Findmall.com

Whites XLT Classroom Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Best coils for the XLT???
Posted by: tjn63
Date: March 25, 2012 10:09PM
I own a DFX and have the Excelerator 10X12 SEF coil. I've been thinking of getting my wife an XLT. It just comes with the stock coil. We mainly hunt for deep copper and silver coins. What would be some of the best coil options for the XLT. I know it runs on a 6.59 KHZ frequency.
Thanks,
Travis

Re: Best coils for the XLT???
Posted by: widebody
Date: March 26, 2012 11:45PM
seems i've heard there's a SEF 10x12 or something like that for the XLT. i can't handle a coil that large myself but heard there is one.

HH

Garrett AT Pr o
Garrett Pro pin pointer.x2
Whites V3i

AIN'T THIS HOBBY GREAT?

THE ONLY DUMB QUESTION IS THE ONE YOU DON'T ASK.
Kelso, Wa.
where the sun don't shine most of the time.

Posted by: MarkCZ
Date: March 26, 2012 11:47PM
I know that the most sought after coil is the Royal Scan 800.
Many folks claim that is the only coil the really use

Mark

Posted by: gilfordberry
Date: March 28, 2012 03:39AM
800 is a good coil, as is the 5.3 in trashy areas. The best, though, for not-too-deep targets is the bigfoot...if you can find one...

For the deep stuff, you could get the hot shot coil - or even use the stock 9.5 - it's a pretty good coil.

Don't get too lost in the "depth" issues and specialty coils.
Posted by: Monte
Date: April 05, 2012 09:58AM
Travis, let me just insert a couple of comments here as I have viewed this general topic for so many decades now. I am mainly referring to coin depth, and also to a detector's ability to hit on what are truly 'deeper coins.' I was talking with a couple of very avid detectorists this past few days, and I am not referring to just an active hobbyist, but serious detectorists who, like me, have really been involved with using top-end detector models and working with great search coils to wring the most performance out of them.

I am also referring to a couple of guys who, like me, have hunted up a lot of silver coins and other earlier-date coins of different denomination in all of the typically popular coin hunting sites. In that discussion, as I have discussed with many other avid hunters over the past decade or two, we touched on how many people are new, or newer, to the metal detecting sport who gripe because they haven't found many ... or any ... silver US coins. We all tell them the same thing, and that is those coins are mostly gone. We, and others like us, who started hunting in the early days and put in hours and hours a day, and hunted day to day to day, found a lot of silver coins, older coins, and we know many typical hunt sites got very thinned out.

Oh, sure we still find silver coins and other oldies, but not like we used to, and honestly, not always at honest 'deep coin' depth, either. Many silver coins and Indian Head and 'wheat-back' cents and Buffalo and 'V' nickels and such are still out there. Okay, not "many" like we used to consider, but enough of them to keep us hanging in there trying to seek them out. Often it means finding the fringe areas that might have been overlooks more in the past. Sometimes we might have to just change up the detector we use, or the search coil we use, or use a different sweep speed that provided better performance. Maybe it means lowering the Discriminate level to hunt in and close to more trash and try to pick out potential 'keeper' audio responses.

All too often we read some posts or other write-ups where people claim some astonishing coin depths, such as 10" to 12" routinely on in-ground buried targets. Well, we also agree that that just isn't going to be the norm, especially if hunting in some bad ground. I, and my friends, still find the occasional silver dime in the 'typical' surface-to-4" depth range, but those are usually sites they just hadn't been hunted much in the past, and places where there hasn't been a lot of ground surface build-up from mowed grass clippings, leafage, added fill dirt, etc. get over that depth, and reaching down to the 5" and over 6" and 7" depths, and you are finding older coins, or longer lost coins with ample ground build-up.

Rarely, very rarely, do you get a hit on a coin that is an honest 8" or 9". Very rare. Most of the silver coins and 'wheat-back' and other older type coins are found 'on edge' or canted quite a bit, or they are close to masking challenges, such as nails, foil, hot rocks, curbing, or other things that have hit them from detection in the past.

tjn63
I own a DFX and have the Excelerator 10X12 SEF coil.
The DFX is a good detector. I have owned them and they worked, but for me and my hunting needs and the in-the-field performance I had, the XLT was my preference between the two of them. Very similar performance, and they each have control adjustments that can help us, sometimes, and other adjustments that can work against us if turned 'On' or if grossly adjusted to a radical setting.

As for the search coil, I had the 10X12 SEF coil that I used on my M6, MXT, and a DFX. I used it against the stock 950 Concentric and the D2 10" DD. At the time the White's 10" D2 was just released and I had one that had a few issues, thus the performance was a little impaired, leaving the 10X12 SEF to work a little better. I didn't like the larger SEF, but the 10X12 was 'OK.' Overall, to be honest, I had all-around better performance from the stock 950 coil.

