me know.

Detectors F70 / F75
Tone DP
Sensitivity @ 75, 30, 40, 49, 60
Disc @ 15, 55
Processor @ DE
Threshold @ -1, -2, -3 all for the F70
Notches none and nickels

So once the list is complete, what could we take from all that to make some basic settings?

Ron and it is raining in WV

Date: March 10, 2017 11:30AM
WV62
Well I skimmed all these post for settings and here is what I came up with. I didn't reread all word for word so if I missed any let me know.

Detectors F70 / F75
Tone DP
Sensitivity @ 75, 30, 40, 49, 60
Disc @ 15, 55
Processor @ DE
Threshold @ -1, -2, -3 all for the F70
Notches none and nickels

So once the list is complete, what could we take from all that to make some basic settings?

Ron and it is raining in WV

On my F70 where I can adjust the thresh in disc I have tried -3 up to +5.
I have used sense from 30 in extreme trash up to about 85.
I notched in nickels a few times, foil too.
Disc is usually on 6, not much difference down to 1 and I have also tried 23 and pure cherry picking up to 65.
Used the big DD coil on most, the concentric I like better using multi tones.

Depth was pretty decent on all settings, here if I can get to the 6-8" area there is good stuff hiding, lots of it less at 4-5".
I can get further than 8" but that is rare and any I have dug have been iron.
Almost everything is super jumpy here past 2-3" but using DP I seem to be getting some much more stable behavior and locking on to 1-2 numbers on some targets at 4" and deeper which is a nice change for me.
I have boost in disc and I have switched back and forth a lot checking targets at all depth levels and I seem to hit the deeper ones just as well without it as with it.
Not really aiming for 10+" here either but DE is faster and a fast speed seems to matter in infested sites.
FA might work great but I don't have that so I make do.

That cherry picking high 65 disc...I went back over sections I had just hit on lower disc with much more happening and found a few coins I missed...easily.
The noise factor seems to be important here...the least useless signals you get helps to home in on and recognize the good ones when you get them so quiet operation AND cutting out many other distracting targets seems to be the best balance depending on what you are looking for.
Like balancing the sense and thresh...there might be optimum settings for each different site if you can hit on them but the basics still work pretty well, too.
I use these to find old coins, remember here deep nickels still come in high because around iron they also up average into higher than 65 numbers...but I want to find gold too so using that 65 disc all the time for me is not an option.

This is all about unmasking for me, getting any signals that don't jump much and stay in a repeating range of numbers at least from 2 ways...and it seems to work pretty well.
I am finding targets in many sites I have hunted before that I missed, anyway.

This is a guy out in California. on another forum who has been using an F75 for about 7 months.
His first detector I believe.
He has found some good stuff in that time but when he first came on he was looking for advice about hunting one special pre 1850 site he has access to that is filled with trash and about a million small iron nails.
A little bit of mineralization too because he GB's in the low 70's there.
At that time I gave him some setting advice about hunting in iron using either my all metal blast through settings or Dankowski's monotone and disc on 6 method to try.

A few days ago he contacted me in a pm and asked for a little more advice again.
He liked using multi tones mostly when he hunted in other sites, worked well for him but he was pretty frustrated about this special site because after 7 months hunting it he has found nothing.
In other iron heavy sites the same problem...He was digging a ton of targets but any good ones he rarely came across he counted as luck, he just dug signals and hoped for the best.
On top of that he hunts with a friend with 7 years in the hobby using a Whites unit and he keeps finding silver all over these sites while he doesn't.
I referred to that reply I gave him months ago about hunting in iron and also told him about my newest adventures using DP.
He went back and re-read that older post which didn't make much sense to him as a newbie but now does with more experience and also I sent him info about this DP tone stuff.
I came to find out as well as multi tones worked for him in his other more open trash and iron free sites he just used it at these iron heavy sites too...which was a problem.
I told him I understand why, it doesn't matter what model F75 he had, old, new, DST or not the high tone falsing he was getting had to be a big issue confusing everything and disguising the actual good signals if and when he got them.
Plus using the big DD coil through all of this didn't help.
The other day with renewed vigor and a bit more setting understanding he went back to that old site once more and he picked this DP method to try for the first time.
Then he posted this...

CaveCitySlayer

"A few days ago I asked REVERE for advice using my F75. I haven't done horrible with it but my buddy with a Whites MX Sport has consistently outperformed me. Today I went over to a homestead from pre-1850 that I have struck out at for the last 7 months. After 1 hour the results can't be a coincidence. I have passed through this area 100 times and found nothing. Today I yanked out 3 coins. 1954 Washington, 1957 Rosie, and 1929 Wheatie! I'm looking forward to going back out and seeing what else I have missed! Settings: Sense 80, Disc. 6, Tone DP, and a stock DD coil. I also found a pocket watch from 1908 but it's pretty busted. Now I'm curious what my 5" coil wil do out there..."

