Findmall.com

Whatzit Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Weird Button
Mike(MI)
Date: April 17, 2004 10:44PM
I'm thinking this button in the Todays Finds Photo Gallery is common but the word's on it have me stumped. The button is pic #30 & 31 for 4/17/04. It is about three-fourths of an inch across and is convex on the front side. The back is pretty corroded. The button appears to be copper or brass. It was found at a 1950's era elementary school in MI. As far as I can read the words on it are "Buro Cotyr 1780x Archid Avs Dux" Any idea's so I can sleep at night again. Thanks
P.S.- I used to be able to insert these pics in the post but with the new system can't seem to figure it out.

Weird Button photo
Steve(CAN)
Date: April 18, 2004 12:12AM
Weird Button... here ya go Mike
Steve(CAN)
Date: April 18, 2004 12:28AM
From the link below. Hope you can get to sleep now.
>>>10.02.04 03:50, Sender: Russel ( russ*andersonaz.com )
Anfrage - Question:
I have a coin: on one face a lady with "R.IMP.HU.BO.REG/M.THERESSIA.A.D.G BURG.CO.TYR.1780.X/ARCHID.AVST.DUX
31.01.04 21:04, Sender: Helmut Graber
Anfrage :
Ich bitte um Information einer Münze die sich in meinem Besitz befindet. Auf der einen Seite befindet sich der Kopf von Maria Theresia, rundum befidnet sich folgende Aufschrift: R IMP HU BO REG M THERESIAD G; auf der anderen Seite befindet sich ein zweiköpfiger Adler mit der Aufschrift: BURG CO TYR 1780 X ARCHID AVST DUX. Mich würde der Wert dieser Münze interessieren!? Bitte um Antwort. <<<

Another day, another Thaler?
Steve(CAN)
Date: April 18, 2004 01:02AM
Mike your button is the reverse of a Maria Theresia, Austrian coin, looks like a copy (maybe an actual coin made into a button). Nice find, Mike! Congrats!
More info:
Different varieties with Maria were minted for the Austrian empire:
* Austrian Luxembourg and Liege
* Austrian Netherlands
* Austrian Burgau
* Salzburg Coins
* Austrian Lombardy Coins
One in paticular, the Thaler, was a widely circulated coin. Our "dollar" is a word derived from the name of this coin.
Some info on the inscriptions:
Ruler: Maria Theresia
Legend (obverse):
R.IMP. HU.BO. REG. M.THERESIA. D.G. R.IMP.
(Romanorum Imperator Semper August) - Emperor of the Romans Ever August
HU.BO. - Queen of Hungary and Bohemia
REG. - Royality
M.THERESIA. - Maria Theresia
D.G. (Del Gratia) - By the grace of God
Legend (reverse): DUX.BURG. CO.TYR. ARCHID.AUST.
DUK.BURG. - Duchess Of Burgau
CO.TYR. - Countess of Tyrol
ARCHID.AUST. - Archduchess of Austria
Mintmasters Initials: SC
SC - Tobias Schobl and Joseph von Clotz Crowned imperal eagle with the Burgau coat of arms

Re: Weird Button... here ya go Mike
Mike(MI)
Date: April 19, 2004 12:47AM
Thanks for the info. I don't know how you answer so fast but sure am grateful. Just have to find out what type of clothing this button would be on. Maybe a sportcoat or something. The information turns my little piece of metal into something interesting.

You aren't gonna believe this Mike
Steve(CAN)
Date: April 19, 2004 07:29AM
hee hee

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login