I also compared it on the DFX and MXT against an XLT with the 950, or with my preferred open-area coil, the Royal 800 8" Concentric coil. On most targets I encountered, and since I had the exclusive permission to hunt inside a fenced renovation site of an old school location where they were also renovating the playground/ball field, I had a lot of opportunity to compare different detectors and different search coils. I was mainly looking for silver coins, but I took everything I found, including 1880's Indian Head cents and 'V' nickels and a couple of decent-value (for here) old Trade Tokens. How did the detectors and search coils I used perform? Well, .... interesting would be one word, and predictable would also make a nice answer.

With solo access it gave me a chance to take the time to compare a number of different makes and models, as well as search coils. I used some Minelabs and Teknetics here, also, but did my best with some White's detectors. From them I used my modified IDX Pro, Prizm 6T, M6, MXT, MXT Pro, XL Pro, XLT, DFX and early Vision/Spectra V3 models.

Search coils I evaluated on those models over all that old school site locations included White's Concentric 5.3 BullsEye and 5.3 Eclipse (6

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells
Trading Post

Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
'How-To' help for Coin & Jewelry Hunting, Relic Hunting and Useful Techniques.

My Regular-Use Detectors:
Nokta: Two each of the following: Impact, FORS Relic and FORS CoRe
Tesoro: Vaquero, Silver Sabre µMAX and Mojave
White's: MX7 (coming soon)

Other Specialty-Use Detectors from:
Compass, Makro, Nokta, Tesoro and White's
Note: Detectors are listed alphabetically by Brand, NOT in my order of preference for use. Additional search coils on-hand in accessory bags.

Pinpointers: Using Nokta and Makro Pointers.
Headphones: Using the Killer B 'Hornet' and White's Pro Star.

*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***

monte@stinkwaterwells.com .. or .. monte@ahrps.org
(503) 481-8147

Posted by: Dan-Pa.
Date: April 06, 2012 08:20AM
Don't sell the 5.3 models short....great seperation and depth.....

Re: Don't get too lost in the "depth" issues and specialty coils.
Posted by: dwho10
Date: February 27, 2015 08:51AM
Monte,

I'm new to the hobby and was hoping you could help me out with some settings for my White's XLT that I recently inherited from my father. I've been using the stock coil to look for coins (predominantly in trashy areas here in Colorado like parks) and have found a few items but have been mostly successful in finding foil, pull tabs, nails, etc. With that said, I do know that I still have a lot to learn about the hobby but was hoping a better coil for trashy areas might help me out some. To that end, I purchased the 5.3 Bullseye coil which you seem to be pretty high on, especially for use in trashy areas. Do you have any recommended settings for this coil you can share with me? Thank you.

-Dave

Posted by: James0169
Date: June 07, 2015 01:05PM
This might be a stupid question but can I use / try any whites coil on the xlt? I know some will be better than others depending on the applications and settings, etc. but is there any danger or uselessness in trying any coil I might find? I'm fairly new to this equipment and just looking for a rule of thumb as far as changing coils, is it like lenses on a camera in that if it fits it'll work or could I potentially ruin the gear if I try the wrong one? Thanks for any info!

Posted by: Gary In Old VA
Date: November 03, 2015 09:12PM
I have used Whites for years and the XLT is my baby. The first thing that I did after I got my XLT was to get a 8in. coil.
I have found that with the 9in coil it sees to much ground when coin hunting but the 8in. works about right. You still get
great depth with and great separation in junk in my opinion. I really like the Royal 800 coil the best because of the fact
that its flatter than the earlier 8in coils, so you get that much closer to the goodies. I have hunted for 35 years and I am
sure that a midsize coil works best in most places. If you are hunting in a wide-open area the larger coils are fine but in
a junky spot a 6in. coil works best. You can take this with a grain of salt if you want to but it works for me.

Posted by: barnett25
Date: February 12, 2016 11:48AM
James0169
This might be a stupid question but can I use / try any whites coil on the xlt? I know some will be better than others depending on the applications and settings, etc. but is there any danger or uselessness in trying any coil I might find? I'm fairly new to this equipment and just looking for a rule of thumb as far as changing coils, is it like lenses on a camera in that if it fits it'll work or could I potentially ruin the gear if I try the wrong one? Thanks for any info!
You have to have a coil that is designed for 6.59Khz frequency, or it will not work. I do not know if it will damage the detector, but I suppose it is possible.
There were not many types of coils made that are compatible with this detector, so if it isn't one of the following it probably won't work.

Blue Max 350
Blue Max Deep Scan 600
5.3 Black Max
5.3 BullsEye
Blue Max or Royal ProScan 800
Blue or Black Max 950

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login