Findmall.com

Nautilus Detector Users Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Nautilus in the iron
Posted by: Jerry Ga.
Date: August 09, 2005 09:54PM
We all read the post's about how well brand T's detectors hunt in the iron laden early house sites, but I am assuming that the Nautilus with the 6" head would do well in iron trash also. Has anyone used the 6 inch on the IIb or IIBa in these conditions? I witnessed a friend pull a nice US plate out of a junky camp with a DMC IIb/ 6" coil a couple of years ago.
Jerry

Re: Nautilus in the iron
Posted by: Jbird
Date: August 11, 2005 02:21PM
This is strictly just one mans opinion. I have owned quite a few T's and was once a dealer for a short period of time. I still use an old GSII for coin hunting and even using it with the notch sytem turned on, it often turns up a coin and a nail (or other iron item) out of the same hole. Lots of other detectors, with that much discrimination cranked into them, are not going to be able to do that. My other T's were all good at pulling coins out of iron too. There is no doubt that they are some of the best machines for hunting iron infested sites.....but I think the Nautilus can beat them......depending on the skill of the operator.

Different people hunt different ways and I think most of them just wont a machine that stays quiet untill it beeps over a good target. They for sure dont wont to hear a signal for every target in the ground like the Nautilus gives you when its in the dual modes. They just dont wont to hear all that noise. You can turn off the all metal side of the Nautilus and just use the discrimination side and it is an excellent silent search motion discriminator but when you do that, you have eliminated the main feature of the Nautilus, its dual mode system. The dual mode system, where you are hearing an all metal signal and discrimination signal at the same time, is what gives the Nautilus the advantage in hunting iron infested sites.

Standard motion discriminators have an awful lot of "filtering" taking place. As long as the coil is in motion, it is filtering out the sound of the ground minerals. Then when you crank in some discrimination, it has to filter out the sounds of the type of targets you have discriminated plus the ground minerals. If you move the coil too fast, you are craming in so much ground mineral sounds that they can override some of the targets sounds. If you pass over a combination of discriminated target/good target, it has to filter out the sound of the discriminated target and give you a beep on the good target......all at the same time.

With the Nautilus dual mode system, you hear the discriminator signal and an all metal signal at the same time and can use the all metal signal to gain some more information about the target. There is no "filtering" of the target signal on the all metal side of the Nautilus if you have the auto-tune switch off. With practice, you can learn to use the all metal signal to tell you four things about a target....Size, Shape, Conductance and Depth. This takes some practice but if you dont learn to do this, you are not using the Nautilus to its full advantage.

At really cluttered iron sites, I usually double check my coil balance and ground balance frequently, turn down my coil voltage to six (its lowest voltage), set discrimination sensitivity down to about 6 (sometimes lower) and all metal sensitivity at 3 (sometimes a little lower at about 2.5). I dont have any civil war type sites around here with deep iron stuff so Im talking about heavily littered shallow iron sites like old yards. I usually set discrimination to about 15/17, just enough to kick out small nails. As you can see, Im going to get a discrimination signal on damned near everything in the ground and an all metal signal on everything. A whole lot of noise taking place there :-) but this is the only way I know of to make full use of the Nautilus's capabilities. The six inch coil is small enough to let me isolate most individual targets and listen to their sounds. By comparing the sounds of both modes, I can recognize a target as iron or whether its low conductance, medium conductance or high conductance. Most of the target information is in the all metal signal and with the right coil manipulation, I can check out its size and shape and make a guesstimate of its depth.

I got to admit that there are days when I just dont have the time....or just aint in the mood,,,,, for all that detailed target analysis and will just cruise a site with the motion discriminator mode of the Nautilus (or a T or some other motion discriminator) picking out what good targets I can get. But after I finally (maybe) learned to make full use of the Nautilus's dual mode capabilities, I think it has to be recognized as one of the better machines for grubbing good stuff out of the iron.

Re: Nautilus in the iron
Posted by: Jerry Ga.
Date: August 11, 2005 06:49PM
Thank you Jbird for your response and very helpful and informative tips on the Nautilus. Time after time I have seen the IIb score when other brands could not seem to hit anything. There has to be more to it than coincidence or luck, or even operator skill. I tend to think that Nautilus has been ahead of the pack for years. It is not for everyone but in the right hands it can clean house, (literally) house sites that is!
HH, Jerry

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login