Findmall.com

Nautilus Detector Users Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Nautilus with AA batts
Posted by: nautieurope
Date: April 30, 2014 07:21AM
I thought people might be interested in a battery conversion I've done to my IIB. I've changed the detector to run on 12 x 1.5v "AA". I did this for the following reasons. Replacing 4 PP3s gets expensive, the 12 AAs cost about 40% less here in Europe. I reckon that my batt life should be much much longer, I will now keep a log of my hours to see if this proves so. And finally looks, I think it looks much better.

If anyone wants to do the same, its very simple, you dont even need a soldering iron. Just open up the box, cut the two power wires and connect them to the new 18v battery supply.

Re: Nautilus with AA batts
Posted by: filternozzle
Date: April 30, 2014 10:07AM
That's an excellent idea, I am sure there will be plenty of interest from Nautilus users especially those in the UK. Does it alter the balance much?

Happy Hunting
Minelab GPX-5000 - Backup GPX-4500 with a very large selection of coils.

Date: April 30, 2014 03:23PM
The set-up adds more weight but the balance is still good.

Posted by: bigchuckinva
Date: May 01, 2014 11:26PM
Years ago when DMC2B first came out a friends did same type using different batty such as 1.5 AA. I recall that first you must use Alkaline and Energizer/ Dur-cell. My Friend stated he ran few voltage and had few AA cells that took much voltage drain ,and power to running DC2B give no sign battery where getting weak and machine just audio went dead You will not get long hours such using standard Four 9V Alkaline which 20 hours. My friend experience stated excess power drain due higher transmit power made the use AA used unrealisable and could affect performance and reliability if use until over 10 hrs. This info I was provided years ago, Not to knock you attempt to save on money in UK. Have ever try get 9 V /' 8.4MM rechargeable system charger for DMC2B . I used many years and save money and have recharged system jack built info DMC2B /@BA . Chuck

Date: May 02, 2014 07:36AM
Thanks for the comments. I dont see why it should be less reliable, etc than the 4 x 9v set up, mine and the original are both providing operating voltage of 18v. I will let you know how it goes with my new battery system.

Date: October 16, 2014 01:32AM
nautieurope
Thanks for the comments. I dont see why it should be less reliable, etc than the 4 x 9v set up, mine and the original are both providing operating voltage of 18v. I will let you know how it goes with my new battery system.

How has the new battery system worked out?

Happy Hunting

Inquiring minds want to know.N/T
Posted by: Camp Pollard
Date: October 16, 2014 09:42AM

(This message does not contain any text.)

Date: October 30, 2014 01:45PM
So far so good, I reckon I have clocked up 25hrs with it so far, still going strong

Date: October 31, 2014 06:30PM
Ì would say the modification looks good for those who do not like the batteries exposed or wish to use the AA battery rather than the PP3

Happy Hunting

Posted by: UK Brian
Date: November 13, 2014 03:58AM
Just can't see the point to this modification.

In the years since the introduction of the II-B (15 hours alkaline, 7.5 hours nicad) rechargable battery life has almost doubled and battery cost has dropped dramatically.

My £20 set of rechargables from over three years back is still going strong. A similar set today would be £12. You have a charging point on the detector so why not use it and save weight, money and the fiddle of carrying a screwdriver ?

Posted by: forrestgump
Date: November 13, 2014 06:15PM
I'm with Brian. The reason the batteries are "exposed" is to make it easy and fast to change them in the field, as well as limit damage from leaking, should that occur.

Date: November 14, 2014 12:15AM
forrestgump
I'm with Brian. The reason the batteries are "exposed" is to make it easy and fast to change them in the field, as well as limit damage from leaking, should that occur.

What you say is correct. However, I have met people who on seeing the batteries on the outside immediately lost interest in the detector.

Happy Hunting

Posted by: UK Brian
Date: November 15, 2014 07:10AM
Which is a good thing !

Posted by: forrestgump
Date: November 17, 2014 10:26PM
This isn't news here but Nautilus was always designed to be a relic detector. I suppose you could call it a "niche" machine. Its construction is in keeping with what is expected of a detector that sees hard use in the field. So, the milspec parts, the robust construction, the frequency, battery setup- were all chosen for what it was expected to do. While it excels as a coin detector (and one model, The Silver King was specifically designed for that role), Nautilus' bread and butter was always sales to relichunters, mainly in the Southern US. So, in addition to being limited by the niche, the niche was also a regional one, which meant that the detector never really reached the larger market. That worked out well for the small company that made it, and for us. It's still the best relicdetector to be had when used in good soils, and still runs circles around the overpriced plastic touchscreen models that are always hyped as the greatest thing going. Pretty amazing for a circuit that hasn't really changed in 25 years.

Posted by: bigchuckinva
Date: November 18, 2014 12:23AM
Jerry Tyndall has been ask same in regards all his machine even early model Battery placed on outside and why use 9V Batteries . The use no wires outside box and no clip you see all other brands will wear out do flexing. I have never had a battery holder clip fail on fail hunting even I worse condition Rain, Sleet .Snow. The more batteries you have more connection problems and weight added . As all design of Nautilus Machined for Hard Core Relic Hunt . Relic Hunting are fair different bread that use the DMC Models, No Bells. Whistles , Meters ., Jerry Tyndall made all his machine's , keep simple, super deep and take a beating!!!!!!!! Chuck

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login