Findmall.com

Fisher "F" Series Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Re: Tried something new with DP...it worked!
Posted by: REVIER
Date: March 14, 2017 10:59AM
WV62
Well guys I guess I messed up. With some talk in the above post about DP opening up old hunted out sites I was kind of thinking I would get some settings using DP.

I have ran all my coils in this old wooded picnic area which is about size of 2 football fields. I have also ran the DE, FA, JE, and boost, processors with sensitive high and low. As for disc I started off running at 65 and I have backed down to 60. When I started running disc 60 I started getting a few wheat pennies.

There have been 3 of us brothers hunting it with different detectors, F75, F5, F70, 1270, 1266x, Omaga, and Tesoro Tejon's. We were finding silver in there for about 2 summers of hunting and at the start of last summer the silver stopped. The silver coins ranged from 4 half $'s, several quarters and a bunch of dimes. I found 2 of the half dollars and my brothers each got one and my brother with the F5 with the 11"DD coil is way ahead on the total number of silver coins found.

We have since spent several full days of hunting in there without a single coin being found. We have even taken tools in there and cleaned some of the brush thinking we may find another honey hole.

I have ran single tone, 3, 3H, 4 and 4H but not DP in that area. I was thinking I would like to give some setup using DP tones and see what happens.

Ron in WV

DP...disc on 60 since it worked before...DE speed...sense high until you get chatter but keep it quiet.
The less falsing the better.
Move the sniper coil really slow, crawl around small areas.
Listen for very short quick signals, watch the screen for numbers or could be blocks of numbers that repeat maybe in a range of 6 numbers.
In my sites I get no solid numbers at 4" or more, they are usually in a range from like 88-94.
These tones in zinc and higher might be really quick and shorter than you experienced in all the other setting combinations you have tried.
If you hear one stop and move the coil around the area after pinpointing the exact spot of the suspected target and with really short fast side to side swipes from more than one direction see if the tone and numbers repeat at all, if they do...dig.
I wish I could be there and show you how this works, if I got one good signal you would learn this in 30 seconds.
You get signals of all kinds using all setting combinations, using DP it just might have a tiny bit more unmasking ability around iron and trash, maybe a little better way to catch a small piece of something good masked by junk.
The key us the real slow coil movements and learning to notice the very quick and short tones you can get.
The VDI is tied directly into the tones on this one, no lag time like you might get on the others as imperceptible as that lag time may be.
The capper is those short swipes over the target listening to the fast repeating tone while watching those numbers to make sure they stay high and repeat.

"What if doing the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about?”
F70, F2, Compadre, Mojave, Judge2 - 2017....Clad, 15 silver targets including a freaking Barber quarter, a beautiful walker and 4 V nickels...
Plus other cool stuff.

Posted by: WV62
Date: March 14, 2017 11:11AM
Revier,

Very good write up, now I got a pretty good mental picture of what to try and what to expect.

Thanks much,

Ron in WV

Worked and lived in the Huntington West Virginia area all my life, retired 2010
US Air Force Vietnam Veteran (68-69 & 70-71)
Started getting into metal detecting around 1975

Date: March 14, 2017 11:45AM
markg
That is some very impressive finds REVIER.
:clapping:

Those are great, they show I am learning this method.
However one of the very first times I tried DP something unbelievable happened.
I was in an area with a ton of junk I had never hunted before.
This part of the park had to be a dump at one time because there were lots of huge targets here, car, motorcycle and house parts that I dug on later hunts.
Screaming loud signals here and there, tabs and other trash to plus small pieces of iron all over that is everywhere around here.
The ground was rock hard because we were in drought, I was not digging anything past 1" or so because it was just too hard to dig, this hunt was mostly about looking for future spots to hunt when conditions got better.
It only took 5 minutes till I got a signal I never had before...ever.
It sounded high and solid, it repeated with those short swipes, I got really solid numbers that rarely happen here that never wavered from 98-99 on every pass.
The depth reading said 4" but even though I knew it wouldn't be easy I decided to dig it just to see what it was.
I was thinking nothing but junk the whole way, the target painted big maneuvering the coil around the area using the pinpoint, not flat can big but a bit smaller like a can stomped on and flattened vertically.
I was sure this is what it was or some other piece of junk like a big aluminum slug, ingot or something...this area did have some weird huge junk all around just below the surface.

I dug down and did recover something at 4" but it was not junk...it was way better.
I mention DP tones have been lucky for me and this is why.
If I get real good with it I hope to get lucky again.

F70, F2, Compadre, Mojave, Judge2 - 2017....Clad, 15 silver targets including a freaking Barber quarter, a beautiful walker and 4 V nickels...
Plus other cool stuff.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2017 11:53AM by REVIER.

