Findmall.com

Whites XLT Classroom Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Counterfeit Bust Half found years ago, turns out to be worth big bucks.
Posted by: Deno
Date: July 31, 2011 08:47AM
I found this thing around 6 years ago in our all time favorite field.

It was around 11:00 pm, I think, maybe later. We were hunting at night to beat the heat and utilize all the

hours in the day, to stretch it out if you know what I mean. A warm summer breeze was blowing.

Anyway, I had always told my two partners Weaver & Armstrong that I thought this field held a Bust Half dollar.

Me and Weaver were hunting together this night, I got a good solid nickel hit on my XLT,

I had high hopes for this signal because this field was a mega producer for old coins and buttons,

probably around 20 or so old coins, none newer than 1841 that I remember, and around 250 buttons,

no telling how many thimbles. When I dug it I was surprised to find a Bust Half Dollar, well needless

to say I was pretty excited to say the least, but right away I realized something was wrong with this thing.

It read like a nickel and it was very light and it didn't have the ding to it when you flipped it.

Not only was all this wrong, it had a big crack in it.

Well then like a dumb butt I called Weaver down to show him my find, I don't remember if he was coming

or going but he found a beautiful Bust dime about 6 feet from me, it was real and I felt cheated.

This wasn't the first time he did this sort of thing to me, I don't call him to brag anymore, at least

not until I have hunted 25' in every direction of my find.

Well I posted it on a few sites and then put it in my display case and kind of forgot about it.

Seems like I researched it a little bit to no avail, I remember some replies where people said the

counterfeits could be worth more than their real counterparts, I just didn't think this could be true.

I had always held this coin in low regard.

About 10 days or so ago I get this pm from a guy named Mark who wants to buy this little beauty

for $500.00 dollars. Hot Dang, I am excited now, I emailed him back to explain that I had never

sold anything, and probably wouldn't unless my little girl looks up at me and says "Daddy I am hungry."

All this got my curiosity up, Mark went on to explain that he thought I had a new variety 1813 1/B

known obverse with an unknown/unlisted reverse, he went on to say that I might be able to get

more for the coin. I sent pictures to a friend of a friend who just happens to also be an expert

in Bust Coins. His name is Brad and he owns a couple of coin shops. He looked at it and emailed

me back that I DID NOT have a NEW reverse but one that hadn't been seen since the publication

of Riddells monograph in 1845. He said even though it was extra ugly, it was

sexy with a neat history being the first one seen since it's mention in Riddells monograph 166 years

ago. He said it could bring around $1000.00 at auction. Both of these guys are alright.

If it hadn't been for Mark I would have never known the true value of this coin. Marks

honesty and help was amazing and I am grateful to him and Brad. I am going to send

Mark a little present in the mail and I am going to take Brad to lunch.

This hobby leads to a lot of good things and many good people.

If anything happens to me, I have told my wife and little girl to sell this coin to Mark for $500.00.

Thanks again Mark.

Re: Counterfeit Bust Half found years ago, turns out to be worth big bucks.
Posted by: Joel-Winnipeg
Date: August 05, 2011 08:06PM
Quite the find and story.
Good luck with this one !

We act as though comfort and luxury
were the chief requirements of life
when all we need to make us really happy
is something to be enthusiastic about.
___ Charles Kingsley___

Date: August 05, 2011 10:53PM
Thanks for looking Joel, hope everything is going well for you in the North Country. Mark sent me a book on the subject called contemporary counterfeit Capped Bust Half Dollars and as it turns out he and Brad both had a part in writing it, is it a small wold or what? Turns out the guy who made this thing worked at the mint. He was making halfs for uncle sam in the daytime, and for himself at night. They may have to make a third edition of the book because of finds like mine. This is the best hobby in the world and all of us who detect are helping to save history and set the record straight. This book is great, I haven't been able to put it down since I got it. Good luck.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/05/2011 10:59PM by Deno.

Posted by: peterlopip
Date: April 21, 2013 04:30PM
Hey Deno,

I just found one in an old farm field on Long Island, NY... strong nickel hit, not deep- turns out it was only 2 inches.
I was also surprised to see a capped bust half that read like a nickel, and as light as it was.
I tried to take a pic but right now its not photographing very well. Very fine shape, all the details
are crisp & legible, its an 1810. My local coin dealer said its worth a buck at most, and said I could get another
from china town for a buck. 'I will do some more researc to see what it might be worth.

