Findmall.com

Whatzit Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Found on the beach. Is it gold?
Posted by: kpeterk
Date: September 14, 2009 02:26PM
I found this at Daytona Beach Shores yesterday with my Whites PI. Didn't think much of it but put it in my pocket. After leaving, I gave it a closer look. Seems like it could be gold but I'm not sure. It is not magnetic, and not rusty. I thought it may be pyrite and heard that if you hit pyrite with a hammer, it will shatter. Well, after hitting it with a hammer, it doesn't shatter but bends. Weighs 1/3 ounce. What do you guys think?

NO..
Posted by: Jim West Pa
Date: September 14, 2009 03:08PM
it's a Philidelphia minted quarter. :poke:

Looks like gold and a bit o' quartz to me.

Am i proud to be an American ?
Why no.........
I am humbled to be an American.
Tho, as of late, sometimes embarassed.

At birth, God bestowed upon each of us the most important responsibility there is...................free will.

Re: Found on the beach. Is it gold?
Posted by: GoGoGopher
Date: September 14, 2009 06:19PM
Looks like Gold and Quarts to me also...have it acid tested at a Jewlers, and then you will know for sure...

HH,

Posted by: edjcox
Date: September 14, 2009 08:49PM
Just tell me if it was a California beach... ?

Posted by: kpeterk
Date: September 14, 2009 09:19PM
No, Florida East coast. Why?

Posted by: edjcox
Date: September 16, 2009 05:09PM
Geology

Calfifornia has nugget scources, Florida nada except those carried aboard Galleons...

Posted by: Pondmn
Date: September 20, 2009 12:35AM
I have detected a lot of gold and got some copper nuggets. It is definately not gold and probably copper. Jerry

Posted by: tony (Orlando, FL)
Date: October 09, 2009 07:17PM
I am not sure what it is BUT we do have a name for that stuff we find in Daytona. Its known to us as 'Leaveright' . As in 'Leave 'er right there ' !

Posted by: NCGrampa
Date: October 20, 2009 12:59PM
Tony:

In NC we call it tosserite as in "Toss 'er rite over yonder. If you leave 'er right there some one else will pick it up and we'll have this same conversation again!

kpeterk:
I agree with Pondmn. I've seen dirty gold nuggets, but the one you have looks more like copper. If I knew for sure that the colors in the picture are the same as the object, I'd say definitely copper.

Posted by: binky
Date: November 11, 2009 09:50PM
its a quarter,but i dont think it is gold!

Re: NO..
Posted by: 1goldsniper
Date: November 16, 2009 06:29PM
Do you have any nitric acid ? It should eat up anything but gold I understand. I found a chunk this fall that looked just like a chunk of bronze
Burning it off with nitric acid it turned out looking just like some of the gold buttons I have made. But some old gold testing acid said it was not gold. It definitely has some copper in it but I need to get some fresh gold testing acids to be sure. I am pretty sure it is a piece of brass slag which one cannot tell color wise from gold. weight wise it seems a little light. But the acid will let me know for sure. Randy

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login