Findmall.com

Nautilus Detector Users Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Pawn Shop DMC 2Ba(should have bought it)
Posted by: Digging Fool
Date: September 26, 2011 12:18PM
My wife and I were coming through NC this past Saturday, and I stopped at a Pawn shop. They had a decent-looking DMC 2ba with a huge coil for 250.00. It was missing the "top" knob on the double-knob control. That's all I saw wrong with it, but you could still turn it with the stem. Other than that, it was clean. I talked the guy down to 175.00 cash, and then didn't get it. I have too many machines, and relic hunt alot. Never owned a Nautilus and always wanted one. Did I screw-up by not getting this? Thanks.

Re: Pawn Shop DMC 2Ba(should have bought it)
Posted by: leslie
Date: September 26, 2011 12:41PM
Yes, go back and snap his hand off,.you may never get another chance of buying one.

Posted by: brnn53
Date: September 26, 2011 04:51PM
That would have been a hellva deal if the machine had no problems. And most of them don't. Usually the coil needs to be re-tuned if anything. Depends on what kind of dirt you dig in but other than the red dirt around Culpepper Va. these machines are relic monsters. Takes a few trips to get used to the settings and signals but once learned, they are easy to use. Go back and get it! Heck if it needs a tune up Steve and co. in Coats can fix you right up. Better yet, tell me which pawn shop you were at and I'll go get it!
Mike :smile:

Date: September 26, 2011 09:28PM
Thanks. All I know is that it was at a Pawn Shop near New Bern, NC. I'm in Va, so it's too far to go back. We went to Atlantic Beach, via Moorhead City way, and it was somewhere on the road closer to New Bern(coming home), if I remember right. I'd have to look to see which road I was on. Oddly enough, there was another pawn shop closer to Moorhead City, but not far from that pawn shop, and they had a Nautilus DMC also, but it wasn't tha "a" model. That one was cheaper, but showed more signs of wear. Both machines had the "newer" style shafts(with arm-cup). I can tell you that coming from the beach, we went over the Moorhead City bridge, and turned left toward home. that road goes toward New Bern. both of these shops were on the right going toward NB. A friend of mine has an older Nautilus(with the old curved u-shaped handle). He says it has a large coil on it, and he hasn't used it in 20 years. He says it's about a 30 year old machine. He doesn't even know if it still works, but if I can get that one and mount the electronics on a better shaft, I may do that. I can probably get it for 100.00 or so, if it works.

Posted by: Shenandoah Digger
Date: September 30, 2011 07:51PM
Well I had a IIb a while back and sold it 4 years later for $200 less than I bought it for new. I just picked up a IIba a few weeks ago for $250, and it looks like new. For whatever reason the Nautilus machines don't have the resale value they used to have. A nice IIba on ebay never got a bid. I don't get it, but I'll never let go of mine. Only a high dollar PI will beat it, and if you tune the Nautilus right you can dig like crazy even in Culpeper dirt. I've dug bullets and buttons at DIV behind other machines when everyone told me the Nautilus would only work in mild soil. If you learn how to use it it will work in about any soil.

Date: October 01, 2011 07:03PM
Thanks! I've seen some junky ones since the trip to the beach, with missing knobs, scratched-all up, etc, and the people all want like 250 for them. If I could find a nice clean one that works good, I may would pay that for one, but I left the "deal" down in NC, regretably.

Date: October 03, 2011 08:34PM
If you're patient another great deal will come along. Nautilus machines go up for sale on a fairly regular basis and rarely get bought.

Posted by: Dirt Poor
Date: October 04, 2011 07:49PM
Shenandoah Digger
If you're patient another great deal will come along. Nautilus machines go up for sale on a fairly regular basis and rarely get bought.
You're right. There hasn't been one on e-bay in quite a while now. When you put "Nautilus metal detector' in the search box, all that comes up is a pair of Gray Ghost headphones(unless one has been put on this afternoon). Usually, you can search and find ANYTHING on fee-bay, so I was very surprised not to see one on there in the last week or so.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/04/2011 07:50PM by Dirt Poor.

Date: October 05, 2011 07:10AM
Yep and those Gray Ghosts are way overpriced.

Posted by: husabergchuck
Date: October 31, 2011 09:50PM
i bought it saturday read your post and drove up from burgaw nc stoped at every pawn shop and found it thanks for the tip digging fool..... husaberg chuck

Date: November 01, 2011 05:02AM
Cool! Glad you got it. I'm surprised it was still there. Have you tried it out yet?

Posted by: husabergchuck
Date: November 02, 2011 10:04AM
found a old ring at 10 to 12 in. at a civil war earthen works site no stone an very thin my friends minelab excaluber did not see it. its going to take some time to learn but i will keep it thanks again diggin fool husabergchuck

Date: November 02, 2011 06:33PM
Glad you're liking it! I located one locally that doesn't work. It looks good, and was working fine years ago, but after coming out of storage, it won't work. If I can get it cheap, I'll send it off to get it fixed. Good Luck around the earthworks. :thumbup:

Posted by: ganixle
Date: November 26, 2011 06:56PM
I am reading that the coils need to be re-tuned from time to time on a Nauty....what does that entail? Thinking of buying one...how do you know if the coil is out of tune? Thanks.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login