Findmall.com

American Ghost Town Hunters

Welcome! Log In Register
Hey Vern, while watchin Gods and Generals........
Posted by: Jim West Pa
Date: February 24, 2012 11:14AM
I realized that there were very many different Companys from states all over.
Not to meantion all the local and other wise not really talked about 'imports' if you will.
In yer elic huntin, is it feasable to expect to find various accoutrements from all these other Companys
as well as from the other not often spoken about or meantioned smaller Companys and or outfits ?

Am i proud to be an American ?
Why no.........
I am humbled to be an American.
Tho, as of late, sometimes embarassed.

At birth, God bestowed upon each of us the most important responsibility there is...................free will.

I have found buttons from Maine, Connecticut and New York within 50 feet of on another, as well Confederate buttons. I have a strong suspicions they ( the Yanks an Rebs) were not sharing the field at the same time.N/T
Posted by: Vernon in Virginia~Formerly Alaska
Date: February 24, 2012 11:36AM

(This message does not contain any text.)

There were also many articles of clothing and armaments scavenged off of the battlefields as well Many soldiers hadn't been refitted for quite a while..............
Posted by: therick
Date: February 24, 2012 02:15PM
Taking better condition shoes, pants, jackets and weaponry off of the dead was just act of survival and not meant to be disrespectful. Once the war was over and everyone tried to get back to some sort of normalcy, it's possible that a Connecticut coat went back to Michigan or a Pennsylvania coat went to Maine. It was merely an act of self-preservation. The South had it even worse because even though they were the principal producers of cotton, the textile operations were in the North so late in the war, the South was one rag, tag group of soldiers and they were forced to scavenge and wear whatever they could fit into.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/24/2012 02:16PM by therick.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login