Findmall.com

Nautilus Detector Users Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Coil balance with a coin?
Posted by: filternozzle
Date: February 09, 2016 04:26AM
Can anyone help. I seem to remember someone saying the coil could be balanced by placing a coin somewhere on the top surface of the coil. Does the coin have to be silver or copper? And where on the coil should it be placed?

Happy Hunting
Minelab GPX-5000 - Backup GPX-4500 with a very large selection of coils.

Re: Coil balance with a coin?
Posted by: virginia digger
Date: February 09, 2016 05:58AM
The coin was epoxied on the top of the coil. This was done at Nautilus instead of opening up the coil and and making the repair internally. I'm sure they used test equipment to know where to place the coin. Hope this helps.

Posted by: jlfann
Date: February 09, 2016 04:45PM
i had it done and it is putting a band -aid on a deep cut. it works for awhile. i would send it to jtalley and let him do it the right way.

You follow the same procedure with an O-scope just not opening the coil
Posted by: jtalley007
Date: February 15, 2016 05:19AM
Filter nozzle, so far playing with it I have not been able to balance them from the outside with a coin. It takes a different type of coin depending on how far out it is.
I know they did it at times at the factory so it may depend on how far out it is, if too far may have to be open ended?
I will experiment and let you know. If I could master that I would consider fixing some again.

Re: You follow the same procedure with an O-scope just not opening the coil
Posted by: filternozzle
Date: February 15, 2016 04:33PM
Jtalley007 many thanks for your efforts. I wish you luck with your experiments.

Happy Hunting
Minelab GPX-5000 - Backup GPX-4500 with a very large selection of coils.

Re: You follow the same procedure with an O-scope just not opening the coil
Posted by: allgirls
Date: February 15, 2016 04:57PM
I believe Jerry and Don used a quarter if I remember right.

Posted by: rockyj
Date: June 16, 2016 01:35AM
Once a coil goes out of balance, as long as it doesn't go out too far it can be brought back into balance with a coin..A penny or a dime will work..The coil has to be put on a scope to watch the sine wave reach a straight line. Jerry Tyndel taught me how to build coils back in 1980..yep 36 yrs ago..His first water coils were made out of wood. Jerry Tyndel was beyond a genius..he's the first one to discover discrimination.. he put it on his machine and Garrett stole the circuit a year later.. Jerry had 2 pet albino squirrels that had the run of his house..I had one grey squirrel as a pet. Jerry and I became the best of friends when he found out I had a pet squirrel also..Lots of great memories being Jerry's close friend.

Btw - Jerry came up with the idea to put the receiver in the coil..no one ever copied that design..that's one reason His coils would go far deeper than any others...If he's still alive, I'd like to know. Thanks

Posted by: rockyj
Date: June 17, 2016 10:22PM
rockyj
Once a coil goes out of balance, as long as it doesn't go out too far it can be brought back into balance with a coin..A penny or a dime will work..The coil has to be put on a scope to watch the sine wave reach a straight line. Jerry Tyndel taught me how to build coils back in 1990..yep 26 yrs ago..His first water coils were made out of wood. Jerry Tyndel was beyond a genius..he's the first one to discover discrimination.. he put it on his machine and Garrett stole the circuit a year later.. Jerry had 2 pet albino squirrels that had the run of his house..I had one grey squirrel as a pet. Jerry and I became the best of friends when he found out I had a pet squirrel also..Lots of great memories being Jerry's close friend.

Btw - Jerry came up with the idea to put the receiver in the coil..no one ever copied that design..that's one reason His coils would go far deeper than any others...If he's still alive, I'd like to know. Thanks

I've since learned that He passed away.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login