Date: March 14, 2017 12:06PM
WV62
Revier,

Very good write up, now I got a pretty good mental picture of what to try and what to expect.

Thanks much,

Ron in WV

Not hard to learn...once you get the first good signal and notice the behavior that you are looking for.
CaveCitySlayer used it for one hour in a difficult site he said he hit 100 times and found nothing.
Never used this before, mostly he used 4H there and everywhere else, but the first hour he did he found three good targets.

It sounds like you guys cleaned up your site pretty good but if there are any masked and hidden stragglers hopefully this method will find them.

You guys are only about 600 miles from my house, if I ever get an invite I would love a shot at that site sometime.

Plus other cool stuff.

Date: March 14, 2017 12:43PM
Open invite, if you are going to be in or near let me know and we will work in a day or two of hunting. Bring a small shovel we can use them in this wooded area of the park.

Best time of year is early summer and fall to avoid the weeds and bugs/snakes.

That would be a very interesting hunt and I bet my brothers would join in. My brothers forum names MarkCz (Mark with a F70) and Still looking 52 (Greg with the F5).

Ron in WV

Date: March 15, 2017 08:46AM
Last night I setup the F75 with the 5" DD and the NEL snake with the settings you suggested for some air testing. The one thing that I was wondering about was that really slow sweep speed and how much if any it would cut down on depth.

It wasn't as bad as I expected, but both coils lost about an inch with the slow sweep speed.

I tried both DE and FA and the FA processor was about an inch less than the DE. So with the slow sweep speed I was getting between 5 and 6 on a silver dime, not to bad.

So now I am just waiting on a break in honey do and the weather and I will be back to that wooded area in the park for some testing.

Ron in WV

Date: March 15, 2017 09:15AM
WV62
Last night I setup the F75 with the 5" DD and the NEL snake with the settings you suggested for some air testing. The one thing that I was wondering about was that really slow sweep speed and how much if any it would cut down on depth.

It wasn't as bad as I expected, but both coils lost about an inch with the slow sweep speed.

I tried both DE and FA and the FA processor was about an inch less than the DE. So with the slow sweep speed I was getting between 5 and 6 on a silver dime, not to bad.

So now I am just waiting on a break in honey do and the weather and I will be back to that wooded area in the park for some testing.

Ron in WV

In my soil I am actually getting surprisingly deep with DP and DE using DD coils.
Some more solid non jumping numbers on 4" targets, actually pretty unusual behavior in this dirt.
I do switch back and forth between DE and boost and with boost it is possible I do get a little deeper or slightly clearer signals on the deeper ones at 6"+ but I usually check these targets using both and I believe I am hitting most targets close to the same.
DE is faster, overall better for this method to notice those quick tones better.

The other day using the sniper coil I pinpointed a couple of targets way, way deep...like 9, 10 and one repeating target at 12".
These showed iron and I didn't dig them but I probably should have.
These might have been small iron pieces that were much more shallow and not anywhere that deep but I don't think so...I believe these were actually iron targets that deep.
I think I was using boost at the time, this will work using that too but again...really slow movements of the coil is mandatory.
That fast sweep thing Fishers do to lock on and ID deep targets better thing...forget that.
This has nothing to do with this method from what I can see, not in mineralized soil or areas with lots of trash or iron, the few targets I tried it on were invisible with a fast swing speed over them...this is all about slow to get some small piece of the better targets.
Going slow in dirt I suspect is not even as good as yours I am still hitting really masked good hidden targets at the 6"+ area...so far.
That is about the level of most good deeper targets here but I have found a few in the past that were a bit deeper so I hope to come across another one soon and I will try both DE and boost to see in there is a difference plus check them using other settings to compare.

I thought all metal or monotone would be the deepest here but those depth readings at 9-12" kinda shocked me.

Air testing is fine but sometimes in the real world things might work different...and better.
Go slow...I think you may be surprised at the results.

Plus other cool stuff.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/15/2017 09:32AM by REVIER.

Posted by: nalc472
Date: March 15, 2017 11:09AM
I got a 1900 barber and 1834 CB dime both with the 5 inch stock. Missed the barber with the stock coil. That 5 inch stock always amazes me. Try FA process with the 5 inch stock. I t will unmask like crazy. I think it can go at least 6 inches in FA and maybe 7+ in other conditions. I use 1N a lot so I do not have to hear all the Iron. You will hear the quick beep and then open it up to de or je and find that target. I also have a Sunray probe. I always have to switch from FA to BP because the FA is too fast to use the sunray probe.

