Findmall.com

Nautilus Detector Users Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Question about the Nautilus DMC IIB
Posted by: ThunderDome
Date: July 24, 2014 05:09PM
I just purchased what appears to be a semi new Nautilus DMC IIB that is in near perfect condition, what is throwing me off though is the fact that it I was under the impression that after Jerry Tyndall sold the company, all metal detectors under the name of Nautilus were manufactured without the name of Tyndall Electronics on the box. I have a DMC IIBA that has the phone number, Box 818 29 W. Lemon St. Coats NC. The DMC IIB I just bought has Tyndall Electronics, Box 818, 115 E. Main St. Coats NC. This machine works perfect and does not look old at all, Is there a way of deciphering the serial number to figure out how old it is? Here are some pics of both of my Nautilus machines. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Re: Question about the Nautilus DMC IIB
Posted by: filternozzle
Date: July 24, 2014 05:49PM
I would think it is an old machine that has hardly been used. I'd be interested to know the thickness of the coil? The thicker coils seem to keep better than the later coils which are thinner.

Happy Hunting
Minelab GPX-5000 - Backup GPX-4500 with a very large selection of coils.

Date: July 24, 2014 06:03PM
From what I have read about Nautilus machines and Jerry Tyndall, I would have thought that too. Take a look at the arm cuff, its made of plastic where the older machines are metal. He also had told me that it was only a few years old and he had got it from Kellyco, that's why I wanted to try and figure out the serial number. I will post a pic of the coil as soon as I can. It is an 8 in.

Date: July 24, 2014 08:14PM
Some more pics of the DMC IIB

Posted by: bigchuckinva
Date: July 24, 2014 11:21PM
You are luck you have one early made DMC2B . The old thicker coil are far more better then current thinner coil which need more maintenance. You luck out get older DMC2B in such good condition, most older DMC2B are more stable and some better depth then one made with last 2 years! Chuck

Posted by: nautieurope
Date: July 25, 2014 02:19AM
Yes looks like an old one in vgc. The vernier dials are also less shiny on the later ones.

Posted by: filternozzle
Date: July 25, 2014 09:43AM
Looks like you have got hold of a really nice older machine, you are very fortunate.

Happy Hunting
Minelab GPX-5000 - Backup GPX-4500 with a very large selection of coils.

Date: July 25, 2014 09:38PM
So, is there anyway to decipher the serial number to see what date it was manufactured?

Posted by: Camp Pollard
Date: July 26, 2014 12:46AM
I don't know. I have a iib with serial # 00615 it was made in 1995.

serial number under box engraved on the stem
Posted by: jtalley007
Date: August 03, 2014 01:16PM
Hope that helps

Posted by: virginia digger
Date: August 28, 2014 02:38PM
Your out of luck on the serial number. I have owned Nautilus machines for over 30 years. You used to be able to call Dottie (Jerry's wife) and she would look up the serial number. She would tell you the exact date that unit was made. Jerry and Dottie were the nicest folks to talk with. I still wish SOMEONE with the skills and money could resurrect the compy. Everyone would sell their fancy XP Deus, F75 and the rest of them to have a lighter modern machine with all the features.

Posted by: Harold,ILL.
Date: July 08, 2015 06:24PM
New or old there is no way that is an original plastic arm cup they are all metal. That is one thing about Nautilus they never use cheap plastic as that looks like it came off a Bounty Hunter. Also they never used plastic wing nuts on the coil's.

Posted by: NCdon
Date: February 03, 2016 09:08PM
Would you sell any of your nautilus machines?

Donald

Posted by: bigchuckinva
Date: February 03, 2016 09:46PM
No Hold on Them! The older models thicker coil are the best!.

Posted by: alsgas
Date: February 05, 2016 12:15AM
I'm no expert but look at your serial number and AFTER the number it will say 'IR' or not--IR is internal resistor- and that means in the search coil--in remembering they wont interchange-then you have several different wires -like 4-5 8 etc--?? I don't know what interchanges but not all the same

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login