Take care,
Peter

Great story great find:thumbup::clapping::thumbup:N/T
Posted by: ohio fred
Date: April 21, 2013 07:12PM

(This message does not contain any text.)

worth big bucks.Rare 1913 nickel fetches over $3.1M at auction
Posted by: ohio fred
Date: April 26, 2013 10:33AM
Date: May 07, 2013 10:46PM
peterlopip
Hey Deno,

I just found one in an old farm field on Long Island, NY... strong nickel hit, not deep- turns out it was only 2 inches.
I was also surprised to see a capped bust half that read like a nickel, and as light as it was.
I tried to take a pic but right now its not photographing very well. Very fine shape, all the details
are crisp & legible, its an 1810. My local coin dealer said its worth a buck at most, and said I could get another
from china town for a buck. 'I will do some more researc to see what it might be worth.

Take care,
Peter

You and your coin dealer sound like you are full of sheit. Show me a picture if you really have one, and if you do have one I
can give you the name and email address of the two premier experts in the world on counterfeit Bust Half's that were made
from US dies. Mark and Brad write books on the subject. Looking forward to your picture.

Deno

Posted by: JDO
Date: December 09, 2013 09:44PM
Deno,

I used to post here years ago and just started following the forum again. I have a counterfeit 1849-O seated liberty half that I dug from a CW camp. I think it is possibly lead and tin (pewter-like) and has decent detail...if it was struck from mint dyes, they were probably worn. Would you know anyone who has knowledge about this type of coin? I mentioned it to a local coin dealer and they really had no interest. I can provide a pic if needed.

Thanks,

Jeff

Posted by: bookemdano
Date: December 12, 2013 05:29AM
Wow! what a pleasant suprise, sure love hunting those farm fields myself. Happy hunting Deno! Nice story!

Posted by: stoneman101
Date: April 15, 2017 09:18AM
Mark (Deno),

I am writing a book on the history of counterfeit U.S. Federal coinage (primarily in the 19th century). Among the many parts of this book, I am attempting to provide photographs of each known counterfeit coin variety from each denomination and series, conduct non-destructive XRF analysis on the composition of each variety, and provide a historical perspective on such counterfeit coins, to name a few of the major parts of this project. As such, and since this 1813 counterfeit Capped bust half dollar (CBH) variety which you found several years ago is still unique (to the very best of my knowledge), and these are the only known photo's of this variety (that I'm aware of), would I be able to get your permission to use your images (above) in my book and provide you photographic credits? Further, and if you are willing, would you be willing to have me XRF analyze this piece to identify its approximate metallurgical composition? This metallurgical information would be extremely valuable for my research to further characterize the 23 other known varieties which belong to this single group (or family) of counterfeit CBHs; so far I have had the privilege to XRF analyzed 20 of the 24 different varieties from this one family group of counterfeit CBHs.

I understand I am new here, a complete stranger on these forums, and the world of metal detecting, but I can provide multiple references if requested.

I appreciate your review of my requests as stated above.

Sincerely,
Winston Zack

Posted by: stoneman101
Date: May 25, 2017 10:30AM
Deno,

While I have not heard back from you here, or anyone else with regard to my research project/book, I just spoke with my good friend Brad Karoleff (coin dealer out of Cincinnati) and he told me that if you wanted to bring this piece by his shop he would be happy to get this piece photographed for me and my project, and the other information I requested above. I would be more than happy to add your name in my book indicating you as the discoverer of this variety, etc. etc.

Please don't hesitate to contact me (email: stoneman101@gmail.com) or Brad with more information.

I would greatly appreciate it.

All the best,
Winston

Winston, email me at jtalley007@verizon.net or text me 804-937-2453
Posted by: jtalley007
Date: May 25, 2017 06:46PM
I've seen a few counterfeit coins over the years here in VA like Spanish Real or dollar sized coins,etc.

Friends hunt homesites that go to colonial times and I'm amazed at the work they put into these counterfeit coins back then.

What years or makes are you interested in, I may have access to a couple of specimens to share?

How do you determine value, does iteed to be a copy of a rare coin to have value?

Jerry Talley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login