Brand new with DP, spent an hour in which site which confused the heck out of him in multi tones for 7 months and found nothing but with this method he found 3 keepers.
He isn't even as good as he will get in the future with more practice and then I assume the sniper coil is going to make things even easier.

There is something to this and it appears I am not the only one that is experiencing this.

Plus other cool stuff.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/10/2017 11:39AM by REVIER.

Now with the sniper coil..
Date: March 13, 2017 10:14AM
Here are three situations where DP really helped...

This is a total of the targets I found on a morning hunt yesterday.
A few coins came from my scoured local park, so dif that cool old knife, but most of these coins came from some permission lawns that I walked over on my walk home.
I have been over these lawns a ton, lots of directions, different coils, settings even a couple of detectors.
This time using DP AND the sniper coil most of these targets popped up and most were masked but easily noticed.
My soil is tricky with red clay mineralization, even the black stuff GB's pretty high and there are pieces of iron everywhere which does a lot of masking.
If these lawns were in Kansas I am pretty sure I would have found most of them long ago but here it is much more challenging even on the shallow stuff.
This setup with the small sniper made these signals pretty obvious.

Here is a dime I found in one of those lawns.
The hole I dug was not wide, maybe 3", before I got the three pieces of iron out of this small hole first then the dime.
This iron had to be surrounding the coin, one piece might have bern above it.
I had been over this exact spot before and I can guarantee you that but no matter what settings or coils or detectors I used I missed this dime every time.
This signal was not exactly great, a little jumpy, not exactly what I look for even using DP but there was something in this mixed signal that made me dig it...some repeating high numbers although extremely quick.
I believe the big difference that helped me find this dime this time was using DP tones.

In the afternoon another quick hunt.
This site was a small strip of land that used to have a few old houses but were knocked down.
I have been here many times, found very little but modern clad using multi tones, all metal and low disc and monotone.
A few weeks ago I did find an old wheat in an area that is near the front steps in the front lawn of one of the houses using maxed out thresh in disc but nothing old has ever shown up before or since.
A few hunts after I hit this area with the F70 again and a couple of coils, used different settings and even tried the Red Racer twice with two different coils.
Nada...
This time I tried DP and just ran around this site looking for just one good signal.
I got a huge one in the same area near that other old wheat.
It was high and loud and painted pretty big in the ground like a full smashed can or a big iron piece but moving the coil around the area a couple inches away I seemed to get another with some repeating high numbers and tones.
This was actually kind of classic iron behavior, low when you get the coil over iron but on the outskirts of that iron, even a few inches away, there is usually falsing into the high range.
I thought that was what this was at first but moving the coil around the area I still got some pretty decent repeating high number high tone behavior.
Using the pinpointing feature and looking at the depth number changes as I moved from one spot to the other I noticed there were two targets here although pretty close together both at about 4" deep.
The soil was pretty moist here too due to having some pretty good amount of rain the day before so I believe the conductivity of all targets I dug on these hunts were heightened.
That might have had something to do with me being able to find all these targets but this DP stuff seemed to be working just as well before the rain, also.

I went after the smaller target first and I was actually a little shocked that a coin popped up.
A really dirty crusty cent...I hoped it was an Indian head but it was a wheat when I scrubbed it clean enough to ID it.
Then I went after the big target still expecting a big can but again was surprised when a smaller piece of iron cake up instead.
Pretty thick on one end though, and fairly heavy.
The separation in the pic below is not exactly right...add about one more inch of separation between the two but the moist soil definitely helped bleed the iron signal over to the area of the coin if only in those high perimeter falsing kind.

So far DP seems to be working pretty well for me, as I continue to practice I think I am getting better, sensing more, noticing more.
Now I have at least three good methods I can use to hunt in iron and heavy mineralization.
Like changing coils using all of them at certain sites could just increase my chances of finding the better masked targets.
All three methods work pretty well but when I go back and hit sites again with another I seem to find more.
There might be an overlap here, or it could be in some cases what one method might miss another can find more easily.
Using all three when I have the time I think my chances for success have gotten better.

Still experimenting...not done yet but now I know that DP and the sniper coil seems to be a deadly combination.

Plus other cool stuff.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/13/2017 10:17AM by REVIER.

Re: Now with the sniper coil..
Posted by: markg
Date: March 13, 2017 02:29PM
You are correct REVIER, the DP tones is a very special function. It too has opened up many old hunted out sites for me.

Re: Now with the sniper coil..
Date: March 13, 2017 03:17PM
markg
You are correct REVIER, the DP tones is a very special function. It too has opened up many old hunted out sites for me.

