Findmall.com

Whites XLT Classroom Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Picked up a couple of XLT, One with tricked out elliptical coil.
Posted by: Old California
Date: July 30, 2016 10:09PM
Recently, Picked up a couple of Craigslist XLT's. Both the latest 1.1 version, One is beatup the other in much better condition. I'm keeping the abused one, the other is going to a buddy for what I put into it.

Strolling through the menu, was taken how advanced they are. Remarkable features for an early-mid nighties detector, no wonder many continue to enjoy the XLT.

Check out the elliptical coil, Yes it works but it's auctally a Blue Max coil. The bluemax coil was banged up so I switched the original blue max coil shell with a gutted elliptical coil, auctally looks pretty cool and works great.

Recently, Ordered Don's Deep Relic Program. I'm curious to see how the XLT will do out in farm land, from what I'm seeing with a couple of recent hunts, the XLT should fare well as a relic detector.

Thanks for looking,
Paul

AKA..Paul (Ca)

Whites GoldMaster BFO
Compass Klodike BFO
Bountyhunter BFO
FisherScope TR
Metrotech TR
Detectron TR
Rayscope TR
Mity Mite TR
Garrett BFO
D-Tex BFO
Goldak TR
Relco BFO
Jecto BFO
Teknetics
Roach TR

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/30/2016 10:13PM by Old California.

Re: Picked up a couple of XLT, One with tricked out elliptical coil.
Posted by: Wheat Cent
Date: July 30, 2016 11:35PM
I have a dfx and am getting a XLT but amazing machines. Can compete with a lot of more modern machines, I was completely confused for a hour but when I got out using my dfx I got the hang of it real fast, it may not be the deepest but it found more than a family member with a mxt.

Date: August 01, 2016 10:33AM
I think you'll like the XLT if you get one, probably even more than the DFX.

I've owned a couple of DFX, But I could never get them to operate as well as the XLT. Some users can get maximum performance with DFX settings, I never could learn the DFX that well.

Good luck, I think you'll like the XLT. Please share your experiences with both.

Paul

AKA..Paul (Ca)

Whites GoldMaster BFO
Compass Klodike BFO
Bountyhunter BFO
FisherScope TR
Metrotech TR
Detectron TR
Rayscope TR
Mity Mite TR
Garrett BFO
D-Tex BFO
Goldak TR
Relco BFO
Jecto BFO
Teknetics
Roach TR

Posted by: silverseeker 2
Date: August 02, 2016 08:40AM
Paul,
Those look like SLIM_LINES the 2 of them. Just curious as if they are
because I have heard these were Whites best Spectrums. Hope all's
well and I FORSEE a Great Mod. here in the future by the
Mod. King. Your work is OUTSTANDING Paul.
silverseeker 2

P.S. Really like my Slim_Line as I just had a new Screen replacement and
picked up 3 books on the Spectrum for running this baby for MAX. performance
for finding the LOW Conductors since Silver is becoming harder and harder to find
unless your doing homesites!!!
Love finding old Relics too...

Date: August 02, 2016 08:37PM
Thanks silver seeker,

That's what I need to do, pick more XLT material. I see positive performance from these, they are pretty good for a 20 year plus detector.

Picked up both for $300, but after I'm done with them will have about $200 bucks in each one. One needed another coil, arm rest, screens etc. So I'll be selling off one to a friend for what I put into them, he'll be getting a good deal.

Thanks again, enjoy your XLT!
Paul

AKA..Paul (Ca)

Whites GoldMaster BFO
Compass Klodike BFO
Bountyhunter BFO
FisherScope TR
Metrotech TR
Detectron TR
Rayscope TR
Mity Mite TR
Garrett BFO
D-Tex BFO
Goldak TR
Relco BFO
Jecto BFO
Teknetics
Roach TR

Date: August 02, 2016 09:37PM
Old California
Thanks silver seeker,

That's what I need to do, pick more XLT material. I see positive performance from these, they are pretty good for a 20 year plus detector.

Picked up both for $300, but after I'm done with them will have about $200 bucks in each one. One needed another coil, arm rest, screens etc. So I'll be selling off one to a friend for what I put into them, he'll be getting a good deal.

Thanks again, enjoy your XLT!
Paul

I dont think whites has screens left cause they told me in a email they dont, so you might have to find someone with one. I think that one of the authorized repair centers has some in stock.

Also my DFX is from 2006 so a decade old. But working like a charm.

