Findmall.com

Fisher "F" Series Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Coil Selection
Posted by: kansas_jayhawks
Date: March 21, 2017 08:39PM
What coils would you suggest for an F75?

I believe it comes with an 11" coil ... are there any others that would be something one would want to pickup and add?

If you died today are you prepared for where you will find yourself tomorrow?

Re: Coil Selection
Posted by: WV62
Date: March 21, 2017 09:23PM
For me a must have is at least one of the little coils, either Fisher or after market. I like the little Fisher 5"DD and the 6.5" elliptical concentric, I also have the NEL snake is runs about like the 5"DD.

Ron in WV

Worked and lived in the Huntington West Virginia area all my life, retired 2010
US Air Force Vietnam Veteran (68-69 & 70-71)
Started getting into metal detecting around 1975

Posted by: kansas_jayhawks
Date: March 21, 2017 09:27PM
WV62
For me a must have is at least one of the little coils, either Fisher or after market. I like the little Fisher 5"DD and the 6.5" elliptical concentric, I also have the NEL snake is runs about like the 5"DD.

Ron in WV

My ignorance shows - what are the benefits of the smaller coils?

What does "DD" stand for?

Thanks

If you died today are you prepared for where you will find yourself tomorrow?

Posted by: lytle78
Date: March 21, 2017 10:27PM
Smaller coils see less ground. Two advantages with that, less ground noise and better separation between adjacent targets.

DD coils are better at separation - the downside is that concentric coils ID better and might be a bit deeper.

Rick Kempf

Posted by: Jackpine Savage
Date: March 22, 2017 04:08AM
+1 on the 6.5" elliptical concentric.

Tom

Save the Concentrics

Minelab Advantage, G2, Omega 8500, X-Terra 705, F75 DST and a Fisher ID Edge

Posted by: D&P-OR
Date: March 22, 2017 05:45AM
Snake DD

Posted by: WV62
Date: March 22, 2017 07:40AM
kansas_jayhawks
WV62

Ron in WV

My ignorance shows - what are the benefits of the smaller coils?

What does "DD" stand for?

Thanks

DD stands for Double D, which is the construction type of the coil. With a DD coil if you could see inside the wire windings look like 2 D's with the straight sides back to back. So if you look at a picture of the stock 11"DD coil you will notice it has a straight thick bar down the center of the coil and is curved on the the outer left and right. So with a little emanation it looks like 2 D's back to back. Now that straight bar down the middle of the coil is the hot detection area of the coil which gives better target separation.

Now a concentric coil is made different no mater the the shape of the coil, elliptical, round or oval. These coils still have 2 windings of wires one big one and one small and small one is inside the big one. The detection signal of the coil is like cone and goes down into the ground ending in a point. So if you can get a mental picture of that you can see why the concentric does not do as good a job as a DD coil in separating targets.

In both types of coils there are 2 coils of wire one sends the signal and the other receives the signal back to the detector.

As stated above the little coils will see less ground and less targets at the same time, so the separation is better. The trade off is the depth, the small coils will not detect as deep as the big ones.
So if you are hunting nice clean ground (not a lot of metal trash) the big coil would be the best choice. If you are hunting in a trashy area the little coil will give you a better shot at finding something good in close to the trash.

Ron in WV

Worked and lived in the Huntington West Virginia area all my life, retired 2010
US Air Force Vietnam Veteran (68-69 & 70-71)
Started getting into metal detecting around 1975

Posted by: jim tn
Date: March 22, 2017 07:45AM
The 5" DD Fisher is a laser! A must have coil for the serious trash hunter. HH jim tn

Posted by: REVIER
Date: March 22, 2017 10:39AM
Love my Fisher 5" DD!

"What if doing the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about?”
F70, F2, Compadre, Mojave, Judge2 - 2017....Clad, 15 silver targets including a freaking Barber quarter, a beautiful walker and 4 V nickels...
Plus other cool stuff.

Posted by: nalc472
Date: March 22, 2017 11:37AM
Gotta have the 5 inch stock coil.

Posted by: markg
Date: March 22, 2017 02:00PM
The stock 11"DD coil is the very best all round coil. Extremely fast, between target recovery and very deep to boot. There is a definite advantage of the small 5" coil when working the heavy trash. Amazing what I've pull out in the trashy areas where everyone seems to avoid.

Posted by: Mike Hillis
Date: March 22, 2017 04:18PM
I have the 5" DD, the 3x6" concentric, the 5x10"DD, the stock 11" DD, and a 10X14" RIF Ranger DD.

I find I use the 5x10 DD the most and split the rest of the time between the stock 11" DD and the 10x14" Ranger. The 5" and the 3x6 see hardly any use. If I coin hunted more I'd probably use them more.

HH
Mike

*****Fisher F75 LTD w/DST ***** Whites V3 ***** Teknetics G2+LTD ***** Tesoro Golden/Cleansweep combo *****Teknetics ETPro *****Teknetics Omega 8500***** Tesoro Golden Sabre II *****Tesoro Compadre *****

Posted by: Jackpine Savage
Date: March 22, 2017 07:50PM
Mike

I don't have anything in the 5x10" size range, probably will get one as I liked the performance of the Nel Sharpshooter on the T2 Classic. For a larger than stock coil I went with the 10x13"Mars Tiger.

Now just have to wait for the ground to thaw out.

Tom

Save the Concentrics

Minelab Advantage, G2, Omega 8500, X-Terra 705, F75 DST and a Fisher ID Edge

Posted by: markg
Date: March 23, 2017 07:27AM
Mike Hillis
I have the 5" DD, the 3x6" concentric, the 5x10"DD, the stock 11" DD, and a 10X14" RIF Ranger DD.

I find I use the 5x10 DD the most and split the rest of the time between the stock 11" DD and the 10x14" Ranger. The 5" and the 3x6 see hardly any use. If I coin hunted more I'd probably use them more.

HH
Mike

Always wondered about the 5x10 DD coil, but been reluctant in buying another coil. Thought I might try one in the future. I got on board with the very first F75 and still today reach for it when going most places. I too have found very little use for the 5" DD coil except for the super heavy trash areas. The depth really drops off with this coil in my bad ground. I might have to ask Tinfoil to let me try his for a week and see if it is an asset.

Posted by: MI-AuAg
Date: March 23, 2017 08:55AM
kansas_jayhawks
What coils would you suggest for an F75?

I believe it comes with an 11" coil ... are there any others that would be something one would want to pickup and add?

If you are buying the current F75 Ltd, it comes with the 5" round, as well as the 11". That is all you will need for most applications. At it's recently reduced price, it is an excellent value IMO.

At some point you may want to add a larger, or intermediate size, but, those two will be all you need for most situations.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login