Findmall.com

Fisher "F" Series Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
about li-ion batteries and the F series
Posted by: dfmike
Date: June 30, 2017 04:53PM
I'm still using alkaline batteries in my detectors but the price of good 9v batteries is starting to get me down. I'm about to switch to rechargeables. The manual states that ni-mh can be used. Are li-ion batteries OK ? Thanks.

Active detectors: Fisher F19 LTD, Nokta Fors CoRe, Makro pointer and way too many coils.
Previous detectors: Bounty Hunter Discovery, Fisher F44, Omega 8000 V6, Minelab X-Terra 705, Fisher F5

Re: about li-ion batteries and the F series
Posted by: still looking 52
Date: June 30, 2017 06:21PM
Mike, both my brothers use rechargeable batteries in their detectors and they are the F70 and the F75 without any problems. My F5 goes forever on two nine volt batteries. I get over 40 hours on a set. I finally let my batteries in my F5 get low enough to figure out how it would show that the batteries are getting low, what happens is the volt meter starts oscillating up and down instead of staying steady.

Posted by: MarkCZ
Date: July 01, 2017 03:47PM
Well your not getting a lot of responses to your post so, lets see if I can help.

9 Volts DC (battery) is 9 Volts!
The ma's only means a longer or shorter run time, so a 250ma isn't going to last as long as a 500ma battery will.

I don't see the need for li-ion batteries in a metal detector I'd say there better served in maybe medical equipment, but they will work in your detector.
I use the newer Ni-Mh LSD (Low Self Discharge) and a little smart charger for them and they work great, with the low self discharge
they even work for a back up set, they have about a one year shelve life.

They are lots of good rechargeable's on the market and the ones I found to stay away from are the Rayovac's.
Below is a picture of what I use and I order them from batteryjunction dot com.
These will last several LONG DAY HUNTS for sure, or until your arm falls off, which comes first.

Mark

Date: July 01, 2017 06:14PM
Thanks Mark. I saw those on Amazon for a reasonable price. The only reason I thought about going li-ion was because of the mah ratings which seem to favor the li-ion batteries by a long shot. Most of the ni-mh types that I have seen don't have the same amount of power reserve. The li-ion I was looking at are rated at 600 mah and some are even higher than that. Since you mention the ni-mh's will last several long day hunts, it's good enough for me.

Active detectors: Fisher F19 LTD, Nokta Fors CoRe, Makro pointer and way too many coils.
Previous detectors: Bounty Hunter Discovery, Fisher F44, Omega 8000 V6, Minelab X-Terra 705, Fisher F5

Posted by: sprchng
Date: July 02, 2017 03:27PM
I have been using the EBL lithium 600mah in my Garrettt pinpointer for a couple of years or so and they are amazing. I bought them when I still had the CZ3d and kept the batteries when I sold it and hadn't charged them for a couple of years. The first trip in the Garrett and one lasted for 4 months of heavy detecting before it finally quit. I always carry a spare in my pouch because when they die , they die quickly and completely , no detecting for a half hour after the first warning:nono:

Date: July 02, 2017 05:58PM
Thanks sprchng. Those are the ones I had in mind at first. There is a good sale on those EBL for 2 with charger. The ni-mh types by the same company are a little bit more expensive. Not sure why.

Date: July 02, 2017 06:56PM
That doesn't make sense but , who knows?
EBL also has a 280 mAh battery in 9v , I made that mistake the first time and have never used them

Date: July 06, 2017 07:22PM
sprchng
That doesn't make sense but , who knows?
EBL also has a 280 mAh battery in 9v , I made that mistake the first time and have never used them

Ordered those EBL's before I read your last post (the ni-mh kind. I got them today. They were charged when I got them. I put them in my F19 and did about 3 hours of hunting. The display still shows 3 bars out of 3. I'm hoping they will last me at least about 9-10 hours before I need to recharge.

Posted by: always diggin 2
Date: July 07, 2017 09:47PM
EBL 855 4 Bay 9V Li-ion Battery Charger with 4 Pack 600mAh 9V 6F22 Low Self-Discharge Lithium-ion Rechargeable Batteries

Price: $62.99
Sale: $21.99 & FREE Shipping on orders over $25. Details
You Save: $41.00 (65%)
In Stock
Sold by EBL official and Fulfilled by Amazon. Gift-wrap available.
Size: 9V + Charger

• Battery: 6F22 9V 600mAh rechargeable li-ion batteries
• Package: 4 pack rechargeable 9V battery and a 9V li-ion battery charger
• This charger can charge 1~4 pcs 9V li-ion battery
• Recommended for smoke alarms, professional audio and medical devices
• Only charging for one or more 9v Lithium battery,do not charging for other type of batteries

I BEEN USING THESE IN MY F2 FOR OVER TWO YEARS NOW.. LOVE UM NEVER A PROBLEM..

Started detecting Oct 2010 w/Tracker 4; March 2011 upgraded to F2; Compadre; Leashe; Makro PP; F44

Posted by: juit
Date: July 09, 2017 06:29PM
Powerex 9.6 volt the other mentioned are 8 volts

Minelab 705
Nokta relic
Fisher CZ5
Whites m6

Date: July 09, 2017 07:38PM
juit
Powerex 9.6 volt the other mentioned are 8 volts
Now you going over the 9volt rating!
An electronic device that's built to run on 9volts actually operates at a range of 5 -7 volts, there is a regulator that cuts out the over voltage, but its only rated to do so to a certain point then the regulator burns out.
9.6volts, or 24 volts isn't going to give your detector more power, or more run time, but at some point enough over voltage can damage the regulator.

Mark

Avatar, Me and my two brothers from left to right!

WV62 - MarkCZ - Still Looking 52

Date: July 09, 2017 08:00PM
Never said anything about power, try using a rechargable 8.2 volt on a pointer :)

Minelab 705
Nokta relic
Fisher CZ5
Whites m6

Date: July 09, 2017 08:23PM
juit
Never said anything about power, try using a rechargable 8.2 volt on a pointer :)

I've only used the rechargeable's that I mentioned above in my Pro-pointer sense it was NEW and they work PERFECT!
I've not seen a device that runs on a 9 volt DC (in modern times) that doesn't work correctly above 7 volts, I know that at lest two of my detectors that operated on 9 volt batteries didn't give a LOW battery warning until the 5volt range, meaning that they actually operated at 5 volts.

The 9.6volt may be fine, but I question the over voltage more than I would the under 9volts.

Mark

Date: July 09, 2017 09:08PM
I was actually a bit disappointed when I checked the voltage on my lithium EBL batteries after charging and they only maxed out at about 8.5 to 8.7. The difference is that they maintain that voltage FOREVER , and it's plenty to run a pinpointer or anything else I have put them in. There's is no comparison to alkaline just like there's no comparing deep cycle lead acid or AGM type batteries to the new lithium batteries,,,,except the cost. A 12 volt trolling motor battery that's lithium will deliver the full 12 volts until it is exhausted without injuring the battery and can be recharged thousands of times while a SLA battery has the voltage begin tapering down after about 50% discharge , and draining it much more than that starts damaging the battery itself which is why the lead acid batteries have such a short recharging cycle before they are toast. Clearly the lithium have a more costly initial investment but they pay for themselves quickly in far better performance and endurance if you are going to use them at all.

Date: July 09, 2017 09:34PM
So the powerx, they mantain the 9 volt more time ive been using them for a while in paintball guns theve never let me down

Minelab 705
Nokta relic
Fisher CZ5
Whites m6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login