Findmall.com

Whites XLT Classroom Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
XLT Programs
Posted by: txkyle03
Date: November 12, 2009 04:28PM
I have a Whites XLT that I have had for 3 years. I have found lots of coins, neat stuff and trash. My question can anyone give me a program that works good for then in finding gold rings or coins. I have found about 15 silver rings but no gold rings. I don't have the time to get out, but I am planning on making more time... thanks to all of you and your hobby ....Kyle

XLT Programs and Gold
Posted by: dahut
Date: November 12, 2009 10:45PM
There are no miracle program for gold rings. They are hard to find and it takes both skill and perseverance to find them. You have to put the coil over a gold ring to find it, that's number one. Number two, you have to work in the range between foil and zinc cents. This mean trash and lots of it, especially pulltabs and foil.

If you are hunting in the standard "Coins" mode then you are not going to find many gold rings. If you are not hunting in trashy athletic fields, parks and beaches then you wont be where most of the gold rings are. The goal is to know the full range of trash responses, so that differences will be recognized (possibly) as "something else" - and hopefully gold. The alternative is to dig everything

This about sums it up. There are programs that enhance the detectors ability to respond to gold rings, but they cannot overcome these requisites. Once you get these sorted, a decent ring program looks like this:

Coinist's Ring Pgm

Basic Adjustments:
Target Volume: 63
Audio Threshold: 5
Tone (Audio Freq): 200
Audio Disc.: ON
Silent Search: OFF
Mixed Mode: OFF
A.C. Sens: 65-70
D.C. Sens: 25-33 I run this low, about 10-15, to prevent "punch through" causing all signals to sound the same.
Backlight: 0
Viewing Angle: 25

Pro Options:
Audio
Ratchet Pinpointing: OFF
S.A.T. Speed: 5
Tone I.D.: OFF
V.C.O.: ON
Absolute Value: OFF
Modulation: OFF

G.E.B. / TRAC
Autotrac: ON
Trac View: OFF
Autotrac Speed: 18-20
Autotrac Offset: +1
Trac Inhibit: OFF
Coarse G.E.B.: Auto
Fine G.E.B.: Auto

Discrimination
Reject: -95 to +03, +19 to +23, +35 to +36, +41, +53 to +55, +64, + 69 to +95
Accept: +4 to +18, +24 to +34, +37 to +40, +42 to +52, 56 + 63, +65 to +68
Learn Accept: OFF
Learn Reject: OFF
Recovery Speed: 20-21
Bottlecap Reject: 1

I leave in the range around nickels, shown above here in blue.
For accepting dimes, quarters and halves, accept the range from +80 to +94
If you want to find copper cents, add the range from +75 on up to +80.

Display
Visual Disc.: ON
Icons: OFF
V.D.I. Sens: 70-80
D.C. Phase: ON
Graph Averaging: ON
Graph Accumulating: ON
Fade Rate: 11

Signal
Transmit Boost: ON
Transmit Frequency: 4
Preamp Gain: 2-3

This is a hard program to use, but it is one of the best. It breaks up trash, but lets nearly all gold come through. You want to watch for VDI consistency. Numbers that vary a lot or fail to "cluster" tightly around a hinge number are probably trash, although you have to learn that by recovering targets until you do.

The heart of a ring program is the notching that causes trash to give itself away. You don't want to completely eliminate trash, and you don't want to accept it all. You want to selectively notch, so that trash will give poor responses, while good targets give good ones. Its like a combination for a lock.

David
Whatever you do, do it with enthusiasm.

"All of society comes to nothing without good plumbing."

Re: XLT Programs TWO BOOKS I WOULD READ
Posted by: ohio fred
Date: November 13, 2009 11:10AM
These two books should be read together XLT Ring Enhancement Programs "A practical Guide By Clive James Clynick it is 36 pages very good information and his other book XLT Field Methods & Custom Programs by Clive James Clynick 64 pages these two books give you understanding of how to find the rings also programs to use and why and about joining numbers and what to look for great books.I got them off ebay about 6 to 9 dollars each well worth it. http://shop.ebay.com/landandseatreasure/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=&_trksid=p4340 look toward bottom of pages he has the ring enhancement book the other seems hard to find .They kind of should be read togrther if you can because he refers to them when he writing. Hope this helped good luck if you find gold ring send one for my advice thanks again