Date: March 15, 2017 11:23AM
nalc472
I got a 1900 barber and 1834 CB dime both with the 5 inch stock. Missed the barber with the stock coil. That 5 inch stock always amazes me. Try FA process with the 5 inch stock. I t will unmask like crazy. I think it can go at least 6 inches in FA and maybe 7+ in other conditions. I use 1N a lot so I do not have to hear all the Iron. You will hear the quick beep and then open it up to de or je and find that target. I also have a Sunray probe. I always have to switch from FA to BP because the FA is too fast to use the sunray probe.

Yes, by all means try those processes if you have them, they might make it all work better.
If ya got em, use em...or try them out, anyway.
I don't but that's ok, what I am doing seems to work pretty good and my head is almost exploding trying to remember the many combinations I have up there stored already.
I make do with what I have to work with and I can up my thresh in disc if I want and I do if I can keep my rig quiet but that doesn't happen at all sites so I stay in the negative in those areas.
I still have a million combinations to explore so I am happy.
Simple settings for a simple thinker, I guess.

Plus other cool stuff.

Posted by: fjs440
Date: March 16, 2017 04:38PM
Sorry folks. This is a dummy entry to get it off the NEW Entry category. This may only apply to me. Sorry if it causes any problems.

Date: March 16, 2017 04:55PM
fjs440
Sorry folks. This is a dummy entry to get it off the NEW Entry category. This may only apply to me. Sorry if it causes any problems.

Uhhh...what?
I am easily confused and most of those words did it.
What's a New Entry category?

This thread is about Fishers, the T2 also I guess, and using DP tones to find hidden treasure.
Also any good bar-b-que chicken wing recipes anyone wants to share.

Plus other cool stuff.

Date: March 17, 2017 07:19AM
By new entry I am meaning a red "NEW" on the main list of topics for the Fisher F series, along with the topic being in bold print, and the big red "NEW" on the individual entries for this topic. This particular topic has been great to read. I have enjoyed it, but for some reason it kept showing the red new, along with the bold print, even when nothing new had been added. I read this forum a couple of times a day and this topic said there was something new, even when there wasn't.

My dummy entry was an effort to get rid of the red new. As stupid as it seems, maybe it worked for me. No more red new unless someone did make a new entry. Until it stopped, I was going through all three pages of comments looking for the elusive new entry and not finding it. Only heaven knows why, but it is now fixed.

In retrospect, my entry was probably useless. My computer seems to do whatever it wants. At least now when it shows something new for your topic, I really find a new entry.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/17/2017 07:22AM by fjs440.

Date: March 17, 2017 08:00AM
fjs440
By new entry I am meaning a red "NEW" on the main list of topics for the Fisher F series, along with the topic being in bold print, and the big red "NEW" on the individual entries for this topic. This particular topic has been great to read. I have enjoyed it, but for some reason it kept showing the red new, along with the bold print, even when nothing new had been added. I read this forum a couple of times a day and this topic said there was something new, even when there wasn't.

My dummy entry was an effort to get rid of the red new. As stupid as it seems, maybe it worked for me. No more red new unless someone did make a new entry. Until it stopped, I was going through all three pages of comments looking for the elusive new entry and not finding it. Only heaven knows why, but it is now fixed.

In retrospect, my entry was probably useless. My computer seems to do whatever it wants. At least now when it shows something new for your topic, I really find a new entry.

Ok, I get it now.
The problem was your computer, it went rogue but your post seems to have beat it back into submission...for now.
I am concerned about this red thing.
On threads with added posts I get bold text, it moves up the line to the top of the listings but it is in black.
I don't get any red on my kindle, my phone or on two different computers.
Did you pay extra for this feature, if so how much and can you choose your colors if you can?
A nice deep maroon would be nice for me, maybe a deep red orange which is my favorite color.

Could be I am just color blind to some of the red spectrum and don't know it.
There are new glasses for that problem so that is good.

Plus other cool stuff.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/17/2017 08:01AM by REVIER.

Date: March 17, 2017 09:16AM
On new or updated threads, it does have the bold print. It also has a medium sized red dot just to the left of the thread and a red "new" at the right of the thread title.

My red things have always been there and not at my request. I understand that the bold print tells you something is new or something has been added to the discussion, but how can you tell which are the new additions to the discussion other than being at the end of that thread? Mine have a big red "New" next to the added comment(s).

Fisher F70 w/Fisher 11” DD and NEL Snake Coil
Fisher 1280-X w/8” Coil
Fisher F2 w/4”, 8” and NEL Hunter Coil
Makro Pointer
Killer B Stinger Headphones

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/17/2017 09:19AM by fjs440.

Date: March 17, 2017 10:25AM
Ok...I see them now.
Thought I was going blind.

Plus other cool stuff.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login