All thanks to you, Mark.
I played with it some before, I know others like mudpuppy only use this choice but usually he just looks for mega clad amounts and shallow jewelry.
Others have stated over the years in posts I have read that they use this all the time but never explained exactly how they used it...just that they did.
For me I put it on the back burner while I learned other settings, tones and combinations.
Then I read your thread where you went into detail about using three different detectors in a site that sounded like the kind of situations I live in and how the unmasking speed and tones on the Deus can be sort of duplicated on a Fisher and what it could do.
That impressed me...big time, and what started me on this journey to learn as much as I can about this method that you so eloquently put down for all to read.
I did, I got it, I tried it with a few tweaks and know it works and works well.
I tried to spread the word and give you full credit when I do.
I am sure CaveCitySlayer thanks you too.
He spent seven months in a difficult site with nothing to show then one hour with DP and success.

This is a huge reason I spend times on the forums...to learn and get better.
You did exactly that for me so again thanks for the thought and time to put all this down
I hope one day I can return the favor.

Plus other cool stuff.

Date: March 13, 2017 05:27PM
Okay I am confused lots of setting float around on this post.

Now I have such a site, that gave up a pretty good showing of silver. Early last year we expanded are range just a little and found a few silvers. Now we went back several times and now we can hunt in there all day and not find a single coin.

Now the soil is not a problem but being this was a old picnic are in the wooded area of the park it kind like hunting in trash land fill.

For the most part are good silver was not all that deep, most were within 4" of the surface.

So I know there is still some good silver left in there, and it is my guess it is mask by the trash.

You guys know I run the F75Ltd that has the boost processor, now if I was to return and try to take out some more of that silver without just taking out the trash. What would be my best equipment setup and settings? I also have a pretty good stock of coils, 11"DD, 5x10 DD, 10" concentric, 6.5" concentric, NEL snake, and the 5"DD.

Ron in WV

Posted by: nalc472
Date: March 13, 2017 06:21PM
If it is a small area I would use the 5 stock coil. Set Disc 65 Notch 27, Sens (as high as stable), and FA processor. 1N Tones. THis works for me.

Date: March 13, 2017 08:28PM
I don't have any of those processes on mine so I can't give an opinion about that.
If they work for one they will probably work to another so try them.

Here is what has worked for me in sites like that.
DP seems to work in trash as well as in iron so...
5" DD coil, DP, disc anywhere you want but you need to hear the quick high tones so the higher you go the less distracting noise of trash targets to deal with.
Even 65 on disc works well to help pick out the better high stuff.
Sense as high as you can get it with the least noise, you can try boost but DE speed is faster and should hit silver fine if it is there at shallow depths up to 6-8".

Method 2..
Monotone, disc on 6...maybe you can go higher but I usually use 1and learned to watch the numbers close and listen hard and sort it all out with my brain.
Sense up there but keep it quiet if you want.
Again DE speed is faster than boost and that helps.
Sniper coil.

Method 3...all metal blast through settings.
All metal, sense at 90-99, thresh from 6-9, DE speed, also a sniper coil.

On all methods move the coil slow and look for blocks of numbers that stay high and repeat from two directions.
You might not get any solid numbers in mineralized soil or sites with lots of trash or iron so blocks of numbers with a range of up to about 6 or so that stay high is what you look for.
Forget normal coin ranges too if there is a good amount of iron, the numbers might soar higher than usual.

The only processes I have are DE speed and SL boost slower speed.
Using any of these with extra processes like FA or 1N they might work even better but you will have to find that out for yourself.
Even without them all of these methods work for me very well...with a bit of practice.

Plus other cool stuff.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/13/2017 08:28PM by REVIER.

Date: March 14, 2017 10:02AM
Well guys I guess I messed up. With some talk in the above post about DP opening up old hunted out sites I was kind of thinking I would get some settings using DP.

I have ran all my coils in this old wooded picnic area which is about size of 2 football fields. I have also ran the DE, FA, JE, and boost, processors with sensitive high and low. As for disc I started off running at 65 and I have backed down to 60. When I started running disc 60 I started getting a few wheat pennies.

There have been 3 of us brothers hunting it with different detectors, F75, F5, F70, 1270, 1266x, Omaga, and Tesoro Tejon's. We were finding silver in there for about 2 summers of hunting and at the start of last summer the silver stopped. The silver coins ranged from 4 half $'s, several quarters and a bunch of dimes. I found 2 of the half dollars and my brothers each got one and my brother with the F5 with the 11"DD coil is way ahead on the total number of silver coins found.

We have since spent several full days of hunting in there without a single coin being found. We have even taken tools in there and cleaned some of the brush thinking we may find another honey hole.

I have ran single tone, 3, 3H, 4 and 4H but not DP in that area. I was thinking I would like to give some setup using DP tones and see what happens.

Ron in WV

Posted by: markg
Date: March 14, 2017 10:18AM
That is some very impressive finds REVIER.
:clapping:

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login