Posted by: donl98632
Date: August 02, 2016 09:57PM
I bought a XLT as soon as they came out, and have had one every since. They were top of the line for many years and still hold there own for some types of hunting. They are a 4 filter detector so require a somewhat fast sweep speed for best depth. They do not have a real fast recovery speed and are not great for iron infested sites. I like the old 8" coil, or the still made 5.3 coils the best. If the screen cover is whats bad that is still available from whites, if its the screen itself they can still replace that with the screen made for the DFX, I will always have a XLT as a part of my detector herd...

Don

Date: August 02, 2016 10:02PM
donl98632
I bought a XLT as soon as they came out, and have had one every since. They were top of the line for many years and still hold there own for some types of hunting. They are a 4 filter detector so require a somewhat fast sweep speed for best depth. They do not have a real fast recovery speed and are not great for iron infested sites. I like the old 8" coil, or the still made 5.3 coils the best. If the screen cover is whats bad that is still available from whites, if its the screen itself they can still replace that with the screen made for the DFX, I will always have a XLT as a part of my detector herd...

Don

Whites told me they dont have any DFX screens left, when i contacted them cause i wanted a spare for my machine.

http://centrevilleelectronics.net/index.htm A Whites authorized repair center does have some in stock. You might try them if you ever need one.

But yes, the xlt is a great machine, they were $1000 machines when new so they do age very well even today, I will never sell my DFX, you would have to kill me and take it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/02/2016 10:04PM by Wheat Cent.

Date: August 02, 2016 10:24PM
Thanks wheat cent,

Meant to say protective screen cover, that's what NB needed replacing not the auctal screen readout.

Already ordered a couple off eBay, they arrived and have been put on the other day.

Plus, I lucked out I do have a couple of spare XLT digital screens somewhere in a box. Can always use these if mine to out.

Take care,
Paul

AKA..Paul (Ca)

Whites GoldMaster BFO
Compass Klodike BFO
Bountyhunter BFO
FisherScope TR
Metrotech TR
Detectron TR
Rayscope TR
Mity Mite TR
Garrett BFO
D-Tex BFO
Goldak TR
Relco BFO
Jecto BFO
Teknetics
Roach TR

Date: August 02, 2016 10:27PM
Same here Don, from here on out will always keep an XLT.

It was actually the thin protective screen cover needing replacement, ordered a set off eBay and they arrived the other night. So I'm good to go now.

Thanks Don!
Paul

AKA..Paul (Ca)

Whites GoldMaster BFO
Compass Klodike BFO
Bountyhunter BFO
FisherScope TR
Metrotech TR
Detectron TR
Rayscope TR
Mity Mite TR
Garrett BFO
D-Tex BFO
Goldak TR
Relco BFO
Jecto BFO
Teknetics
Roach TR

Date: August 02, 2016 11:11PM
I know what you mean about the 2nd screen protector I bought a cover for my mxt so that I don't poke a hole in that, going to get one for my dfx. I do wonder how the 6.59 kHz on the xlt works out since your not going to really be finding any gold rings with it unless they are huge.

Posted by: Percy
Date: August 20, 2016 07:52PM
I like the picture of the tricked out coil xlt unit. It looks like it has the m6 center shaft which makes it a straight shaft and really improves the
balance and feels lighter. I have one on my dfx and I have a xlt inbound that I just purchased. I haven't had a xlt since I switched
over to the dfx when they first came out. Can't wait to get out with it.

Date: August 25, 2016 12:58AM
WTG with the recent xlt purchase, I think you like it due to the user friendly menu.

I never could get over the DFX menu, was too complicated for me to get a good understanding of its features. But that was then, maybe now if going back to a DFX things would be different with the learning curve.

Never had an M6, but did pickup a new SST several year's ago. Was deep in certain ground, gain was above normal and it was a fun Detector.

Thanks Percy, get out with the xlt and make some cool finds!
Paul

AKA..Paul (Ca)

Whites GoldMaster BFO
Compass Klodike BFO
Bountyhunter BFO
FisherScope TR
Metrotech TR
Detectron TR
Rayscope TR
Mity Mite TR
Garrett BFO
D-Tex BFO
Goldak TR
Relco BFO
Jecto BFO
Teknetics
Roach TR

Posted by: sbthrifty
Date: October 01, 2016 05:27PM
I have had an XLT for years,before that I had a Spectrum,they are one of the best detectors ever BUT they require some homework to get the best performance from them.

Posted by: iw1abj
Date: April 25, 2017 08:59AM
regards
I also have a xlt spectrum and it goes very well both in tones and discrimination, next month I will get xxl blackdog plate / spool built in spain, it increases by 5/7 "that supplied, better than many current MDs
http://en.marsmd.com/ costruczion coll/sell for xxl blackdog special for xlt,see link
Algerio bye

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login