Re: XLT Programs TWO BOOKS I WOULD READ
Posted by: cjc
Date: November 14, 2009 06:51AM
Thanks for the kudos Fred; I'm glad you like those two books. They are a bit back-dated now and hard to find. Those methods and programs have certainly worked well for me over the years.
Good Luck Detecting,
Clive [clivesgoldpagehome]

Excellent post dahut...
Posted by: Dan-Pa.
Date: November 14, 2009 08:18AM
Unfortunately gold rings can come in anywhere basically from low foil to screwcap and a large 10kt might even come in at the high penny to dime range and a small white gold ring with a nice diamond could even come in as iron. So to delete any you stand the chance of missing one but have to admit he is playing the averages with this setup and we all know this gentlemans programs work well almost anywhere. To me the hot spot for a nice diamond engagement ring is #10 to #20 and dig all in that area especially if they hit hard and the number doesn't jump around and holds a basically solid number.Certainly takes a trained ear and can easily be fooled by key or fishing sinker because of its weight. All in all gold rings that are unbroken usually hit harder and hold a tone longer so indeed gold ring hunting takes a lot of practice and would do some airtesting with gold rings and the junk that imitates them to get the feeling. To increase your odds would recommend swimming beaches and dig all..As an addendum land gold rings are lost every day and most of us pass right over them leaving them for those that investigate...

Re: XLT Programs TWO BOOKS I WOULD READ Thanks for the word Cjc
Date: November 14, 2009 11:50AM
Books were well worth looking for a lot of good explanation on how the xlt works and the programs in the books work well for me.I went to your web site one time and you didn't have the xlt books available just dfx and some other.

Re: XLT Programs and Gold maybe?N/T
Date: July 03, 2010 01:07PM

(This message does not contain any text.)

just rereading these two books.N/T
Date: January 22, 2013 12:28PM

Re: just rereading these two books.
Posted by: skookum
Date: January 22, 2013 04:59PM
Hi,
Whites did publish a book that is scarce to get nowadays.
Called : A closer look at metal detector discrimination by Robert C. Brocett
There is no isbn number in it, else I

Whites XLT , Whites 6000 Di Pro SL , Whites Classic III Plus , Fisher 1270
Blue Max 950 and Bullseye 5.3 coils for the Whites
10,5 - 8 - 5 inch coils for the 1270
Garrett Pro Pointer

*** The only detector that can truly tell trash from treasure is a shovel ***

Date: January 23, 2013 12:08AM

Re: XLT Programs and Gold
Posted by: wingryder
Date: May 21, 2013 07:09PM
dahut
Reading a very old post and wanting to try your gold xlt program.

Two questions.

You posted DC sen. at 25-33 but say you run it at 10-15. Why would you offer one set of numbers and and then say but I use this other set ?

Down in the discrimination... you say to Reject +19 to 23 But right below it you say "I leave in this range"

Clarification please

wingryder

Posted by: Larry (IL)
Date: May 21, 2013 07:56PM
David has only posted twice in the last year so you might not hear from him. The program he listed is not his but Coinist's ........... he added his comments what he does.

Bells and whistles are nice, but nothing will substitute for the basic understanding of the hobby.

:minelab: CTX 3030, :whites: V3i

Date: May 21, 2013 10:15PM
Whoops I missed the point that David was commenting on... or refining Coinist's program. Makes perfect sense now.
I guess I have Gold Program A and B. and easy to try both ways. (Did I say easy.. nothing is easy with the XLT, but the learning curve is part of the fun.)
Thanks Larry.. appreciate your comment.

wingryder

Date: May 22, 2013 07:58PM
One more comment or question about this "gold" program. If I run the DC sensitivity as low as David recommends, I cannot hear the pinpointing tones very well. Any way of achieving Davids goal and still have some audio for pinpointing?

thanks
Wingryder

Posted by: Larry (IL)
Date: May 22, 2013 09:34PM
Set the DC where it works best for you. Don't be afraid to customize to YOUR preferences.

Bells and whistles are nice, but nothing will substitute for the basic understanding of the hobby.

:minelab: CTX 3030, :whites: V3i

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login