Findmall.com

Fisher "F" Series Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Found a nice peice of costume jewelry
Posted by: Mike Hillis
Date: July 11, 2017 01:46PM
This was an interesting ring find.

I was out and about with my F75 LTD Sunday morning and found this ring. I thought at first it was junk but closer inspection revealed that it is marked " Sterling Shank" with a jeweler's mark. I had never found a ring mark Sterling Shank before so I had to research it. The band is silver and the stone mounting is silver plated. Its not a continuous band either. Its cut out at the top and the stone mounting is dropped in the notch and soldered in place. That would explain the zinc VDI reading it gave me.

I haven't identified the stone yet. Probably glass.

Researching the jeweler's mark its a 1947 Vargas peice. Sombody got in grandma's jewelry box.

Anyway,,,,I thought it was a neat find and thought I'd share.

HH
Mike

*****Fisher F75 LTD w/DST ***** Whites V3 ***** Teknetics G2+LTD ***** Tesoro NT Golden/Cleansweep combo *****Teknetics ETPro *****

*****Teknetics Omega 8500*****Tesoro Golden Sabre II with VDI & Histograph *****Tesoro Compadre *****

Re: Found a nice peice of costume jewelry
Posted by: jim tn
Date: July 11, 2017 03:31PM
Ha, I am setting here looking at the same type of ring I've had setting on my desk since I found a while back. Mine is minus the stone, smaller then yours and the mount part is corroded. On the band is marked sterling shank. Neat and interesting find, Mike. HH jim tn

Posted by: jim tn
Date: July 11, 2017 05:32PM
Mike, thanks for the jewelry link. I was able to id the makers mark. Good hunting to you. HH jim tn

Posted by: dfmike
Date: July 11, 2017 06:38PM
There's something about blue and silver that always works. No matter the value it looks really nice.

Active detectors: Fisher F5 , Fisher F19 LTD, Nokta Fors CoRe, Makro pointer and way too many coils.
Previous detectors: Bounty Hunter Discovery, Fisher F44, Omega 8000 V6, Minelab X-Terra 705

Mike, that is one BEAUTIFUL ring!
Posted by: Tony N (Michigan)
Date: July 13, 2017 06:45AM
Never underestimate a stone.
A guy's dad died on a farm (this is a true story he told me). The son when to his dad's farm to collect his dad's things and on top of the chest of drawers found some jewelry in a box.
He gathered it up and his eye caught a tie tack with a huge yellow glass looking stone in it. So he put it on and took the jewelry to the jewelry store to see if any of it was worth anything.
The jeweler said most of it is just cheap jewelry. Then the jeweler asked about the tie tack. The guy said, Oh, it was just on my dad's chest of drawers like the other jewelry. Probably just junk too.
The jeweler asked to look at it. The jeweler said it is a yellow diamond and offered him $30,000.00 for it on the spot. So you just never know!

Posted by: markg
Date: July 13, 2017 01:18PM
Awesome find and thanks for the link.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login