Findmall.com

Nautilus Detector Users Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Nautilus Lithium ion batteries?
Posted by: Harold,ILL.
Date: March 26, 2016 11:48AM
Anyone ever use the new lithium ion 9 volt rechargable batteries ? Some say you can't use them is this true? Thanks.

Re: Nautilus Lithium ion batteries?
Posted by: Search and recovery
Date: April 10, 2016 08:54PM
Harold, I did a lot of reading on the 9 volt rechargeables and the only reason I can see for not being able to use them is that most of the older style ones were either 7.2 volts or 8.4 volts in the NIHM style and they did not hold their charge for long once charged, and the power steadily decreased as you were using them, causing lack of detecting depth the weaker the battery got during a days use. The Lithium ion batteries do a better job of running longer, but require a special charger or they can swell and even explode from recharging. So the charger plug on the Nautilus would be of no use with this type of battery.
There may be hope for what you are looking for however, as I just ordered a set of Maha Imedion 9 volt (9.6 volt) 230 mAh low discharge rechargable NIHM batteries. $10.97 each from Thomas Distributing. 9.6 volt batteries tend to be ever so slightly larger than a typical 9 volt battery, but should fit in a Nautilus detector without any problem. The advantages to these newer style of NIMH battery are many. They hold 85% of their charge after six months of sitting on the shelf and 75% of charge after 12 months in storage.. Once discharged for an extended period of time most batteries will not take a charge. These batteries will recharge even after months of being discharged if advertising is correct. They will not leak if left for long periods of time. They are good for up to 1000 charges. They can be charged on any good charger for NIHM batteries so I would think no problem for the Nautilus plug in, but I would still recommend a smart charger as it monitors each battery individually for a full charge. There is no possible over heating or explosion risk.
Now the real plus is even lithium ion batteries slowly get weaker as you run them through a days use. These NIHM charge up to 9.6 volts. After a couple of minutes use they drop to 9 volts. They then run for hours at a steady 9 volts, then drop off quickly in their last ten minutes of life. That translates into full depth from your detector all day long without worry. The 9.6 volt peak will not harm your detector as they are tested with a 20% over voltage at the factory from what I have read. They will also last longer than your brand name nonrechargable alkaline batteries.
I will post an update to this after I have tried these new style of NIHM batteries myself. I hope this is helpful to you and others as information on the confusing subject of rechargable batteries has been a bear to decifer from the information available on the Internet. Most of the information came from an electrical engineer as he had all the equipment necessary to run the batteries under load in hour long cycles. Wish I could remember where the post originated as it is a very informative article...Stuart

Posted by: filternozzle
Date: April 11, 2016 05:26AM
I have been using the Imedion 9.6V 230 mAh by Powerex for about 18 months now on my Nautilus detectors and can report no problems at all. They work very well and are no problem in fitting.

Happy Hunting
Minelab GPX-5000 - Backup GPX-4500 with a very large selection of coils.

Date: April 11, 2016 12:40PM
Thanks for that information Filternozzle. Do you use the charger plug on the Nautilus, or remove and use a smart charger on your 9.6 volt batteries?

Posted by: filternozzle
Date: April 11, 2016 05:19PM
Search and recovery
Thanks for that information Filternozzle. Do you use the charger plug on the Nautilus, or remove and use a smart charger on your 9.6 volt batteries?

I remove them from the Nautilus and use a smart charger.

Happy Hunting
Minelab GPX-5000 - Backup GPX-4500 with a very large selection of coils.

Date: April 12, 2016 06:43PM
Thanks Filternozzle.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login