Findmall.com

American Ghost Town Hunters

Welcome! Log In Register
How many would like to see ghost schools :bouncy:
Posted by: LabradorBob
Date: February 23, 2013 06:01AM
If so give the State,county, and township if you know it!
also, please state either public or private.
if you do not state which, i will post it on the Forum.

Public is on the Forum,private will be an e-mail so i will need your e mail address.
This is so i can send pics to you.
Thanks,

LabradorBob

Missouri

Remember to keep those coil covers clean!
Go to the Maps and mapping forum here:
http://www.findmall.com/list.php?69

Re: How many would like to see ghost schools :bouncy:
Posted by: mudpuppy
Date: February 23, 2013 06:51AM
Yeah! out west theres areas all the local people referred to as the "school section" I believe it was a section of land appropriated for a school house.

30 years ago up in Grygla MN east of town @5miles, there was an old abandoned school on some farmers land...it was tin roofed and tin outside, plaster inside. He wanted it off his land, and me and a buddy wanted the tin, so a deal was struck, once we pulled the tin off the outside, low and behold it was built out of cedar with dovetail corners! We of course took it all and reconstructed it....so just the other day I zoomed in by satellite to that spot, from the air, you cant ever tell anything was there, but if I ever get up there with the detector, or if somebody lives close like McDave, it would make for a hunt. Even in that open field a fellow should start hitting nails pretty fast, and then settle in to work it good.
Mud

Nasty words, and suggestive post.

Posted by: Larry (IL)
Date: February 23, 2013 07:59AM
Those are fun to hunt and I usually don't find much but what I do find is old. :biggrin: Old plat maps will usually show where the old schools were and around my parts of the country, a school was every few miles along the rural roads, some are still standing.

Bells and whistles are nice, but nothing will substitute for the basic understanding of the hobby.

:minelab: CTX 3030

Posted by: Charles B
Date: February 23, 2013 08:47AM
We have many old one room school houses in North Central Pennsylvania still standing. I have a local map that shows where all of them were from about 1850-1950. Sometimes these were used for other meetings as well as school. They are a good place to find marbles and toys but most children didn't have any coins to lose; occasionally I've found one. Old churches on the other hand, especially if they had an outdoor picnic area are generally productive.

Beil's #1 Rule

#Number of People X # of Years Occupied = # of Lost Items

I've had success by following this rule. I particularly look for places of entertainment at ghost towns....picnic grounds, fairgrounds, taverns, church grounds, swimming holes, old ball fields, gambling spots etc.... money was tossed around a little more freely here.

Date: February 23, 2013 08:52AM
Yes, and a lot of the old churches had Brush arbors outside.

Missouri

Posted by: Deusdigger
Date: February 23, 2013 07:44PM
This forum section is full of good ideas, thanks guys. :thumbup:

I use what works.

My posts are of my opinion only and I do not represent any other persons or organization of any kind.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/23/2013 07:46PM by Deusdigger.

Posted by: Diggin' 4 Silver
Date: February 24, 2013 04:03PM
I've got one built in 1856 less than 300 yards from my front door :detecting:

Best finds to date: 1872 Shield Nickel & 1863 Indian Head Cent
:garrett: Ace 250
:garrett: Pro Pointer
Lesche Digger
Athens, Illinois :usaflag:

Date: February 24, 2013 06:53PM
Do you hear children laughing at night?

Diggin' 4 Silver
I've got one built in 1856 less than 300 yards from my front door :detecting:

Missouri

Posted by: Diggin' 4 Silver
Date: February 25, 2013 06:49PM
Ha Ha no but I'm convinced we share the house we live in with a ghosts or 2. Used to be a parish manse (built in the late 1890s) for the church next door & they used the livingroom for viewings at funerals......

Best finds to date: 1872 Shield Nickel & 1863 Indian Head Cent
:garrett: Ace 250
:garrett: Pro Pointer
Lesche Digger
Athens, Illinois :usaflag:

Date: February 26, 2013 07:10AM
Lol Right after i moved into my old house, one night something woke me up, i thought i saw someone go by the bedroom door and heard the bathroom door move.
I got up and looked but there was no one there.

Missouri

Posted by: Robert2300
Date: February 26, 2013 11:29AM
I'd like to meet some GHOST KIDS at
the school. Maybe they have a yearly reunion?:laugh:
Robert2300

Posted by: fongu
Date: March 04, 2013 11:35AM
I wonder if you had an infrared photo of that location if it would show anything? Not the FLIR, but either digital or film infrared photographs.

mudpuppy
Yeah! out west theres areas all the local people referred to as the "school section" I believe it was a section of land appropriated for a school house.

30 years ago up in Grygla MN east of town @5miles, there was an old abandoned school on some farmers land...it was tin roofed and tin outside, plaster inside. He wanted it off his land, and me and a buddy wanted the tin, so a deal was struck, once we pulled the tin off the outside, low and behold it was built out of cedar with dovetail corners! We of course took it all and reconstructed it....so just the other day I zoomed in by satellite to that spot, from the air, you cant ever tell anything was there, but if I ever get up there with the detector, or if somebody lives close like McDave, it would make for a hunt. Even in that open field a fellow should start hitting nails pretty fast, and then settle in to work it good.
Mud

Posted by: fongu
Date: March 04, 2013 11:42AM
I've always heard that black children didn't have access to public schools like white children did. However, when I read the history of worth county, ga, there were 2-3 times as many schools for blacks as they were for whites. The schools were separate back then and a lot smaller schools closer to home. Mostly due to lack of buses and people had to walk to schools or ride a horse or mule if it could be spared from farm labor. Bob, if you can find any maps about school locations in worth county, ga and I don't remember the zip code, send me an email. 99% of these schools are gone, either torn down or burned down.
The same thing happened to most of the early court houses. If you need more information, let me know and I will try to find it for you. Thanks...

Posted by: 7centsworth
Date: March 16, 2013 10:17PM
Larue county Ky private. Thanks.

Christian Ky Boy
Minelab x-terra 70
Minelab pro find

Date: March 17, 2013 08:39AM
7centsworth
Larue county Ky private. Thanks.

Message sent!

Missouri

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login